Author Topic: Interesting WVO burner experiment  (Read 1329 times)

whatsnext

Interesting WVO burner experiment
« on: December 01, 2004, 11:25:11 AM »
Last night I tried to run straight WVO in an old Svea kerosene stove. The old brass ones that control output via changing the tank pressure. It took a lot of preheating of the burner but once lit it ran very nicely with just a hint of white flame at the very tips of the blue output. The flame had almost no smell at all. I ran it for about an hour and the fuel tank did not get nearly as hot as it does when running on kero. I took the stove outside while running and just having the 20 degree air as combustion air cooled the burner enough to really slow down the output. I'm thinking of making a larger burner of about 30K btu with greater self-reheating and keeping the WVO in a soft drink syrup tank which I could pressurize with a bike pump. Then put that burner into a wood stove, as a heat exchanger, and enjoy the free fuel.

John........
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 11:25:11 AM by (unknown) »

picmacmillan

Re: Interesting WVO burner experiment
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 12:44:42 PM »
what about putting waste oil in one of those garden sprayers that you pressurize by pumpng the handle?...just a thought, maybe someone could use one of these pumps for something???....pickster
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 12:44:42 PM by picmacmillan »

p0lizei

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 01:18:23 PM »
I'd thought of this as we use the same things you're talking about, only as carpet sprayers (I say "we" as in at work).  I don't know that the spray you'd get from them would be fine enough, I think you'd be dealing with a lot of unburnt fuel and in general it would be inefficient.  

If you could find a tip from some other application and adapt it to the sprayer, then you might have something.  

« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 01:18:23 PM by p0lizei »

mlz

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:00:55 AM »
Might check the irrigation section of local nursery.  You can get fine mist nozzles made of brass and/or aluminum, their used to put a mist on certain plants in a greenhouse.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 08:00:55 AM by mlz »