Author Topic: motor mount  (Read 1580 times)

97fishmt

motor mount
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
Here is a couple pictures of the motor mount I just made.

It is 18" of 3 1/2" pipe to go over the 3" pipe on top of

the tower.  18" of 12" channel with 2" angle for bracing,

and 3" angle to mount the motor to.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 04:38:24 PM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: motor mount
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
Can I deduce that the generator is a converted motor then?  A motor with mounting "feet" over top of the tower stub.  Great way to set your own preferred offset from the tower axis: mounting the genny above the stub.  Will slip-rings be involved, or is there room to get the wires up out of the top?

I just spent an hour this afternoon "pushing a rope", literally.  I put 8-gauge wires in my tower, but it turns out there was only room for a bundle of 10-gauge wires in the conduit I built into the generator mount.  Lots of swearing later, in sub-freezing temps and an unforgiving wind, I got the stiff wires in there.

I am looking forward to NO MORE surprises as I continue to assemble my 'mill with winter already here.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:52:59 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

97fishmt

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
SparWeb

Thanks for the interest in my project.

The motor I have been using for about 8 years now is a large ac servo motor.

Off the shelf stuff no mods at all.  I only see about 1200 watts out of it but

this unit is perfect for my needs.  My quest for the stout tower has been looming

for quite a few years and now finally it looks like I am close to having it complete.  I plan on going over to the property this weekend to see if I can get it all together.

So yes the offset should give me 6" for this large motor to be offset from the center

of the yaw.  

No slip rings I don't want trouble, And with the 3" tower stub I should be able to get my wires through ok.  Thanks for the warning of hind sight on your wiring. Right now I have 3 #2 wires going to the batteries I may upgrade to heavier wires in the future,  this is just what I got going right now.  Can you suggest a nice way for a cable restraint? I have seen a few but need to research a little more.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:13:07 PM by 97fishmt »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
I have come up with a cable restraint system of my own, but it's not perfect.  It's the cause of the pushing and pulling trouble with the cables I mentioned earlier.  You may find your own way of making it better or work satisfactorily, so here's the diagram I drew.

Click this to see it full size

Please don't copy that design exactly, because it leaves several things to be desired.  I certainly don't use an expensive FAG bearing for that awful job.  Hope it gives you some ideas, though.

Another way to suspend the cable is to use the "chinese finger puzzle" hangers.  I always forget the proper name, so if nobody suggests the name I can't even do a good google search for a picture.  Suffice to say it's a collar that sits on a hole, and from the collar is a net of wire that you bunch up, slide over the wire.  The net is sized so that when pulled tight, it closes tightly over the wire jacket.  The more you pull, the tighter it gets.

I would be very interested in learning more about the servo motor you use.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:22:54 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

97fishmt

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »
Hey

I don't think I'll go with a bearing on top.  I have had good success with just

pipe over or in pipe.  More movement would not be good in my situation.

I found the finger puzzle things and will go with that as well as the normal

entrance clamp for electrical enclosures.

Check my diary for the servo motor stuff.  I have many to experiment with and blades once this tower is functional. Higher voltage is in my future now!!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:05:59 PM by 97fishmt »