Author Topic: Why wind is a potential alternative energy source?  (Read 1226 times)

mukesh13

Why wind is a potential alternative energy source?
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:50:05 PM »
There is a lot of criticism and mostly scepticism regarding wind being an alternative energy source.

First being the reliability of the wind source. Next being the ability of wind generated power to meet peak deamands.

I can go on and on the subjects but will concentrate on these 2 for now.

If the current sources were perfect, I could understand that the critics are demanding perfection from the alternatives being considered. All sources of power or for that matter every individual item has it's own peculiarities.

In any case, in our part of the world, the load-shedding in urban areas is one hour to 12 hours depending where you are. Rural areas have down-time in days. :-(

Point is, whether we can do something about the differing qualities of choices available to somehow meet our objectives?

I think, yes, we can.

If we see the current power plants, they are designed for higher capacity, most of them, than what they operate on most of the times. So, they might be near their capacity during peak demand hours, they are working below their capacity at other times.

Looking at wind, why can't we do the same. Create wind turbines for capacities larger than what is needed, this way we can meet demands for most of the times. At times when we don't have a real need of the power, we can use it for other community specific purposes (something like running fountains in parks, some light sound shows at nights etc.).

Better still, for areas where it may work, let wind turbines be created with high capacities. And the periods when there is additional electricity being generated and not used, let it be used to pump water to a location higher in altitude. Once wind slows, use this water, with a good head, to generate electricity and meet the demands.

Easier said than done, but what we are going through is not an easy situation either. Some such combinations and innovative ways to deal with the situation will give us freedom from oil slavery.

Besides, I am sure, once we move to the alternative energy regime, we will see many positive changes that will give us the room to be not so perfect.

All those dim wits who can't see what is approaching if we continue with current sources of power are trying to sound very intelligent by finding faults with alternative sources. But at this time, intelligent is the one who tries a solution, not the one who faults a solution.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:50:05 PM by (unknown) »

dynaman

Re: Why wind is a potential alternative energy sou
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »
Sometime ago I took some training in energy management, and one of the trainers shared a study that showed that in Montana alone was enough wind energy to power the country. There are many options for dealing with excess wind generator capacity, as you stated, pumping water, or compressing air, even producing hydrogen are all options with good potetential. I live near 2 wind farms and turbines there can be feathered in and out as demand dictates. The current grid may not be well suited to utilize wind, solar, biomass etc, but the grid is old and full of problems, and so we have a great opportunity to upgrade the entire system with more enviromentally friendly technologies. We have workable technology now, all we need is the will. One final thought. A very important piece of any solution as the folks on this board are very aware of is reduction of energy demand. We are very wasteful of our energy and we must do better. This does not mean we have to go back to a primitive lifestyle but we must become much more aware of the impact our lifestlyes have on the planet. There is a lot of very good work being done by people posting here, and that can go a long wat toward the advancement of the technology.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:33:48 PM by dynaman »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:01:45 PM »
" all we need is the will."

this is the fundamental truth that will see us through this transition period.

no one wants to hand down a damaged world to there children.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:01:45 PM by electrondady1 »

mukesh13

Re: wind is a potential alternative energy source?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 06:07:21 AM »
rightly said dynaman, ... The current infra is old and has lived its purpose. Time to do away with it, with a new and fresh approach to the solution.

But as electrondaddy noted, it's all about the will. There are complex vested interests apparently or there are complexities which we are missing. Something is wrong for sure. :(

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:07:21 AM by mukesh13 »

MattM

Re: wind is a potential alternative energy source?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
So you are basically saying we need to have a new rebuilding period - one based upon projections for the future - kind of like when they ran the first transcontinental trains?

I thought the bigger problem right now with wind energy across the country is that the E.P.A. is making ridiculous regulations for the power transmission.  Out in Northern California they can't even get 10% efficiency out of wind power due to the E.P.A. requiring such small power lines coming off the wind turbine farms.  Junk like that has to be fixed before we worry about a national rebuilding program.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:13:22 PM by MattM »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »
 Prevailing wind zones are getting a fresh look .Here are some  Giants towering over the listing trees in oil's backyard . They look refreshing . Out side of Midland, Texas .They make a prefect resource to low production wells and Dry land farming .

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:54:09 AM by tecker »

chubbytrucker01

Why wind is a potential alternative energy source?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
I have driven through that large windfarm in Texas and it is inspiring! I mean it truly makes you feel good to know somebody is getting through to those that can make it happen. It just takes a desire to make it happen and I would be all for shipping politicians to these wind sites to show them first hand how invigorating it is to see progress on such a massive scale. Maybe we need to install a huge ammeter at the roadside of these farms so you can see how much electricity they are producing. Have it set up like one of those roadside stops that says historical stuff like Lewis and Clark camped here. But instead of a history lesson have a calculator set up that has an explanation something like " A kilowatt hour Costs you $.105 an hour at home and this wind farm is producing 300,000 kilowatt hours every hour producing $31,500 an hour."

Just a thought.

Doug
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:55:03 PM by chubbytrucker01 »