Author Topic: BMN a first rate community & dump load controller  (Read 4728 times)

Boss

• http://outfitnm.com
    • Outfit Renewable energy site
BMN a first rate community & dump load controller
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
Brian's Morning Newsletter

March 3rd 2008

Good Morning

Here it is 6:30 Monday morning and the start of a new month. Guess I better get after my ritualistic writing, although I feel kind of out of it from a largely sleepless night. Can't say it was worrying that kept me awake, but it is hard not to worry when I can't sleep. At some point this weekend, Robert Jones asked me to repost his plea for aid as he desperately struggles with both physical and financial survival after chemotherapy. We will make a humble deposit today. For those who wish to help, accounts have been set up at Wells Fargo and Community First Bank in Las Vegas NM. I don't see account #s on this post. These are small banks, so maybe we just write Robert Jones on the deposit slip. Whatever we can do to help this wonderful man recover from cancer will be appreciated. We send many blessings into the universe for you Robert.

Saturday morning was not unlike any other Saturday morning around here, except for me. I have removed the smoke from my morning of cigarettes and Kaptin Kangaroo. I now have a tendency toward restlessness in the morning. What the heck am I going on about? I am back to a single cigar per day ritual. I know, this is probably like a junky saying, "It's not addicting if I just snort it?" No need to worry, with my current regiment I am fully aware of how addicted I am to cigar tobacco. All sorts of crazy ass thoughts go through my head in the morning as I wait for the self imposed, do not smoke before Noon rule. Let's see, I have stuck with this now for about a month. It's tough to be sure. I absolutely can not sit still. Saturday I tried to watch our morning movies. The only reason I was able to follow the plot is we have three televisions hooked together and I can at least hear the movie if not see it from the kitchen sink, where I spent an hour on dishes and busying myself with kitchen cleaning and who knows what else. Then a scene from one of our favorite movies, Sid and Nancy, developed, with me in place of Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious in my pajamas pushing the vacuum cleaner allover the house. We have been watching movies with subtitles on so the noise wasn't too intrusive.

We had company coming over, so we were extra motivated to get the week's mess pushed under the carpet. Later Saturday, newsletter correspondent Mary Beth and Craig dropped in for a visit with a relatively recent BMNer and his wife, Laurie or Lori? Chris W. has been with us for six months. They are from San Diego area and, yes, they barely survived the wildfires. They brought us very much unexpected gifts: Beautiful ball caps with the words Las Tusas Ranch embroidered. Thanks you guys. They also brought us a blizzard, but we won't hold this against them, smiles. This weather was a much needed change of pace. If it had remained warm like it was last week, fruit trees may have prematurely budded and blossomed. Plus Lori hadn't ever been in a snow storm before, being from southern California. So that was neat to see. They are wonderful people. Hanging out with them, Craig, and Mary Beth was just the Best.

While we visited I pulled up a bit of memorabilia from my website. Fellow BMNer Hugh S. has been adding old Polaroid photos to his gallery. Way to go Hugh. Those are great. Randy's homecoming? From grad school or what? I don't know if you are aware of this but everyone that registered at http://outfitnm.com has a free gallery to upload photos to. Here is a link to Hugh's and Melissa's gallery.

One last note about dump load controllers

Kevin. We'll need a dump load controller for the synergy fest mill

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/8/24/172521/889

Here is the kit from Ghurd, but I have most of these parts. I need to find the free circuit board design and etching program I had on before I upgraded Linux. Brian.

The circuit design was intended for the smaller systems.  

It is expected to fill the obvious gap between NO controller and a complicated or expensive controller.

The major design parameters were proper function, versatility, simplicity, ease in understanding, trouble shooting, and obtaining parts. And low cost.

The schematic is a virtual map of the circuit board.  Those who prefer a more standard format probably don't need this circuit.  

Simple. The PCB was laid out to minimize risk of solder bridges. Nothing has more than 3 legs. Everything except the voltage divider output is On or Off.

Some mosfets will have a different pin configuration.  Be sure to get the G, S, and D in the proper holes.

Understanding the circuit, a crash course:

The rectifier diode protects the circuit against reverse polarity.

The Green LED shows the circuit is connected to the battery.

The Yellow LED shows the circuit is dumping excess power through the dump load, or the item connected to the LVD has power.

The first Zener diode and the pot is a voltage divider used to monitor the battery voltage.

The second Zener diode protects the ZM and 2N7000 mosfet from over voltage conditions.

When the voltage from the pot to the `ZM' is lower than 4.6V, the ZM grounds the 2N7000 gate and the remainder of the circuit is off.

When the voltage from the pot to the `ZM' is higher than 4.6V, the ZM is open and the 2N7000 gate has 5.1V. This turns on the rest of the circuit.

The P Channel mosfet sees low voltage at its gate and it turns on.  It supplies voltage to the power mosfet gate, turning it on.  The dump load is now on.

The capacitor provides enough delay in cycling to ensure the circuit does not go into excessive oscillation.

The extra steps (from N to P to N) provide a fast hard square switching, and allow for the use of numerous and various models of N channel power mosfets.

Meaning the expensive power mosfets need not be logic level or have an ultra low resistance (if the amps being dumped through it are low enough and the heat sink is large enough).  Even a lowly IRF530 can be added to supply 2A to another dump load.

Resistor RX determines the hysteresis.  The lower the ohms of RX, the tighter the hysteresis.

Some people or systems want a tighter hysteresis, like 0.06V.

Others desire a little more tolerance, like a hysteresis of 0.15V.

Using the circuit as a low voltage disconnect, a hysteresis of 0.6 or 0.8V is good for me.

A brief parts list.

D1 blocking diode=1N4001 to 1N4007, LED1 is green, LED2 is yellow, LED resistors R1 and R2 = 3.3K (between 2K and 10K), C1= 10uF 16V (between 2.2 and 47uF, 10V minimum), ZD1 and ZD2 = 5.1V,  R3=51K, R4= 0 to 500 ohms (lower with many power fets or higher for LVD use, centered on 50 to 100 ohms), R5= 3K to 10K (3K with less hysteresis, or 10K with higher hysteresis, even 100K for use with a low power load for an LVD circuit).

N-fet=2N7000 or similar.  About anything that can take +-20V at the gate.

P-fet=BSS92, BS250 or similar.  About anything that can take +-20V at the gate.

Power N-fet=IRFZ44N or similar.  Any power N-fet can be used, provided the current it carries causes less than the watts of heat it can tolerate and dissipate.  The IRFZ44N is a personal favorite because it is cheap, has low resistance, causes less heat, and can take reasonable (6A) current without much heat generation.

I like using a separate dump load for each power N-fet.  I have never seen a failure using an IRFZ44N supplying a 6A load.  I have seen 5 or 6 parallel IRFZ44Ns consistently fail while conducting less than 20A peak.

A higher hysteresis (like 0.08 or 0.1V) will minimize the chances of a power fet failure.

The RX resistor/hysteresis values.  1.8K/1.0V, 3K/0.8V, 3.9K/0.62V, 51K/0.14V, 100K/0.1V, 150K/0.08V, 180K/0.06V, 220K/0.04V.

Values for RX below 1.8K are getting near the danger zone and are not recommended.

Values above 220K are simply not needed and could cause problems.

It is of the utmost importance the wires for the circuit are separate from the wires supplying the dump load.  Otherwise the circuit will see the voltage drop from the dump load as a reduction in battery voltage.  The wires MUST be separate.

A fly-back or freewheel diode must be included for many dump or LVD loads, or the voltage spike will ruin the power fet.  It is not only for this circuit, it seems to be common for many switching circuits.

Calibrating the unit.  I suggest calibration without a dump load connected.  If the yellow LED is lighted, the dump load should be on.

A variable voltage supply is easiest. They can be easily made from a LM317 or LM780X (7805, 7806, etc).

A friend has no access to a variable voltage supply.  He used a running automobile to obtain 14.15V.  Simply 100% Genius.  The voltage on some cars (mine) can be slightly varied by turning the headlights or A/C on.

Everyone has their own ideas of what is best.  My personal preferences would be...

About 0.08V hysteresis for a dump load, for no particular reason except I think it is enough to accept the charge current, drain the surface charge, and not actually drain the battery (much).

About 0.62V for an LVD, because it is usually enough for what I do, without being too fast.  It allows for the loaded battery to reach 12.2V (about where hard sulfation can occur) before disconnecting, and 12.82V before reconnecting (to allow for a bit of voltage due to surface charge).

A switch between the circuit and battery will allow for manual equalization.

The unit can be used for a dump regulator, an LVD, a controller for charging a second or third battery, or about any combination of the above.

It will be available as a 150W kit.  Waiting for a few more parts to show up.

The kit will include the PCB and parts shown, an assortment of resistors, 2 power N-fets, some heat shrink tubing, LED retainer clips, etc.  

The kit will not include the actual dump load, enclosure, switch, wires, etc.

Looks like $12.50.  I'll get it up in Classifieds soon.

Anyone using this circuit feel free to jump in with information or pictures!

Open for questions.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 03:55:02 PM by (unknown) »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: BMN dump load controller
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:12:10 AM »
"I need to find the free circuit board design and etching program I had on before I upgraded Linux."

OR... you could shoot me an email?  Seems a lot easier.

Just a thought.

ghurd1 at yahoo dot com

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:12:10 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

independent

Re: pcb design
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
Here is a link to an article abou gEDA. A GNU/Linux PCB design program.

Not that I recommend reinventing the wheel twice. Ghurd's been a real help and I have 2 of his controllers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:43:57 PM by independent »

Boss

BMN Wind and no mill still
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »
Brian's Morning Newsletter

March 5th 2008

Good Morning

Where to begin? That was pretty wild yesterday; power outage killed my connection because my internal router isn't on a battery backup. I went in the other room and plugged the router into the living room UPS and sat back at my desk to try a resend and this computer had turned off. I had all sorts of stuff open too, including an Open Office HTML Document. I had already moved the text to Mozilla's Thunderbird email client, so that didn't matter too much. Luckily Thunderbird did an auto-save, before it went out. This PC shouldn't go through its batteries so quickly. We have a 1500watt UPS on this system. It must be a sign that is time to replace this 19 inch CRT monitor with a more energy efficient LCD monitor. I freaked out for a minute after I restored battery power and the keyboard didn't work. I got the classic message, "Keyboard error or no keyboard present, hit F1 to continue." That's a good one.

We're excited to be going renewable energy as a backup here at the house. I have two marine deep cycle batteries from last year Tusas Campo. I really should start looking for real RE storage batteries for the house and Memorial Day party. We are hopeful the axial flux wind turbine we built in Colorado will be up in time for Synergy Fest. Putting all the various aspects of building the four ten foot wind turbine at Luna community college together is less certain. I'd like to get started winding coils and making stators first thing. Working one day per week isn't very conducive to getting things done in a hurry. We are missing the windy season here in northern New Mexico, which makes me anxious to get a mill in the wind. The way life usually works out, the wind will quit the day we erect the tower. I've been trying to save up for a photovoltaic panel to charge the batteries, but this doesn't seem to be working out. Bottom line is photovoltaic panels are priced beyond our means.

We'll keep working on the wind turbines as a community. I saw BMNer Louie P. outside the Plaza Hotel where he is consulting on the restoration of the building next door. He said that Luna CC has the perfect band saw for cutting the props. I noticed the last time I was at his shop that he had another set (three) blanks made from kiln dried Douglas Fir laminated and ready for shaping. Louie is really getting a lot accomplished with the wood working. We look forward to seeing what a 3 inch wide band saw blade can do. Next time I am in town, I'll stop by his Iron Horse workshop. That will be Thursday, my next day to work at Luna CC, where we are not waiting so patiently for the supplies to build our wind turbines. Sigh. Last week we scavenged shelving from the college warehouse. While we were there, we did an inventory of the gigantic warehouse. Among other things they have several motorized treadmills and exercise bikes I want to convert into human power generators.

Where are we now? Encouraged that renewable energy can be very useful in the home, especially with power outages being common occurrences. I understand Slim wants to sell the photovoltaic panels we used last year at Tusas Campo. Perhaps these older panels are more in our price range. He did say that he would hang on to them until Memorial Day so we can use them again for our campomento. That was truly awesome last year not listening to ICE (internal combustion engine) generators. This year we will have stage lighting set up with high output LEDs to conserve energy. Electrical storage is going to be an important quest for us. I would like to look at the grant to convert pasture into biofuel production, but I haven't the time. Anyone here qualified to work with grants and willing to take a look at these? Let me see if I can find the link. USDA, DOE to Invest up to $18.4 million for Biomass Research, Development and Demonstration Projects

So there it is.

Don't worry, be happy.

I'll be back in the morning.

Read the rest of the newsletter at my site http://outfitnm.com

P.S. Sorry I (re)posted the story about the turbine meltdown.  I searched the site for it I didn't see it. Still it was way neat to watch. I'll stick it on Yahoo groups Axial Flux maybe they haven't seen it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 09:19:36 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers
My sustainable lifestyle site http://outfitnm.com no ads, not selling anything either

Boss

BMN Rabbits, Roads & duty cycle chargers
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:04:27 AM »
Welcome to Brian's Morning Newsletter

March 6th 2008

Good morning

The weather reports were accurate again. It isn't quite light enough outside to see, but I think there are four or five inches of snow on the ground. It's still cloudy, however right now it isn't snowing. It lightened enough to show us indeed it is still snowing. That's it for weather report. How the heck y'all are? Great. I went to the dentist yesterday, they matched the white (or yellow, in my case) shade for my partials. Not sure why this wasn't already done. The final fiddle around and fit of the uppers is finished and I actually saw them put the wax and steel partials in the box to ship. Smiles. I figure these false teeth ought to fit perfectly after all this attention to detail, well I hope so. Two to three weeks, they said.

Prior to the visit to the dentist yesterday, I worked on the second VW Rabbit, which Slim and I towed home on Monday. Cute little thing, sort of a pastel metallic sky blue paint job. Maybe it looks pastel colored because it is 25 years old. Even so the body appears to be rust free, as does the other Rabbit. Funny, I had a battery core to return after I bought a new battery for the Blazer which I never got around to returning. I had a feeling something was wrong with my modified duty cycle battery charger. Retail automotive battery chargers use an inexpensive system to control the charge to the battery. A thermistor, or a thermally activated switch, simply shuts off current to the battery when a certain temperature is reached inside the charger. This "on" time compared to "off" time is known as duty cycle. Pretty lame electronics, but very economical to build. I have often admired this type of thinking that engineers come up with. You won't find this type of problem solving in circuit design software. I try to be resourceful myself. In order to make a cheap battery charger work harder and faster I created my own workaround: I installed a 12 volt DC computer fan in the battery charger and pointed it directly at the thermistor. Where the battery charger used to shut down every half minute when using the 50 amp start feature, it will now stay on twice as long.

I first noticed something weird happening with the first Rabbit. Neither car had a battery when I bought them, so I had to go through my stash of car batteries and recondition at least one. Of course, there is no way to know what was done to a car before I got it, and not seeing it run adds gray areas to any diagnosis. Electrical trouble shooting is my specialty, so no worries for me. Nevertheless, there were problems with the car starting. After removing the battery cables, cleaning and testing them, as well as several other electrical wiring issues, the car was exhibiting classic dead battery symptoms. I removed the battery connections and tried charging the battery with the car electrical system out of the loop. The battery charger was acting like it was trying to charge a shorted out battery; turning off more than it was on. After an hour of this action, I tried two other batteries, only to see the same results. I put a multimeter on the charger and saw quite a bit of alternating current. Without another lengthy explanation, I will quickly say that AC coming out of a DC charger is not a good thing.

It is possible that the modification to the battery charger was having a detrimental effect, but I doubted this. It has been ten since I modified the battery charger and it has been working ever since. Being that our entire fleet is comprised of 25 year old cars, the battery charger sees a lot of action. Anyway the AC to DC rectifier in a battery charger is prone to some AC leakage. It is usually a good idea to walk away from a perplexing problems, and come back to it another day. Sorry about the long story, I did finally get the battery charger to charge the battery in the first Rabbit, and have taken it for a couple of test drives, although if left for long periods, the battery gets very weak. This suggests ether the battery in there is crap and won't hold a charge or there is a circuit draining the battery. Anyway back to the battery I was going to use as a core for $5.00. I installed this battery in the second VW and although the engine never fired up it turned over for a very long time. Go figure?

Before the storm hit I was working on the blue Rabbit, and added a lift pump to the fuel line to be sure the five gallons of biodiesel I just put in the tank was making it to the engine. Yep, fuel was leaking from the injector return lines. The first time I turned it over the glow plug light lit, however I never saw the glow plugs actually work, as it was getting colder and I didn't have time to set up a test rig for the glow plug circuit, but this is what seems to be the problem. Compression ignition (as opposed to spark ignition) engines need a little help to fire up in the morning especially when it's cold outside. Glow plugs are sort of like spark plugs except they glow because they get hot, like little heaters.

So now I can't differentiate one Rabbit from the other. It appears to be two piles of snow in the driveway. But I do know that one VW starts and runs while the other car still needs attention to make it sing.

Thursday I normally spend the afternoon working a Luna Community College at the Renewable Energy building. But, I don't think Mother Nature wants me there today. Nell is staying home too. Unless the sun busts through the clouds and melts this snow, this is where we'll stay.

Toodle-loo

Contents

1. Letters

1. Is this some kind of a road, or not?

2. Maybe this will help you in some of your interactions with desertgate  and Luna CC

3. Good luck regards,

2. Your Quotes of the Day for 6 March 2008

3. HURRICANE ELECTRIC The wave of the future (AF wind turbines in Florida)

5. Astronomy Picture of the Day

Read the rest of my newsletter here

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:04:27 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers

Boss

BMN snow, tractor, Friday, 3 phase, Gilmore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
Welcome to Brian's Morning Newsletter March 7th 2008

Good Morning

A little on the chilly side here this morning; like zero degrees. Brrr. I played outside for a short while yesterday. First thing is a update on the depth of the snow: Eight inches, easy. And that is out in the open, non-drifted snow depth. I know because this is how much I pushed off the tractor seat before I unsuccessfully started it. Wouldn't you know it? I needed the battery charger and it didn't work again. Our tractor is an antique International Harvester with no cab, not even an umbrella. The battery sits right out in the open, which means it too had eight inches of snow on it. :- It wasn't real cold yesterday, so I thought the old machine might cooperate and make itself useful to plow the driveway. No such luck. It barely turned over after the battery charger was on it for an hour. Now I am more convinced that the diodes are shot or the transformer shorted out in the charger. Time for a new one. I'll hit the pawn shops first and see if I can find a real battery charger like we had when I was a mechanic. A serious battery charger with weight and wheels to move it around.

I gave up pretty quick on the tractor, I know. Better than getting mad or frustrated. Besides, it seems like this snow is going to melt way too fast anyway. We hope it takes a week to melt so that it soaks into the ground instead of running off down the arroyos (gullies.) It sure is pretty outside. A brilliant white blanket of snow covering everything. It made me miss my day at Luna community college though. Nell and I had a quiet day together snowed in, and it wasn't until later in the afternoon that we started getting on each other's nerves. Noooo, just kidding. We like each other a lot. In fact, after the failed tractor starting episode, I rode with my brother Jackson down to the mailbox to see if we got a movies from Netflix, with the ulterior intention of installing the computer I had repaired for him that morning. Yeah, Tuesday's power outage caused more trouble for Jackson than for us. My keyboard bit the big one after the brownout. Jack's power supply got muderized. I took one out of a PC I have here waiting for the fateful ax. Now it is closer to being a write off. I haven't worked on computers here at the house since we dismantled the workbench and reinstalled the wood stove in the house for Winter. Truth is I don't miss working on computers at all.

Of course everyone can use extra income, but service work has too many strings attached. Every repair job has it's own ball and chain dragging behind. The odds are good that a personal computer running Microsoft Windows will be back before my warranty runs out. Anyway, I am glad to be able to move away from the service world and toward renewable energy research and development on a do it yourself scale. Today however, I am scheduled to do a WiFi installation in Rociada, which is just outside Pendaries Village, right at the base of the Sangre de Christo Mountains. Talk about cold. I am waiting for Eric from Desertgate to call me this morning. He is working on a remote WiFi tower by Hermits Peak. A seventy foot tower as a matter of fact. He'll probably be frozen stiff by the time I meet him down at the beginning of our driveway. That dude is seriously dedicated to his WISP.

Well I suppose this is just about all I wrote.

Y'all have a fine weekend.

Contents

1. Letters

1. Re: BMN Rabbits, Roads & duty cycle chargers

1. Fasteasy glow plug check -

2. More fun with art and statistics... Bill 2peaks

3. http://www.toad.com/gnu/

4. This is an enquiry e-mail via http://outfitnm.com from: Biodiesel processor info

2. Video of a commercial wind turbine being destroyed by high winds

3. John Gilmore, Entrepreneur and Civil Libertarian

1. Why I'm Not Answering Your Email

2. US Homeland Security recorded what book I was reading as I crossed the border

4. Astronomy Picture of the Day

Read the rest of the newsletter at my site

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:11:03 AM by Boss »
Brian Rodgers