Author Topic: Fight for Independence  (Read 2302 times)

Jeff

Fight for Independence
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:13:08 PM »
   I became disabled about 5 years ago. Since most of my work was as a consultant or short-term contract, I realized I would have to do as much as possible to keep my monthly bills lower once I retired. Little did I know I would be "retiring" early!!

Suddenly without income, I found out the hard way how difficult it was to get any kind of assistance in meeting my monthly bills. The first necessity to go...Electricity! I had already started using some solar-heated water, but a friend helped me build a slightly better solar water heater out of scrap parts, garden hose, and an old window. I couldn't believe how well it worked! I had replaced my electric water heater years ago with a 40 gallon LP Gas one (HUGE savings!), but now I could store the solar heated water in it. One very cold & cloudy winter, I had to light the pilot light on the water heater, but THAT'S ALL the extra help it needed to keep 40 gallons of very hot water.

The electric company (of course), wasn't much help. After the first time they cut me off, my family and an Independent Living organization got a generator for me. I got one just big enough to run the two biggest energy hogs...the pump for the well and the washing machine. They both draw about 12 amps, and the generator could easily run one, but not both at the same time. I figure that's just right because it saves gasoline that way.

Well, after the third or fourth time various people helped get my electric turned back on, only to be disconnected again after 3-4 months, my parents figured they'd save money by buying me Harbor Freight's 45w Solar Panel Kit, and a Chicago Electric 1200w inverter. I already had one WalMart Deep Cycle Marine battery rated at 115amp/hours. They have a 3 year full warranty, and a 10 year pro-rated replacement warranty, you can't beat that! Since they are so cheap ($59 minus $9 if you have an old one to turn in!), I had two more from friends & family within a couple months. I now have four of them, that's 460amp/hours of storage.

The inverter isn't the best, but beggars can't be choosers. I did rewire the thermostat in the fridge to turn on/off the inverter as necessary. It saved a lot! The fridge is old and on it's last legs, but it's small, and only uses 4.75amps at start-up.

This whole setup is now 1 year old, and providing almost all my electricity! I only have to use a small charger (2amp, draws 0.4amps of 120v AC) at night. This should only put 0.55KwH on my meter per day, but due to the electric company changing the multiplier on the meter during supposed "peak" times, it varies from the 0.55KwH it should be, to 4.0KwH a day! This is the only electrical appliance hooked into the grid! I've even run a seperate wire/circuit, and turned off all other breakers supplying my home!

The total invested so far in this system is $544, with a little extra $3-$5 now & then for little things.

Since joining this site, I see I need a good charge controller & hope to get one ASAP. I've proved a little 4amp windmill project works well, but I need to rebuild it now for a more permanant use. Either this, or the charge controller should put me over the "hump" of having to be on-grid. I just got a 10-day cut-off notice today from the electric company.

This last month, my bill says I used 88KwH in 30 days. The electric co-op states a charge of $.089/KwH (8.9 cents), but the total bill was $22.28. A little math shows the total cost is 25.3cents per KwH!

Can't wait to get off-grid permanently!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:13:08 PM by (unknown) »

Slingshot

Re: Fight for Independence
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »

This should only put 0.55KwH on my meter per day, but due to the electric company changing the multiplier on the meter during supposed "peak" times, it varies from the 0.55KwH it should be, to 4.0KwH a day!

Wow!  I've never hear of an 8X multiplier for peak-hours usage!  Is this common?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:35:28 AM by Slingshot »

Jeff

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »
No Slingshot, this isn't common! This is a very rural Electric "Co-Op". Nothing like a bigger city supplier like Niagra Mohawk, CP&L, or Progress Energy. During peak times, they claim the extra power costs them 2-3x as normal. When I first moved here, I ended up using UPS's on all my computer & TV equipment due to voltage fluctuations from 90-130 volts. After repeated attempts to get the elec. company to do something about it, I ended up having to come up with my own "fix".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:43:58 AM by Jeff »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:31:10 AM »
Your co-op doesn't have a "customer charge" or something similar? Ours charges a $12 fee just for the privilege of having a wire hooked to our house. If we use 12 Kw/month, we pay $1.09/Kwhr. If we use 1200Kw/month we pay $.10/Kwhr. Oh, and if I want to take advantage of time-of use rates and use electricity when there is a a surplus of it on the grid, I get to pay a $13.20 "customer charge"  Nice incentive for conservation... Not.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 10:31:10 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:55:21 AM »
Farmer of Volvos;

Yeah, our electric co-op has a whole list of "nickel and dime" charges. Access charge, delivery charge, Rail delivery fuel surcharge, and of course the meter charge. The KWH price is like 9 cents but the real cost is somewhat higher per KWH after they sneak those other charges on there.

The good thing about a co-op is, last year I got a dividend [I think thats the term] check for about $200 as my return for buying power about 10 years ago. We used to get a bulk rate, too with an all electric house and the controls on things like water heater and space heaters. No more. Our use hovers around 300 KWH / month and falling as RE sources come on line. Not bad for an all electric home, I think. We heat with wood or that number would be astronomically higher. They just installed digital meters in the area so I figure time of use metering will be next. With the Mate on the way for the Outback, I will be able to charge in cheap power hours if / when I need to top off the batteries in times of low RE incoming.

Good luck pulling it all together, ruralMG

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:55:21 AM by TomW »

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:39:32 AM »
My co-op charges $14 per month just for the privelege of being connected to them. They also charge about $4 (varies) just in case they have to purchase extra power during peak times.

Well, I finally got some of my heating system put together & working! Right now, it's using an old 110v kids' pool pump to circulate the water (1 amp), a 15" 110v fan (1/2 amp), and an old 18" square radiator from a '67 Ford Falcon. I have an old solar water heater hooked up to a 40gal. LP gas water heater, but using it for heat too, I have to keep the pilot light lit to keep up. I have the pump & fan hooked up to the thermostat for my old 220v furnace, and so far it seems to do the trick. I'm still in the process of making a nicer solar water heating unit. It will be insulated, with a small 4w 12v light bulb inside I can turn on in case the nights get too cold. I had hoped to get that all together by now, but I can only get about an hours-worth of work done a day. I've tested it out, and got 2 1/2 gals. of 110-120deg. (F) water out of it every 15 minutes. I'm going to hook that up to 2-55gal. drums and insulate the heck out of them...eventually.

Hopefully, a cheap solution will pop into this head of mine to change the pump & fan over to 12v. But...

These ~!$^%# folks here have got me realizing I have all the stuff here already to make a tracking system for my solar panels! Thanks guys! LOL I'm not going to get, or put together an automatic controller for it right away, but at least I'll be able to adjust both axes semi-manually. I'm using the 12v motors from an old T-Bird power windows system, and for now, I'll even use the buttons on the armrest to control both motors! Glad I have a good ammeter I can put in there so I can see when I'm getting the most out of the panels.

Well...if I keep typing, I won't get any of this done, so off I go!!!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:39:32 AM by Jeff »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 07:04:02 PM »
The fan is easy enough.  Cheap (free) with a little luck.

CmeBREW posted a fan too good to be true.  So I made a few. He's right!

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/3/10/23942/1876

This one of mine pulls 317ma at 13V, IIRC. 4W.  20" box fan blade moves more than a 110V unit on low, not quite as much as on medium?

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/TreadFan.jpg

Not sure how the pump is expected to work.  If the head is 3' or less, an Attwood V625 moves an amazing amount of water for the power (13W).  I don't know the hours per day it would need to run, but I expect it would wear out once a year and I'd have a spare on hand.  Still not bad for ~$20?

G-

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:04:02 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Jeff

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
Thanks Ghurd! I tried to reply to this a couple of days ago, and the 'puter disconnected me.

They definitely look like some motors I'd love to have! I even have the Surplus Supply cataloge!

As for the pump, as it's a closed system, the head doesn't matter much. The pump I'm using isn't designed for any head, but it has no problem circulating thru the solar water heater (about 4ft. above it). As long as you put the pump on "the down side", it circulates actually more than I need.

I'm definitely putting those motors on my wish list though!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:33:57 AM by Jeff »

TimV

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:30:30 AM »
I dont know if Vermont still does, (our neighbor state) used to allow the poor "struggling" power company to double(or darn near)the rates in winter..just when you need it most.

Isnt a "public" monopoly all heart.

Our benevolent National Grid Power NY) gives you a bill that would make you think they are giving you power for free...something like 4 cent kwh but its really 5 times that when you add all the fes,taxes,and dozen or so "unexplainables" bedded into your bill..

Last I heard the great watchdog commission in charge of rates allowed a 27% rate increase....Nothing in the papers but as soon as bills come the the politicos will have an excuse why it was absolutely needed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:30:30 AM by TimV »

Jeff

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:22:11 PM »
TimV

Yeah, I come from up your way (my sister & parents are in upstate NY). My parents are in Fla. during the cold months, but in NY during the summer. When they're in NY, their elec. bill in Fla. is only 7-8$$ !!! They have to keep some A/C & heat on in the Fla. place due to humidity, but still...wow! Now when they're not in NY, their elec. bill there is still 30-40$$ !!! Good ole' NY!

Well, my "new" - home-made tracking frame for my solar panels is almost ready to go up! I have both the tilt & rotating axis working like a charm. It'll still be push-button control for a while, but I'll have an inline ammeter I can switch in while adjusting the panels to see that I'm getting max. charging. I still have to get the whole "she-bang" mounted to the top of the tower. Then, before I bolt the panels on the frame, I'll get the tower upright & concreted in. The tower is a 4x4 treated lumber framework, with the upper 12foot section able to pivot down for easy access. For now, I'll be using some surplus Kevlar rope for guy wires. When the aerospace company I worked for went belly-up, I got a couple thousand yards of various kevlar ribbon & cord from the warehouse before they had to clear it out. Can't wait to get it up, even if it's just another 3 amps output for a few hours in the a.m. and p.m..

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:22:11 PM by Jeff »

Jeff

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »
Well, my new tracking frame for my H.F. solar panels is almost done....yippppeeeee!!! The tower is still on the ground, with a 3ft. long axle (from a home-made welding cart) mounted to the top 4-by-4. I'm using just the 3/4-inch dia. by 3ft. long "axle" welded into a 2ft. piece of 2-by-2 angle iron. The former "wheel" is a 10" dia. hub that is the main part of the tracking frame. An old flywheel is bolted & welded to the hub for the rotating axis. Don't ask me what vehicle it came from, it was given to me by a friend that picks up "junk" like this for me. It just happened that the gear teeth match exactly the window-drive motors I'm using from an old T-Bird. I do have tilting capability for the other axis, I'm just too lazy to try & explain, and don't have a cam. I even lucked out when my friend gave me 3 micro switches I used to put a limit on  rotation (both ways) and the upper limit of tilt. All that's left before tipping up the tower is mounting the wiring to it. Looks like rain the next couple of days, so I get to take it easy for a while. I remembered to look at the meter today, since it's that time of the month, and I used 69 kWh last month. I know it'll be a week before I get the panels up & tracking, but this should give me a good (conservative) idea of how much it helps.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:28:18 PM by Jeff »

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 12:42:42 PM »
While my Mother and Sister were visiting last month, I had them take a few pictures. Here's one of the solar water heater I made. It took me 9 months to finish, and at the last minute, I tore some of the black plastic landscaping stuff I used as a backing. I tried some black paint to cover the exposed wood underneath, only to find it melted the plastic! That's about 80ft. of 1" black pipe inside it. My neighbor gave me about 200ft. of the stuff! It's hard to see, but I put a small 2-4 watt auto lightbulb in the center that I could turn on from inside if it got too cold. Didn't have a freeze-up all winter! It also had no problem keeping the 95gals. of water HOT. I have a 40 gal. propane heater, and added a 55gal. drum with 1 thickness of R-19, and 1 thickness of R-15 outside of that all around the drum. I kept the pilot light on on the propane heater, so that helped it a little without burning too much propane. I have the stuff for another one, but time & health won't let me get it finished by winter this year.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:42:42 PM by Jeff »

Jeff

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:48:28 PM »
Some new developements. Getting started on a second solar water heater. Only slightly smaller as the glass donated is 32" x 34".

And here's a couple more if you haven't seen them:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/10/12/183728/14

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/9/30/214954/347

I bet I hear from Social Services, the county, or the electric company again soon due to the free help I can offer, and the reduction of needs. I know it's pitifully small, but I hope to spread the word & make it much bigger!

What comes around, goes around! The people I may help mention it to their churches, who in turn can devote more help in other areas, and those churches have helped me more than once!

Energy Crisis?! Bah, humbug!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:48:28 PM by Jeff »