Author Topic: '08 Escape Transmission Cooler FAILURE  (Read 7218 times)

RogerAS

'08 Escape Transmission Cooler FAILURE
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Greetings,

We have an '08 Escape AWD with CD4E tranny. Build date 5/07 with 45,208.2 miles. All servicing has been done by Ford dealers within schedule, has never towed anything or had rough treatment. This has all be documented with receipts in hand.

The transmission cooler is leaking and is a well know issue with these SUV's. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) NHTSA Number: 10024826 for these issued 09-9-4 built on or before 5/9/08. See http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-09-02_212821_A1.pdf for a PDF of the TSB.

A web search returns several pages of complaints as these nearly always fail after primary warranty expires. See http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23189&st=0 for a web forum topic on this issue, which is one of many.

We have premium extended warranty but this problem is supposedly not covered as it it not an internal part of the tranny. However this is a part integral with the AC condenser which is covered by this extended warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6xQ2ZyQMOI HERE is a YouTube video of the issue.

The point of this posting is to warn others to have their vehicle checked and have this documented. I am writing my senator and congressional representatives as well as State Attorney General to have a formal recall issued by FoMoCo. There have been cases where this issue has lead to unsafe operating conditions and placed lives in danger. I invite any other owners of these SUV's to document the issue and contact appropriate parties.

I have been a loyal Ford owner my entire life and if this issue is not resolved justly I will never own another. I will update this posting after the repairs are made detailing the outcome. I am to bring the SUV to my local dealer this afternoon for confirmation of the issue. Yes, I'm upset and feel that this known defect is being ignored by FoMoCo at the expense of the consumer both financially and in their health and safety. Also the loss of transmission fluid being dumped into the environment is an emissions issue.

Thanks for reading,

RS

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:56:00 AM by (unknown) »

12AX7

Re: '08 Escape Transmission Cooler FAILURE
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
Hello.

I know many will not want to hear this but I'll say it anyhow!  You might consider sending a copy of your complaint to your local EPA office.

Like you said, a lot of transmission fluid is being dumped and it might help to have someone with "big" boots on your side.

I've a 99 Chrysler  (Plymouth) minivan that started leaking power steering fluid.

It was too easy just to add more fluid than fixing it.   After awhile I just got tried of adding fluid and crawled under it to see where the leak was.  I found that the back side of the power steering pump  had rusted through.  Once the rust opened a hole the fluid acted like a rust inhibitor, stopping the hole from getting larger.

I had the pump replaced (a very messy job I didn't care to tackle).   Since then I've noticed LOTS of other chrysler vans leaking fluid (it's easy to see the oil film on the wet parking lots, and flowing in the storm gutters.

I should have sent a letter to the local DNR and the EPA to complain, but their a can of worms I'd not like to deal with (since I've already fixed my problem).

ax7

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:44:33 PM by 12AX7 »

RogerAS

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
All,

It seems that this forum no longer feels honesty is a valued commodity. Posts have been deleted from this diary to protect the apparent perfection of the administration and moderators.

I have deleted all my files and am about to log off for the last time.

Have fun with your little playground DanB. I refuse to be bullied and agitated when I did nothing wrong.

Bye.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:55:23 PM by RogerAS »

Rover

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:36:25 PM »
Sad to see someone leave, I've had posts disappear , then realized there was someting else amiss, either my own issues, or the board software.  

anyway... sorry to hear about the tran

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:36:25 PM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
I did delete a couple of comments in this one for what seemed to be good reason but I'll leave it at that.  Thanks Roger for the nice email... !!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:36:59 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

12AX7

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »
I guess I didn't read the first post of this thread before some "stuff" was deleted.

That said, based on Rogers comment about expected "perfection" I'd like to ask if this means that this site has stock in Ford?  

ax7

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:36:50 PM by 12AX7 »

dbcollen

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:47:07 PM »
Admin:

Is there a way for you guys to keep a copy of peoples files so we don't have so many broken links to pictures when people have a pissy b!#ch fit and delete all their files?

Dustin

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:47:07 PM by dbcollen »

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:47:43 PM »
Roger, I would be sorry to see you leave.  Ford Escapes have a known issue with there transmissions.  I have a 2007, but mine is a hybrid, and has a different transmission.  I know you are upset, but in Dan's original post he did mention that the topic was not related to the purpose of the forum, and you have to admit that it is not.  Most of your posts and comments always are.  I hope you were not too mean to DanB in your e-mail so that things can be patched up.  It is a loss for all of us here if you go, and DanB provides a service that you have benefited from by using this forum all of these years.  Please do not make a rash decision on this while you are already frustrated about the truck.  I can relate to that.  I promised not to go back somewhere when I was upset a while back, and since I said it out loud, I will not go back there, but in hindsight I wish that I had not acted in haste.  Rich
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:47:43 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

Volvo farmer

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:04:05 AM »
Roger's problem is that he is looking for a sense of community here. He needed a place to blow off steam about his truck and thought he could come over to fieldlines and chat with his off-grid buddies about it.

I used to make the same mistake. "Community" is really not encouraged here. With the ruthless editing/deleting of posts, and lack of an "off topic" area, this is the wrong place to come to chat with buddies about anything that is not RE related.

On the one hand, the place remains a focused, on-topic place to get good information; On the other, the people who contribute to this site sometimes get thrown under the bus.

As for the suggestion that people's files get locked up so they can't delete them. I can think of no better reason to host everything I post off-site.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:04:05 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 05:20:19 AM »
Well, for once, this is NOT fallout from my actions. I was out of town yesterday all day. Fact is I don't have a clue what was taken down but I do know language can be a problem that gets the ax. The rest of the world may have potty mouth but it is not allowed here.

Plus it is not exactly a vehicle forum.

The whole deal with ripping out your files seems petty and impacts folks who have no part or blame in this but Whats done is done so on with the show.

Sorry to see you go, Roger.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:20:19 AM by TomW »

dbcollen

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »
Your files "belong" to you until you post them in a public forum such as the internet. It is very petty to delete your pictures, as it affects everyone trying to research past posts. Once your files are in the public domain people can copy or do whatever they want with the data, and the Admin should reserve the right to ensure you cannot negatively affect the quality of their forum by deleting your pics. Also, you cannot delete the text that is already posted, so you should not be able to delete the pics either.

Dustin

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:28:01 AM by dbcollen »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
On a minor point: posting pictures here or elsewhere on the Net doesn't make them public domain unless explicitly released as such.  The original copyright owner still has all their copy rights, including to delete them unless the board Ts&Cs make clear otherwise for example.

Publicly available is NOT the same "public domain" which is a magic legal term meaning that no one has any special rights over them.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:39:46 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

JoeWXYZ

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
RogerAS

45,208.2 miles in two years? Seems to me to be a bit high. Are you commuting to work with it. This is wicked on any trani. Joseph.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:48:00 PM by JoeWXYZ »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 09:26:20 AM »
I absolutely hate it when productive helpful folks get in a Hissy-Fit, delete all their files and leave. All the pictures in the posts go missing and their previous help starts looking messy and empty. Some have even gone due to Scoop Bugs thought to be caused by a moderator.

It would be nice to archive the user files to prevent this, but that brings up ownership issues concerning who own the pictures and would require a disclamer on uploads stating that the pictures become property of the forum.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:26:20 AM by wooferhound »

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »
The transmission should not be failing if they were built right.  My old car had 78,000 miles put on it in 18 months and went to 166,000 miles with the original tranny fluid with no problems.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:25:02 PM by taylorp035 »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »
Cool Woof.

They could rename the site FieldlinesBook and put in the TOS that all uploaded pictures are the property of the site. Problem solved.

Instead of holding "productive folks" feet to the fire, maybe the question of the day might be... Why do "productive folks" get into a hissy fit and want to delete their files and leave? Furthermore, why has it happened often enough that you hate it when in happens?

But the thing that really makes me scratch my skull, is... Who is John Galt?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:45:25 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »
VF;

Furthermore, why has it happened often enough that you hate it when in happens?

I accept full responsibility. I wasn't even online the day this happened but I am responsible for the editorial staff so by extension it is my fault. Period, end quote.

Now all we gotta do is figure out a punishment. Banishment from the community?

Took me about 10 tries to get this to actually post so I would not be surprised if it is Scoop crapping out again.

Still my fault, however it seems prudent to fix the problem rather than fix the blame? [Hint for ADMIN]

Funny how these things are circular eh.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 04:20:54 AM by TomW »

chubbytrucker01

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 04:16:18 AM »
When I joined this forum there was a description of the diary section stating it was for whatever you wanted to talk about. It gave several examples of topics and none of those were re related.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:16:18 AM by chubbytrucker01 »