Author Topic: More Global Warming  (Read 14448 times)

bigkahoonaa

Re: More Global Warming
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 03:43:59 PM »
Climate change is inevitable.  Look at Alberta for example.  You can dig up dinosaur bones and it has a huge tar sand oil reserve = Alberta was a tropical region at some time in the past, but not today with temps in the -20C.  I think reducing pollution is a good thing and RE can become a viable option for some things.  The scary thing is not global warming, but the possibility of global cooling.  Maybe we should pay people to produce CO2.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:43:59 PM by bigkahoonaa »

richhagen

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 07:02:06 PM »
Thank goodness I live on high ground and far from the equater then.  A trend is still a trend.  Rich
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:02:06 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

TAH

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »
Another thought is that the same people who are forecasting continued temperature increases also forecast record hurricanes in the Atlantic for the last two seasons but three years ago when there was a record season.

All of the global warming theories seem to ignore clouds. Probably because they consider clouds to be a constant level. Clouds affect the temperature on a scale many times that of any estimates of CO2 or pretty much anything else. Cloud formation has a direct connection to the amount of cosmic rays that reach us. The cosmic rays vary by our galactic orbit and magnetic storms in the sun that can deflect them.  

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:43:14 PM by TAH »

TomG

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 07:10:14 AM »
Heh, we're now over $8/gallon here in the UK. Wierdly, people still seem to drive everywhere. At high speed. In huge cars.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:10:14 AM by TomG »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »
...Revving at the lights, roaring down residential streets, and then slamming the brakes on at the last moment...

(Approximately every 50 yards where speed-humps are in use...)

Of course, I'd start by making it illegal to use more than 10W for each car sound system, to save another few kWh and pints of bystander's adrenalin per day!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:24:19 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

finnsawyer

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 09:06:03 AM »
I just read that a Tungusta size meteor may hit Mars in January.  Since it started between Earth and Mars, If it misses it may come visit us as its orbit gets changed.  Just a thought for the day.  Yeah, I'm looking forward to Dec. 21, 2012 too.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:06:03 AM by finnsawyer »

finnsawyer

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »
Some ten thousand to twelve thousand years ago the mile or so thick ice that covered what is now my farm melted.  Today there is 6 to 8 inches of top soil.  It would appear that that is the natural rate at which soil builds up.  I cringe every time I see somebody remove and sell the top soil fron a piece of land.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:10:03 AM by finnsawyer »

finnsawyer

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »
If this were a true Democracy you and I would vote on every issue that came up.  Think about what that would mean.  Technically, it would be doable today.  It would sure put a stop to a lot of stuff.  Would you vote for agricultural subsidies, or a grant to put in a sewer system at Podunk, or to pay for a university at Podunk?  How about going to war with Saddam Hussein a few years ago.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:18:22 AM by finnsawyer »

powerbuoy

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »
Here are my 5 cents ... did not want to stay on the sidelines on this one ...

Without any question -> Leave the planet as nice as possible.

Is CO2 the only cause for this mess? ... of course not. Other studies have shown that methane production is multiple times more worse on the environment than CO2, but what do you want to do about it? Fart less? Kill the cows?

I guess we have to attack wherever we reasonably can. Act now, and do not set goals for 2012 or even later. Solar panels on every roof mandatory at a fair price. EVs on the road for commuters with less than 50 miles of daily commute. Immediate ban on Edison lights ... etc.

Even if someone does not want to invest in solar, wind or others ... There is such a huge potential in energy savings that has not even been remotely tapped yet. What do they say ... one dollar conserved equals ten dollars invested in a renewable energy source ... I look at my place (30 years old) and am disgusted by the quality of the windows and the thickness of my walls. (Insulation value of R12 on simple 2x4s?. What is wrong with American builders? Don't you guys have any shame??? I took a small loan out to have at least the windows replaced. My energy savings will have to pay them off over the next few years. So, by adding attic insulation, the windows, a new water heater and fluorescent lights I managed to slash my E-costs anywhere from 30-40%. Anyone could and should do it.

I also wonder why everybody needs to drive SUVs or trucks over here. Every second office guy in my company drives a pickup truck and acts like he is living the life of the "bad ass can do it all" contractor. Truth is that most of them are on the edge of their capabilities when the wife asks them to put a nail into the wall. Put the wife in a reasonable vehicle and commute with a Geo Metro to the office. It might not look cool but would help tremendously.

Would all these measures really prevent global warming?, ... maybe, maybe not ... it does not matter because our intelligence should leave us with no other way to go ...

Powerbuoy

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 10:26:37 AM by powerbuoy »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »
Ah yes, you have an interesting one there.

If some people don't believe in global warming, OK, it's a shame and probably anti-social, but so be it.

But could they at least avoid taking the piss out of people trying to be careful with our common resources.

I see forums/fora with people trying to discuss electric cars.  They do look a little weird compared to ICE cars because, for a start, they try to conserve weight, and are in no way trying to compensate for small penises or whatever: different market.

Does that licence the non-GW people to take the piss out of the electric car's looks?  As if it even matters much.  To my mind most flashy fast cars (and I see a few, working in finance in London) look like pregnant whales with an exercise problem.  Ugly, wasteful, etc.  If I were to gatecrash a financier's forum to state my view I doubt I'd be tolerated at all.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:28:58 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

dinges

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »
"If some people don't believe in global warming, OK, it's a shame and probably anti-social, but so be it."

I'm not a believer. I'm more of a thinker.

Since when is not believing in something a shame and anti-social ?

"But could they at least avoid taking the piss out of people trying to be careful with our common resources."

Why ? Are those people so sensitive or insecure as to how their actions are perceived by others ? Poor sods. But maybe you're right. It's not fair to fight a battle of wits with the unarmed. Maybe I'm just too harsh because I feel everyone should (have the right to) take the piss out of anyone else. And be the victim of taken the piss out of.

Another point. What makes you think that those 'non-believers' are not careful with resources ? I consider myself to be part of the group of non-believers that is careful with resources. Don't even get me started on the believers that are NOT careful with resources. A.k.a. 'hypocrites'.

"If I were to gatecrash a financier's forum to state my view I doubt I'd be tolerated at all."

If you are insecure and care about people's opinion of you, and derive part of your self-esteem from how other people perceive you, then you'd better not do that. Those of us who don't care much for how others perceive them (I consider myself to be like that) don't mind voicing a different opinion than what is common in that (sub)group.

"Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth." (attributed to Dr. Goebbels)

Once, most people believed that Jews were the root of evil (not just the Germans; basically entire Europe was generally anti-semitic). Most of Europe once believed in god. Most of Europe once believed the earth was flat. Most of Europe considered women to be a lower class of citizens.

In 50 or a 100 years, we will add 'Most of the world believed in man-caused global heating' to that list.

Just because 'everyone believes it to be true' doesn't necessarily mean it's correct.

A detail: 'Global warming' doesn't exist, outside of the media. Global climate change exists. Whether it's man-made (man-caused) I seriously doubt. The climate has been changing for as long as this earth existed. As recently as 400 years ago, we had a small ice-age here (The Netherlands).

Why does man, in its infinite arrogance, think itself so important and powerful ?

The climate has changed for as long as this earth has existed. Everything is dynamic. Nothing is static. Except the S/N-ratio in some discussions.

Question: why is it so hard to -conclusively- proof that man is the cause of global heating ? Irrefutable, conclusive, hard, 'there you have it!' evidence. The kind that would convince people and stop the debate ? Why is it so hard to produce that evidence ?

At best, what I see is correlation... 'since men started doing XYZ, temperature has been going up/down'. Correlation doesn't imply a causal relationship. Everyone knows that people with big feet are better at math than people with small feet. Yet this doesn't mean that big feet cause math geniuses. Why can't the general public get it into its thick skull that correlation doesn't equate causation ?

Oh wait. Most people still believe in god. And read their horoscopes. And avoid walking under ladders. Or staying in hotel room #13. Andr getting married on a friday the 13th.

Never mind. I think I just answered my own question.

I can think of several reasons why our current way of living in the West is not sustainable in the long term. Global climate change has nothing to do with that.

Peter.

(who, if anyone else will say that the sea level will rise because of the melting polar caps, will come around with a baseball bat to beat some sense into that person. 95% of the rise of sea level is caused by expansion of the water at higher temperatures. But hey, melting polar caps gives a much more dramatic image than the thermal expansion coefficient of water, doesn't it?)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:29:34 PM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

fungus

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
Maybe the assumption that 'humans cant do anything' holds true with a small amount of people but when you throw over 6 billion into the mix it becomes a little more complicated..

Humans have left a mark on 83% of the planets total land surface.

We use 20 to 40% of the plants produced on earth each year.

We use 54% of accessible freshwater runoff.

So please, tell me how humans do not have an impact?

If you took a globe and painted a layer of varnish on it then that would be the thickness of our atmosphere, there isnt much there.

I just think that the profit-driven society we're in will only make matters better if it makes more profit. Humans really need to live with nature, not in domination of it.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:39:24 PM by fungus »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2007, 12:59:44 PM »
Hi Peter,

Yes, I should have chosen a much better word than "believe": way too loaded, sorry!

Just one point point: you say...

Question: why is it so hard to -conclusively- proof that man is the cause of global heating ? Irrefutable, conclusive, hard, 'there you have it!' evidence. The kind that would convince people and stop the debate ? Why is it so hard to produce that evidence ?

Because science (unlike religion) doesn't do non-refutable 100% truths about anything, however much it would make better press and politics.  It's still quite an effort to be reasonably sure that 1+1=2 if you don't regard non-intuitionistic mathematics as well founded for example (I don't).  All the theories are open to some degree of uncertainty and later refutation else they aren't science.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:59:44 PM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

dinges

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I suppose you have a point there; there are still people who believe the earth is flat and that we never landed on the moon. Some people simply have made up their mind and won't reconsider, no matter how overwhelming the facts. I don't consider myself to be one of those people. But I've not yet seen the overwhelming, non-politically biased data either yet. I'm not a climatologist nor do I intend to become one. On the other hand, neither are most journalists and other people who discuss these issues...

I had deleted this from my original part, but I'm beginning to suspect that, like one can't positively proof god doesn't exist, one can't proof either that man does not cause global heating either.

If a hypothesis can't be falsified, it's not science. Science rests on the basic foundation that hypotheses have to be falsifiable.

Can once falsify this hypothesis: 'Man is the cause of global heating' ? I think it can't. And it is this argument (with the implicit assumption that man is the cause) that is usually conveyed by the media and as it's understood by the general public.

Peter.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 01:11:00 PM by dinges »

TAH

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »

"We use 20 to 40% of the plants produced on earth each year."

Do you have a reference for this? I very much doubt that we use even 40% of plants that grow in cultivated fields every year much less wild plants.

"We use 54% of accessible freshwater runoff."

accessible? interesting qualifier.

"So please, tell me how humans do not have an impact?"

Has anyone said that humans don't have an impact?

"If you took a globe and painted a layer of varnish on it then that would be the thickness of our atmosphere, there isnt much there."

Very small globe or thick varnish? 2% of the diameter. 80 miles of air or 2.5 mm on a 10 inch globe.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:28:12 PM by TAH »

fungus

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »
The facts about human usage of the world were taken from the July 2005 edition of the National Geographic, I'd expect them to be pretty reputable, looking at their sources it's from the Human Footprint Project at the Wildlife Conservation Society and Center for International Earth Science Information Network.

The quote about the layer of varnish was from the Al Gore film so maybe thats not so accurate ;-)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:51:25 PM by fungus »

fungus

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »
Sorry that was the September 2005 edition.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:52:45 PM by fungus »

fungus

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:55:21 PM by fungus »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »
plus the contrails from airplanes affect the temperature of the earth.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q
=grounded+contrails+temperature&btnG=Search

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:12:18 PM by wooferhound »

TAH

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2007, 05:56:41 PM »
I looked up cultivated land and it looks like it is about 10% of the land area of the earth. 30% is forested. Even if they consider forest timber to be 100% used by people the vast majority of plants in a forest are not trees. Even if the other 70% is desert there is no way people can use even a small fraction of plants that grow every year, no where near 20%.

The page link gives this: "human population density greater than 1 person per square kilometer, within 15 km of a road or major river, occupied by urban or agricultural land uses, within 2 km of a settlement or a railway, and/or producing enough light to be visible regularly to a satellite at night."

I'm really shocked that only 83% of the earth falls into that. I have been to places that you could get lost and wander for days and they would still have been in that 83%.

I think it just proves that statistics can be made to show anything that the ones compiling them want.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:56:41 PM by TAH »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 06:54:41 PM »
LOL

dose that mean I can take off my tin foil hat now?

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 06:54:41 PM by luckeydog »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2007, 08:08:06 PM »
TAH, 59.356% of the people will believe your last sentence.  ; )

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:08:06 PM by zap »

wdyasq

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
Tom,

Be nice to Fungus. He is young and still has several years of regurgitating what the professors say. Then he can face the truth.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:08:10 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

spinningmagnets

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »
Meybe the global climate IS warming...meybe CO2 IS the worst culprit...but don't volcanos emit a LOT of CO2?

I'm NOT in favor of "polluting for fun and profit!", and I am starting to make changes in my own life, but...

Mt Vesuvius in Italy, Krackatoa in the Pacific, Kilauea in Hawaii, Pintaubo in Philippines, Mt St Helens in Washington, active ocean-floor volcanos recently found.

Somebody should pass a bill forcing the US to follow a new "anti-volcano" law.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:38:13 PM by spinningmagnets »

dinges

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »
TAH,

67.34% of all statistics are made up.

Ron,

Can -you- face the truth ?

Because of this thread I decided to read up a bit more on the topic. Contacted an acquantance from the university of Guelph who works in this field (and incidentally participated for Canada in the Bali climate conference recently). I asked her for a few good, non-biased scientific articles on the subject. Introductory reading without the politics. This is what she recommended:

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_TS.pdf

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_Print_Ch09.pdf

I'm about half-way throught the technical summary now. Very interesting to read. No politics, pressing of political agendas, just lots and lots of data and research combined (a bit like Sandia labs perhaps ?). All combined, they do paint a picture. Straight from the horse's mouth, without the filtering and dumbing down that your friend Al Gore did.

I haven't read all I want to read yet but so far, I thought it was interesting enough to share in here.

You must have had different teachers and professors than I have had. Mine loved to discuss and argue. Maybe that explains how I ended up like this... I hope Angus has similar teachers. And that he keeps questioning their views and opinions with all his might. Make them work for their money!

The best compliment I've ever had, after graduation, from a certain professor: 'When I knew I'd have you in my class next day, I always prepared my lessons a little bit better.'

And I knew when he said that he didn't mean it as a compliment (maybe he reproached me for the extra work I gave him?), but that's how I interpreted it anyway.

Peter.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 09:10:14 PM by dinges »

fungus

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2007, 04:55:19 AM »
At least I can cite my sources unlike half the other people in this thread ..

Dinges; interesting pdf's ; I'll download them and have a look.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 04:55:19 AM by fungus »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »
fungus,

please carry on.

try to ignore these naysayers and arm chair experts.

some how they have convinced themselves that there is an international conspiracy

of scientists to falsify data and to mislead the public.

oh well.

from what i can discern there is no  debate over global warming

except within the corporate media of the u.s.a.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 07:29:40 AM by electrondady1 »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »
There was little debate on Eugenics as well.

Just an interesting read on how science can go wrong, and has gone wrong in the past.

http://www.michaelcrichton.net/essay-stateoffear-whypoliticizedscienceisdangerous.html

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 09:01:13 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TAH

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2007, 09:59:40 AM »
I've thought for a while now that global warming is the re-incarnation of eugenics in a way. The only real way of reducing emmisions to the point that they would even begin to accomplish anything would be a severe herd reduction of around 75% or more. Lets start culling by meter usage, the highest KWHs per month go first. I did here even though it may not be true that Al Gore uses around 6000 kWH per month in his house.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 09:59:40 AM by TAH »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »
drawing a parallel between eugenics and and global warming is rather tenuous at best.

i'm in favor of a long term future for human beings .

it would appear a greater effort and deeper thinking is require than simply

deciding to keep our fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 10:45:15 AM by electrondady1 »

wdyasq

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2007, 11:53:41 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/39jar4

"The Center claims that Nashville Electric Services records show the Gores in 2006 averaged a monthly electricity bill of $1,359 for using 18,414 kilowatt-hours, and $1,461 per month for using 16,200 kilowatt-hours in 2005. During that time, Nashville Gas Company billed the family an average of $536 a month for the main house and $544 for the pool house in 2006, and $640 for the main house and $525 for the pool house in 2005."

Please be truthful when quoting liars.

Ron

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:53:41 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

disaray1

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2007, 01:12:31 PM »
That's a beautiful little nugget. How inconvenient. :)

David

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:12:31 PM by disaray1 »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2007, 01:37:08 PM »
Did you read my link? The parallel is in how scientists behave, who pays their salary, their resulting conclusions, and how nay-sayers are discredited.

If you can really get your mind wrapped around 6.6 billion people living in this earth and their resulting appetite for energy, I think you might conclude that greater effort and deeper thinking are not going to change the direction we are traveling.

"May-be going to hell in a bucket babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"

-Jerry Garcia

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:37:08 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.