Author Topic: Coil holding thingy.  (Read 808 times)

Jerry

Coil holding thingy.
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:29 AM »
I've wound the 6 coils for the 4ft Hugh Piggot wind genny.

I used wire zip ties to hold the coils in shape prier to setting them into the mold.

The zip ties are a bit to thick so I rap thred around that small place on the coil replacing the zip tie. After the thred secures the coil I cut the zip tie off.

Heres the holder.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:20:29 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Coil holding thingy.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 02:00:42 AM »
Nice coils Jerry, like your helping hands.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:00:42 AM by Flux »

Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 03:16:16 PM »
I also like your coil winding thingy.  It is often hard to only have two hands to secure a coil before it wants to let loose.  It also emphasizes the importance of trying to keep the coil thin so that it properly fits within the depth of the stator mold.  I am often confronted with students whose natural tendency is to squeeze the coil from inside to the outside, distorting the shape of the coil and making it fatter.  Keep up the production ideas.

Rich

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:16:16 PM by Captain »

Jerry

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »
Thanks guys. The littel ice cube thing in the center is plexy. Its the thickness Hugh calls for. Its also the same dimensions as the magnets.

I've just cut up 6 of these and just leave them in the coil center and then just poure the reson right over them and they become part of the stator. So far seems to work quite well.

I had to change the speaker basket support to another brand. It needed to be about an 1/8" smaller diameter. I'll be drilling mounting holes in it tommorow.

I hope to poure the reson and cast the stator this sunday.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:08:17 PM by Jerry »