Author Topic: Anyone else in Ontario enjoying the great wind lately?  (Read 895 times)

Devo

Anyone else in Ontario enjoying the great wind lately?
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »
I have my 8 foot single rotor & a 4 foot single rotor up , both are 12 volt mills.

I put a heavier tail on the 8 foot to see how high I could go before burn out.

Usually I get peaks of 20 amps with the 4 foot on the silo & 35 on the 8 foot(down low to the ground).

Last night my inverter was shutting down from the batteries going past 15.2 volts & the needled stayed right at 80 amps in the house(both mills joined)for 1/2 hour with the odd peg at 90.

When I get everything rewound for 48 volt I will go with new batteries, it seems most my power is used to keep the batteries up , when I have 80 amps coming in & the batteries are almost charged , at 15 volts- 1200 watts I only need to pull 300 - 400 watts off & the batteries will drop dramatically.I have a huge used lift truck bank but i taken care of it poorly , when it is charged fully , a 30 amp draw will drop it down to 12 volts almost immediately , a low draw say 10 amps will last forever it seems , I figure it is very sulfated......

Can't wait to be able to afford a new run of trojan's to see more effeciency...

I was looking at a 48 volt grid tie inverter that charges batteries as well , I will post it here later maybe some of you have tried it & I can get some feed back.

She's blowing hard again today.

Devo  

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 01:42:35 PM by (unknown) »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Anyone else in Ontario enjoying the great wind
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
well devoe ,

i am here in Ontario(wasaga beach) but i have nothing up and spinning.

in fact most of my attention is below ground right now digging out a basement. lol

were are you located and how big is your silo?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:02:56 PM by electrondady1 »

GeeMac

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:39:26 AM »
Hey, that's near camp Borden isn't it? I spent a little time there in 1963.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:39:26 AM by GeeMac »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:46:25 AM »
thats right !about 20 miles north

woke up to a bit of snow this morning.

a bad sign since i still need to pour concrete this year.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:46:25 AM by electrondady1 »

Devo

silo height
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
30 foot silo , with a 5 foot pipe out the top. Last year it shook loose in the winter & came down on the roof between the silo & barn. That mill is no more -lol.

Turns out the problem with my batteries was more small wires & to long of a run , I put some big cables from the battery to the inverter & it is way better, I still have at least 6 feet of cable so I am hoping to set that up better as well. If I can get this Battery/inverter set up working better I can stay 12 volt for 1 more year & use the extra $$ on a lister engine....

No wind today :-(

Devo  

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:09:34 PM by Devo »