Author Topic: I QUIT!!!!!!!!  (Read 6557 times)

Birdmmjb

I QUIT!!!!!!!!
« on: December 25, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »
I give up.  You cant cut energy usage when the husband won't help and spends all day every day crying that its to cold or its too dark.

Well every light is on and the heaters are at full run. I hope he is happy.

Any one wanting my stuff contact me at Janicebryant@alltel.net

By

Jan

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:54:35 PM by (unknown) »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
Re: I QUIT!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 02:48:14 PM »
Sorry to hear it Jan...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 02:48:14 PM by RP »

catweazle

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
Stick in there. Rome wasn't built in one day.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 02:53:41 PM by catweazle »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »
Jan;

Sorry to hear you can't get backup at home. Mid winter low light and short days make folks crazy.

I don't suppose you could sell him instead?

Kidding of course.

Its really too bad people are like that. Got friends who are very smart but just think high energy use is part of living a "good" life. Complain about gas prices but drive the V8 4X4 to work every day they actually only need once a year to pull the camper.

The Grinch.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 02:58:20 PM by TomW »

zeusmorg

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »
 If you are serious about disposing of all your RE gear, you may list what you have, and what you want for it, I hope you don't totally give up on everything you'll most likely find a void in your life.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 02:58:38 PM by zeusmorg »

Experimental

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »
Gee Jan,

Hate to see you give up -- sounded like you were doing a great job and I know you were an insperation to many !!

Although my wife has considered my RE stuff just a Hobby -- she found a great deal of appreciation for it, when the power went out -- than I simply turned on the inverter and we read or watched satalite TV -- then, it was highly appreciated !!

If you just save it for those days, it would still be worth it -- at any rate, I think you did great and my best to you..wish you a happier New Year,   Bill H....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:01:15 PM by Experimental »

Old F

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »
Ok here what you can do just as the sun goes down say honey there is some thing in the back yard

Would you go have a look as soon as he is out side lock the doors .

He will learn real quick that even  a small amount of power and heat is better than none at all

A  bit drastic I know but a bit of tuff love just mite be what he needs to toughen  him up

Any way  it will be a real hoot to see the look on his face.

Old F

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:19:39 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

ZooT

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 03:22:17 PM »
Christmas season got ya'stressed out there?

I wouldn't offer to buy yer stuff for at least a few weeks because words said in anger or frustration are often eaten later.......

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:22:17 PM by ZooT »

Old F

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 03:37:01 PM »
Jan if you cant bring your self  to do the above or it doesn't work

Then I suggest earmuffs not for him but for you

Hang in there

Old F

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:37:01 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 04:02:51 PM »
... Would you go have a look as soon as he is out side lock the doors.

In my opinion that is not so good advice.

Why don't you ask him to help you, instead.

Admit that your efforts haven't done a perfect system yet. And together you might manage to do better.

What about your wind machine? Is it working at present? Any pictures could you post? Maybe he could help you with the pictures at least.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:02:51 PM by hvirtane »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
Hi Jan, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Are you trying to cut back on grid usage to lower your electric bill, and help "do your part",...

Or are you trying to reduce deep cycling an RE battery pack?

(Either way, my humble advice is: don't do anything big suddenly)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:23:45 PM by spinningmagnets »

bob golding

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 04:48:51 PM »
hi Jan,

see if you can use the power of money to persuade him. get an Electra save or something similar that monitors electricicy useage and just leave it lying around. don't mention what it does but just note the readings every now and again, then when its time for a treat he cant really afford just hit him with the statistics for the power you have used in the last month. there is someone in Holland who has hacked the code it uses and sells a usb receiver that logs the power usage on a PC. don't know if this will work but could be worth a try. plus you will have fun playing with it anyway. hang on if there.

cheers

bob golding

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:48:51 PM by bob golding »
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

claude

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »
Jan,

I see three choices, if I were you:

Plan A

If you haven't succeeded in your RE endeavour (because of your husband) then think about your kids. Those panels will still be good in the distant future. Maybe teaching them the value of clean energy might wake up in them the same passion for RE. If money is no problem, store those things. For them. Or for you, you never know when your husband will come to regret his words.

Plan B

Set up a complete system with all you got to power up the basement or a shed. Some place where he can't complain it's too dark or too cold. That will be the new playground for you. And in case of a power outage, the place to be :-)

Plan C

Rent all the doomsday movies you can. I'm thinking "Jericho" type. Make him watch them. Simulate power outages exactly when he watches his favourite game on TV. Then, as a good wife you are, grab that inverter and power up his TV to see the rest of the game. Meanwhile, restore power. He will remember your help. And maybe change his view on alternative energy.

Claude

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 05:08:16 PM by claude »

Birdmmjb

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »
H  Thats funny this is the same man that lived in this house for 4 months during the winter with a window out he is retired and home all day.  After work one night I put the new window in m though my hands would freze off before I got the putty right.  He is not interested in anything that requires him to get out of his chair except a gambling run.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 06:21:39 PM by Birdmmjb »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »
Jan,

You can't quit. You helped inspire me. I bought my first HF panels after your post.

It's that time of year, stressful. Calm down and kill ever watt for right now, it's Christmas. Please go on with your project and don't try to save the world overnight. Do it for the children, do it for yourself, and do it for the newbies.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 06:26:40 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
You two don't sound like a good match for each other (but maybe I'll stay away from that topic).

M

y wife was always behind me and my project.  She's a horse person, so I discovered that I could create an isolated power system around her barns for lights and (maybe) heat water troughs this winter.  Gets her 100% on side, and sometimes it's her sending me out to tinker with something that's not right!  Don't mind at all, dear...

Good luck with the whole thing.  Don't accept second best (in husbands or in technology).

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 06:37:00 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

disaray1

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »
 Aww- C'mon, Jan- you cant quit now! Look how far youv'e gotten AND there are a bunch of us here that find inspiration in you! It's too early in the game to give up!

I too am having a difficult time with the spouse on the implementation of RE and conservation in general, but...baby steps. And insist that he pays the power bill. That seems to be working in my favor so far. :)

Merry Christams!

David

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 06:41:19 PM by disaray1 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 07:29:02 PM »
you seemed to be doing really good with your projects

is he jealous of your new interest ?

stick your dump load under his chair

maybe that will get his butt moving .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:29:02 PM by electrondady1 »

CmeBREW

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 08:08:03 PM »
Jan,

Very sorry to hear about your rightful frustration with your husband. Sounds strange because usually men LOVE these sort of mechanical thing(s).

We would all hate to see you give up something you love and appreciate.

Even though your husband don't appreciate RE, I sure he DOES appreciate television and sports. I would try a different approach myself. The following is just an IDEA!!

I would print out the following OFFICIAL 'Executive report' from the United States Goverenment (set up by Donald Rumsfeld when in office) about the possibility of an Electromagnetic Pulse, and have him read it. (It is long though--- About 62 pages)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/congress/2004_r/04-07-22emp.pdf

Or here's one of times the government talking about it at the House:

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/security/has204000.000/has204000_0.HTM

Tell him if this were to happen (GOD forbid), that you could still have some electricity for lights, TV, vcr, dvd and other some other convenient things because of what you are learning and doing with RE. (However, its not so easy to shield all electronics though)

Who knows, if he reads it and actually believes it, he might just begin to appreciate what you are doing from a different angle.

-WE hope you can find a solution without leaving Jan.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:08:03 PM by CmeBREW »

David HK

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »
Jan,

Quitting is the easy way out for all of us. Carrying on is harder and requires much resolve. I'm into renewable energy for my daughter, and the children of everyone else that live on the planet.

Take a holiday and enjoy Christmas and the New Year then carry on where you left off.

David

Hong Kong

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 11:53:39 PM by David HK »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 04:24:20 AM »
not interested in anything that requires him to get out of his chair except a gambling run.

Sounds like he is a bit tired. Maybe it boring to see you going round the house complaining about the energy consumption and talking about wind machines and such stuff.

He might become interested in reading about energy things anyway. And maybe playing with some solar cells, and later with the mechanical things like wind machines...

Just look at this like a game or a hobby. It is not going 'to save the planet' or doing anything very good for other people. (In fact RE power probably wastes totally much more energy and especially money than more conventional grid electricity systems...)

- Hannu

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:24:20 AM by hvirtane »

Capt Slog

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 04:33:38 AM »
It's hard to convince the rest of em, but hang in there!

I'm slowly making headway here.  Trying to convince everyone that the dishwasher doesn't need the full cycle, and that bloody pots (dishes) will dry if the door is just left open for a few hours!  ("would you use a hair drying on the stuff you've washed in the sink?").

I'm trying to generate a few watts, and in the meantime the household is haemorraging Kw.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:33:38 AM by Capt Slog »

blueyonder

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 06:03:31 AM »
how about a solar powered one armed bandit. then on the days the sun dont shine.

you could show him the plans for a wind turbine.

it might work.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:03:31 AM by blueyonder »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
He has a problem...don't make it your's....

I choose to be happy with what I do

Wife wants me to take my pill ....has something

to do with us living together as long as we can

some silly thing I guess....

51 years with me.....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:40:45 AM by Norm »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
Perhaps backing down abit with the enthusiasums, could help.

For example,

My wife nods her head and pretends to be as interested as I am on the topic of RE. But you will never get a more genuine response, until the day the power is knocked out by a storm. In my area, a hurricane can come thru and leave the power out for several days, even if the storm doesnt really do any damage.

Trust me you will be the hero, if youve got some charged batterys around and an invertor. Just to be able to watch some DVD's, to pass the time, gives everyone comfort, when such a time arrives.

Generally after such an experience, everyone changes there thinking. Get rid of what you think you have to, but stay prepared for a black-out. If He's winning about light and cold now, just wait till the powers really out.

JW

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:38:12 PM by JW »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007, 02:19:37 PM »
My wife nods her head and pretends

to be as interested as I am on the topic of RE.

That seems to be the case with the wives

of my friends, who have got this RE sickness.

(I'm not married, so I cannot compare with

my own wife.)

I've got many friends with other kinds of

technology hobbies, especially motorcyclists.

Wind machines in general seem to generate

even more dependency and to be more time

consuming than even motorbikes...

And that is quite much.  

In most cases spouses are tolerant, if the hobby

doesn't go too far.

But the difficulty is to know, if and when the hobby has gone too far.

In my opinion the limit is somewhere there

that you shouldn't make your hobby

to be more important than things, which put

you together.

So it is not very wise to start

talking about 'saving the planet' with

wind machines and such stuff. It is too big words,

to describe such things, which are taking your

time to spend in a garage and time taken from your spouse?

- Hannu

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:19:37 PM by hvirtane »

Jeff

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »
Jan,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I know how hard it is to convince anyone of the benefits of RE. Even when RE is now my only source of power, and people are amazed that I'm still able to get by, they won't believe! If you are serious about getting rid of any of your equipment, especially for a good cause, I would be interested. Although I can't afford much, maybe a charge controller? Let me know if you're still sure about getting rid of anything.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:30:24 AM by Jeff »

jmk

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »
  If only the power would go out just before his favorite tv program. You could run a cord from the inverter to let him watch his show. Then his attitude would have to change. If not, then unplug the cord and tell him where the candles are
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:49:59 PM by jmk »

pyrocasto

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 09:10:31 PM »
I have a friend who's husband sounds similar. It saddens me to see a woman work so hard while the man is being a complete lazy ass.

Hopefully he comes to his senses and learns to give a little. That IS what marriage is, compromise...

Best of luck,

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:10:31 PM by pyrocasto »

elvin1949

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »
Jan

This is a thought {imagine me thinking} really my daughter came up with this.

DON'T SELL YOUR RE STUFF,just put it in storage.

Turn the heat up so he is happy.

Then call the electric company,and have them turn the electricity off on SUPER BOWL Sunday.

He will want your re stuff then.

What ever you do don't get rid of your re stuff.

You will just have to start over,and it will cost more next time.By the way HF 45 watt kit's are on sale again $199.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:20:38 PM by elvin1949 »

snowcrow

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 07:12:17 AM »
  Well.. Jan, I can't speak for any one else but, I appreciate your efforts in  making owner planet a better place to live, and I'm sure other do too!!  Your contribution, large or small, does make a difference!!!

It is hard to see friends and loved ones turning a blind eye to the problems we will all face in the near future.  I deal with it every day!!  My brother makes good money and pays his eletric bill every month, on time, thus, he says he is entitled to its use, wasteful or not.  My Uncle says, "These problems won't affect me, I won't be alive to see it!!"  Mean while, his stepson is going to college and taking Environmental Science courses, not because he wants to, but because he knows he has to!!  Wise for his years!!

If not for your husband, do it for your kids, and grandkids!  They may not see the effects of your efforts right away but at least they'll know you're in there fighting for their future, and maybe it will even inspire them to do the same!!

"Your contribution, large or small, does make a difference in the air I breath, and the water I drink, and I do thank you for it!!!"

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:12:17 AM by snowcrow »

jmk

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
  My sister lives with me, and drives me crazy! She needs a tv on in every room even if she is on the computer. When she is on the computer she turns the living room tv up so she can hear it. She likes to get up in the middle of the night and turn every light on. I have to follow her around and turn them off behind her in the day. She likes to leave the flood lights on too. She likes to drink the domestic hot water from the tap. This means that she has to run it for five minutes before she fills her cup. It seems as if she does this once a hour. This makes my electric bill go out the roof during the summer, and during the winter when the wood boiler heats it with a water to water transfer heater, it has a hard time keeping up. Electric close dryer, she puts three items in it and turns the setting to 70. She loves to wash cloths. She will wear something till noon change her cloths and wash what she just was wearing. She jokes that the rating of 1,000 watts on wind turbine isn't enough to even make a piece of toast. She's funny isn't she? She will turn the oven on for an hour to make one bake potato.  Hee, hee, hee! She is schizophrenic though and can't work, or support herself. I couldn't ever put her in a home, and after all that I still love her. She is my sister.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:52:41 AM by jmk »

Birdmmjb

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 08:20:05 AM »
Your sister must be related to my husband.  I'm going to take some of the advice from some of you and move the RE stuff to the barn.  He never goes there and when the power is out I'll be comfortable and warm in my insulated barn playing with the little horses. I rase and train Miniature Horses and spend a large portion of my day and nights at the barn anyway.  Foaling time is comming and I sleep in the barn when a baby is due.

So to the next project I've wanted hot water to wash the horese so thats what I want to work on this week. The insulating of the house will have to wait until spring as my daughter won't have time to help until then.  Wish me luck

Jan

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:20:05 AM by Birdmmjb »