Author Topic: 18' Hybrid Wincharger - Nose cone & hub photos  (Read 1068 times)

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
18' Hybrid Wincharger - Nose cone & hub photos
« on: March 12, 2008, 05:59:43 AM »
  Shown is the simple way I have "turned" my nose cones from rigid 2" foam sheet as well as my new hub assembly for my 18' rebuild. I router a plywood disk and then layers of rigid foam disks are glued on top. A lag bolt is then screwed into the center of the plywood and the head then cut off making a shaft to be chucked in the drill press. Slow speed and a good wood rasp makes short work of roughing to shape. This now gets fiberglass cloth wetted out and then a few coats of epoxy sanded down to a smooth finish chucked right back into the drill press.

The 1/4" steel hub plates were plasma cut by Dave Moller to my design which I have drilled and are just waiting on the new 9' Ash blades that Dave will be carving also.

So far we have : Cast a new stator, lessened the furling angle, beefed up the high and low stops, replaced and greased new hub bearings and seal, modified the manual brake and cable guide, fabricated a new hub design and nose cone. New blades are in the works by Dave Moller and these will be reversed pitch from the originals turning counter clockwise looking at the nose cone front.

When the weather breaks I'll be installing a panel at the tower base for a "shorting plug and disconnect for untwisting the power cable" and hopefully a high speed shut down circuit. More updates to follow as we near assembly and the re-raising.  Dave B.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:59:43 AM by (unknown) »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

MattM

Nose cone & hub photos
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
Is that cone going to be weighted to stay facing the same direction on the vertical and painted with a smiley?  Only kidding.

I have thought about a shark nose one a cone to match something like a world war 2 fighter sail-fin after seeing some of those cool wind art videos on Youtube.  It's amazing what they've done with metal work.

Damn fine work.  Thanks for posting.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:26:33 PM by MattM »

Warrior

Re: 18' Hybrid Wincharger
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
Excellent work Dave!!

You guys are doing everything very professionally. I specially like the KISS approach. Electronics are wonderful...when they work. I think one of the most important aspects when designing a wind turbine is safety and reliability above all.

Keep up the good work!!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 01:09:36 PM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: 18' Hybrid Wincharger
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. Looks like Dave Moller will be carving my blades tomorrow so that's always exciting. I primed my hub plates today and wetted out the fiberglass cloth on my nose cone so things are moving along. Now if the weather would just cooperate a bit everything should come together about the same time. More photos and updates soon to follow. Dave B.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:20:38 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

jmk

Re: 18 Hybrid Wincharger - Nose cone hub photos
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »
 Hi Dave,

I did the top of my nosecone the same way. My glass went on a little bit course. I should have tried the plastic film trick. I could have sanded it but I put blue enamel in the resin for color. Your doing great work looks nice!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:21:05 PM by jmk »