Author Topic: Small gasifier update  (Read 2326 times)

(unknown)

Small gasifier update
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:45:23 PM »
I completed system mounting on the trailer. I still have to add fire tube, grate, burner door, fan, engine, and PMA.  

I am using high temp silicone covered with aluminum duct tape to ensure all the welds are air tight.

Does anyone have any experience with DCEP (reverse polarity) MIG welding?  The Harbor Freight MIG welder I purchased is wired straight polarity.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:45:23 PM by (unknown) »

PeterAVT

Re: Small gasifier update
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
I have 20 years experience welding -- just retired recently. What would you like to know about the welding? Your setup looks interesting. They used to gasify coal too, years ago.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:39:12 PM by PeterAVT »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Hi, I found this link that says all MIG welding should reverse polarity (DCEP). Based on what the says I think my MIG is wired wrong. Do you agree what the link is saying?  

http://www.weldreality.com/ehauststraighpole.htm

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:49:57 PM by KilroyOdin »

PeterAVT

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
The reasons that he gives on the site are OK, but there's lots of different ways to do things. Some kinds of MIG work one way, and other kinds work the other way.

If you're using flux-core wire with no gas, then most recommend DCEP. The way you hold the gun and move it also has a lot to do with it. On smaller (non-industrial) machines, you are better off to crank up the heat near maximum, and slow the wire speed down till it makes a smooth "humming" feeling. Try to aim the wire straight down into the hot part, or even tilt the gun back so the wire points back at the already-welded area, into the middle of the puddle. This is so that the heat from the weld partially melts the wire and it doesn't need so much electricity to burn down a cold wire. It should be like "dragging" the weld along.

If you're using a solid wire with gas, you can "push" the weld ahead, aiming into the unwelded area slightly. You get slightly better penetration that way. Once you have the machine setup properly. With hard wire and gas, you can set the polarity, etc. up either way depending what you want. Hard wire and gas is a very versatile way, and I recommend it.

In all cases, you should keep it absolutely clean. This means grind your parts shiny. If you have to go over a weld or next to it, you should make that shiny too before you re-weld it.

Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:10:04 PM by PeterAVT »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:25 AM »
Hi, thank you. The more I practice the better the welds looks.  I have a rig that is a 5 hp driving a alternator running on gasoline. If I can get the 5 hp running on syngas it will be a real savings.  There are a lot of videos on you tube. People burn wood in the winter time to stay warm, why not make electricity at the same time and there are a lot days with not much sun or wind. So it seem the ideal solution for me.  Thanks again and best regards.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:31:25 AM by KilroyOdin »

mikeyny

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:05:37 AM »
   don't forget, when using producer gas in an internal cumbustion engine you lose a bit of hp. In order to get the 5 hp you need you may need to run it through an 8 hp motor. Also carburation is a bit tricky. there is a good bit of info on the internet on how to modify the stock carb for optimum performance.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:05:37 AM by mikeyny »