Author Topic: 18' Hybrid Wincharger update  (Read 1432 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
18' Hybrid Wincharger update
« on: January 20, 2008, 08:47:09 PM »
  After my welding friend Dave Moller and I lowered my tower a couple weeks back I pulled the blades as planned after one blade had hit the tower in 50+ MPH winds late in November. It isn't often we have sustained winds at this speed so I decided to let it run to test it's limitations. It ran too fast before completely furling, I was shooting for under 200 RPM max @ a conservative 3 KW. Well, after pushing it to 300+ RPM and over 6 KW at times I had a blade strike the tower, it wasted about 2' of the tip.

Taking advantage of good weather (and the wait for 3 new blades to be carved by Dave) I decided to pull the rotors, stator and hub for a complete inspection of the parts in my basement. Well, the stator has blistered and discolored obviously from running too hot which didn't surprise me to see when you run things at more than double it's rating. (new one is completed already) Rotors and magnets look great, no problem with heat there, they are not totally cast in Wests System Epoxy so the 3/4" thick magnets swirl the air around well.

I'll replace and repack the bearings, races and modified seal etc., at about $15.00 with it apart anyway why not ? I'll be taking the main assembly to Dave's shop and he'll be reducing the tail angle to reduce the furling wind speed and will be carving my new set of 9' Wincharger profile blades on his self designed carving machine also. When this all goes back together I'll be installing a service panel at the tower base for a short stop switch and plug for untwisting the cable if necessary. Photos and updates to follow. Dave B.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:47:09 PM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

harrie

Re: 18' Hybrid Wincharger update
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »
Thanks for the update. At this point, are you satisfied with the water heating results, as far as being fesiable???
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:07:28 PM by harrie »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
Hello Harrie,

Yes, heating water direct has proven itself to me to be a great way to store and use the energy produced. I use hot water basically on a 24 hour schedule so any wind in say 23 hours of each day will increase the temperature in the 50 gallon holding tank which is plumbed in series with my main 40 gallon tank.

The 18' seems to be matched well as far as the amount of water storage to power to my schedule and use. The numbers show (and it proves out) that 500 watts continuous will raise 50 gallons of water 50 degrees F. in just over 12 hours. You can see that if the water in my holding tank is already at say 65 degrees just how helpful any amount of power can be, if it's spinning it's heating, simple and efficient when there is wind.

I can't wait to get it back together and flying again and this time with the furling and load dialed in to limit it's speed and output to well below it's safe rating to start. Thanks for the reply,  Dave B.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:09:10 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems

coldspot

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »
 Dave B-

Great to learn your water heating is working out for you !!    :)

A question,,.. What are you using for the elements??

Also, did you ever sell the cut down to 6' blade set??

PS:  your TOWER is the wish list for me and many more I'm sure!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:31:05 PM by coldspot »
$0.02

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. My stator is purposely wound for approx. 100 VAC @ 200 RPM to use standard 120 V hot water heating elements. Each phase is connected to a seperate element in the standard electric hot water tanks (upper and lower in the 50 gallon tank and the lower element only in my main 40 gallon tank. The upper element is still connected to the grid and it's original thermostat also. Each of the other 3 heating elements (presently 2000 watt elements) are connected to their own double throw thermostat where when the temp is at max. will switch to an external (matched load) as a safety dump load.

At present these dump loads are electric radiant heaters so I heat the basement if ever they kick on. Matching the load to the blades has been the challenge, these blades really perform. I still have the blades I am replacing, 2 are now approx. 8' and the damaged blade is also 8' but with approx. 2' damaged at the leading edge of the tip. I even have 2 pieces of the damage that if someone was handy could no doubt repair the tip with epoxy and glass. Dave B.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 09:32:12 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems