Author Topic: 10' axial flux home made windmill -update-  (Read 1887 times)

oldculett

10' axial flux home made windmill -update-
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »

Someone asked about my electrical box.  

I mounted three separate 200 volt, 50 amp, rectifiers.  They are mounted on a piece of finned aluminum which was originally a chunk of sliding glass door track and I put heat transfer putty between them.  One for each phase of the generator that come through a kill or shut-down switch.  I am going to build a dump-load controller but haven't got that done yet.

This is first time the generator had been on the pole.

The blade went on quite well.  I had to hammer a little bit and now I'm wondering how to get it back off when I move it to the permanent site.  Anyone have any suggestions?.

I had set the tower up for a test run and put the guy ropes on so it couldn't tip the wrong way

At the base of the tower, I just welded on a truck rim and a couple of small braces.  I put a couple of chunks of rebar driven in the ground underneath it sticking out about six inches so it couldn't shift very far.

I had ordered cable for the guy wires but it hasn't arrived yet.  I had one large piece so I used that for the pull cord attached to the pickup.

Yay - it's up in the air.  All went without much of a problem.

Of course, now, there is no wind, so it hasn't even made one watt yet, but hopefully it will.  If you have any questions, I have few answers, but I'll try.  Oldculett
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:17:34 AM by (unknown) »

BruceDownunder

Re: 10' axial flux home made windmill -update-
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
Hi Guys ,, whats that white stuff on the mountains behind you ?

Removing the mill ---- I have the similar problem with my Neo Rotor,so powerfull I can't budge it.

So, I made a puller out of Aluminium channel cut 3 short(4inch) pieces and bolted them to a disc big enough to cover the external dia of the rotor,, one leg of the channel now can be positioned under the lip of the rotor and I have a screw(threaded rod) as a jacking screw in the middle--it comes off very easy and safetly..

DON'T USE A HAMMER-YOU'LL BE SORRY...

Bruce

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:45:33 PM by BruceDownunder »