Author Topic: Strange paraffin heater  (Read 1323 times)

Capt Slog

Strange paraffin heater
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »
About 20 years ago I was on a farm taking part in a game shoot.  In the barn at lunch they had this weird heater, well it was weird to me because I'd never seen anything like it before and haven't since.

Basically it was a roughly cylinder about 2.5 ft diamter by the same high with a chimney on it.  The base held a reservoir ( approx 3" deep puddle)of oil/paraffin and there was some sort of vent on the top of the cylinder, and I think a pipe that ran down alongside or inside the chimney.

I can remember looking into it (via the top vent) and seeing the fuel burning at it's surface.  I think that the preheated, incoming air blasted the surface of the fuel, and this made it gaseous enough to ignite in the chamber above the fuel.

I don't know how or if it was regulated, but maybe it had something to do with the air going in through the vent I was looking in.

I asked an old boy what it was called, I'm sure he said it was a "Sally Anne Doe"!

It looked lethal, but so simple.  Anyone seen or heard of this?  Sorry to be so vague in the description, but it was along time ago.

Found it in one of top returns from google searching "paraffin heater". No story material here.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:16:02 PM by (unknown) »