Logged in users > User Diaries

4kw motor Conversion

(1/7) > >>

ruddycrazy:
G'day guys,

Yesterday at work I scored a 4kw motor perfect for a motor conversion. The bore is 115mm and the rotor 145mm so plenty of space to fit 60 off 1"x1/2" round neos.

The motor will need a total rewind as the wire was corroded, the lamination's are fine though. The present wire is 0.8mm thick and hopefully I can get enough turns of 1.2mm wire in to suit 24 volts as that is my house voltage array. There was 124 turns in each slot so I'll need to do a heap of research of zubbly's files to work out how many turns i'll need.

Cheers Bryan

SparWeb:

The sprit of Mr. Z must be watching over you.  It is a good score!  The 6307 bearings will take a lot of abuse, the rear fan shaft can be used for a brake or a RPM encoder (or both), and that's a big mounting flange.  With a re-wind you can select everything you want!  Poles, number of turns, voltage/current everything.  You can even skew the stator laminations once you get all the wire out.

ruddycrazy:
G'day Steven,

When I saw that motor I just knew it had to be destined for a Zub conversion. The 6206 rear bearing is a bit worrying so like I did with my 1.5kw conversion I'll put a 5206 double ball bearing in it's place. It isn't a hard job to extend the rear cover to accommodate the wider bearing. I will be going with round neo's on a 10 degree skew and the 1" ones might be a bit too tight of a squeeze so I will look a 3/4" ones too.

I'll use this diary post to log my progress on this conversion and I have also done a thread in the RE section of the electro-tech forum where I hope to do a basic guide on doing a motor conversion.
Cheers Bryan

willib:
Hi Bryan, Yes thats a nice find !

Congrats !

Bill

ruddycrazy:
G'day Guys,

Well got all the wire stripped out of the motor and I did find some light rust on the lamination's but not enough to really worry about. Tonight I sat down with autocad to workout the best magnets to use with the 70mm wide by 140mm long pole area. with 3/4" round neo's I could only fit in 15 with plenty of gaps so I' tried with 5/8" ones and managed to fit 32 in nice and snug.

So by using 128 of the 5/8"x1/2" N42 Neo's I will endup with 25.728 cubic inch's of mags which should be enough. I will need to wait untill next week before I can order the magnets and just hope they arrive before xmas.
So hopefully as soon I can get the magnets I can try the one wire test and see what the thickest wire I can use to suit my 24 volt array on the house.
Cheers Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version