Author Topic: Upgrade to Fused Battery Power Distribution  (Read 4924 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Upgrade to Fused Battery Power Distribution
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
The biggest thing that has been bothering me about my Solar Power system is the Hap-Hazard way that I had connected everything to my batteries, Mainly the fact that several things were connected to the batterys that were not Fused or protected in any way. The only thing that had fuses on it was the Output Wires going to the house where I am using the power at. It was all in this little black box that was built and pictured here in a much smaller system at my last house.

So last week I built a really nice Fused Power Distribution Panel for anything that connects to the batterys. In fact "this is the battery" and anything that I hook to the battery will make it's connection here. It is wired entirely with 12 gauge wire. Each Individual input from the battery to it's fuse is a separate 12ga wire. It is constructed in a chassis from an old Radio Shack burglar alarm system. In the picture below, it is installed and operational right next to My Ghurd Dump load and controller...

There are only 4 negative terminals on the strip. Each terminal has two 12 gauge wires going to the battery which is hard to see in the picture. There are 8 numbered Input/Outputs. They They are connected as follows...

1 - (Future) maybe a voltage sensing circuit

2 - (Future) Maybe an output for some lighting around my nearby pool

3 - Output 1 is a 12ga wire to the house- 10amp fuse

4 - Output 2 another 12ga wire to the house- 10amp fuse

5 - Input From Solar Panel Diode Combiner- 10 amp fuse

6 - (Future) Input from Wind Turbine generator

7 - Ghurd Dump Load power connection- 15amp fuse

8 - Dump Load Voltage sense line- 3 amp fuse

All of this stuff is involved with my growing Harbor Freight solar panel system soon to include a 200 watt wind generator and a Long Wire experimental system.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/3/4/6303/63451

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:02:33 PM by (unknown) »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
Re: Major Upgrade to Fused Battery Power
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »
Way to go Woof, bet you're happy with getting that off the list. Nice job.  Dave B.  (needed to shorten your subject line to reply, it adds the Re: and make it too many characters)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:26:50 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

pvale

Re: Upgrade to Fused Battery Power Distribution
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
Nice looking power distribution box. I posted a few pictures a while back on my ugly mess, and something like this is on my list of things to do. I've got one main 80A battery fuse at the moment and nothing connected fused individually. I may have a line on some low voltage breakers though.

Yep, my HF collection is gonna grow about the next time they put them on sale again.

Good going on the fuse box.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 04:50:40 PM by pvale »

zeusmorg

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
 I Love seeing clean installations, nice and orderly, and easy to see what's what.

I bet that makes you feel much safer with fusing.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:38:56 PM by zeusmorg »

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:28:21 AM »
Looks good there Woofer.  I would guess you feel a little bit more secure about your system with everything fuse protected.  Rich
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:28:21 AM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
Way to go Woof!

I started out just like that a year ago or so...

I've since added 4-5 of those blade-type fuses on a few circuits. I just had the 1/4inch blade connectors, and they fit nicely on those type fuses. Got to make sure you use the insulated type with these though! I removed the fuse panel from that old T-Bird I've been using parts from recently with my solar tracking tower. Soon (I hope), I'll get that wired into the system for some much-needed protection!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:11:27 PM by Jeff »

GeeMac

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:16 AM »
It looks downright slick - Dandy job young fellow.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:00:16 AM by GeeMac »

elvin1949

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:20:25 AM »
ruralmcguyver

If you still need a HF controller email me.I have a new one still in box.I got controllers from ghurd.

You can have for shipping.

HF controller in subject line.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:20:25 AM by elvin1949 »

Capt Slog

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:46:04 AM »
Proper Job!

I tried to clear up the mess on mine a few months back but I don't feel I got it quite to that standard.

One of the aspects of RE installation that bothers me is: could someone else look at your work (using the general 'your' here, I'm not aiming this at Woofer), and be able to figure out what you've done?

I know the answer for mine would be an emphatic NO.

The reason it should be a YES is in case I don't get home one night.  Not nice to consider but if I were hospitalised, I would think that whoever is at home doesn't have to worry about my power as well as me.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:46:04 AM by Capt Slog »

HenryVG

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »
I'd agree with da Capt'. I like to put a lot of sharpee descriptions on the things that I cobble together. I always think it'll make sense to me later, but would it make sense to Joe Blow coming in after the fact? I see a lot of good numbering and descriptions on Woof's setup and it makes me think I really need to pay more attention to this in my 'arrangements'.

Dang! One more thing to consider.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:52:09 PM by HenryVG »