Author Topic: solar water heater to heat yor home ??  (Read 3614 times)

xboxman

solar water heater to heat yor home ??
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:00:46 AM »
how about using a solar water heater and have a radiator in side the house to heat the house or at least heat one room ... any ideas on this ??
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 09:00:46 AM by (unknown) »

dudevato

Re: solar water heater to heat yor home ??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 11:16:51 AM »
I have a solar batch water tank that supplies my garden shower that I am Very Happy with. I'm kicking around putting together a panel air heater, or 2, to heat my shop. This will have a PV cell to power the small fan that will circulate the air. I'm no design/tech wizard but would think it would be an easier/cheaper/smaller project to put together an 'air panel'  Go back over past postings, there are a number of links/pics that will have you laying awake at night, thinking.  Good Luck.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:16:51 AM by dudevato »

dvdapex

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 09:56:42 AM »
I have a plan to make a 4x8 solar water heater.  I would then like to run the water through the attic (with insulation around the pipes--of course) through an old radiator in our living room to provide extra warmth during the winter.  Unfortunately, I live in WI and the winters here would surly freeze the water.  So, I was thinking about using used vegetable oil (get it from a nearby restaurant and strain it) instead of water.  I'd also read that anti-freeze is less effective after only 2-3 years.  I would prefer to make a sealed system so I'd like to shy away from using this.

Here are some questions/concerns:

1. What size copper pipes should I use to run the oil through?
  2. The return portion of the pipe would have about a 5 foot (gradual) incline.  Can convection do this or do I need a pump?
  3. Is there any concern of pressure build-up in the pipes?
  4. Is there any reason to stick with water or water with anti-freeze?
  5. Do I fill the pipes 100% or less to account for some expansion of the liquid?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 09:56:42 AM by dvdapex »

rain1224

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
Solar heat is very popular today, for it is environmental and its recyclability, we can protect the earth at the same time.

"Link Removed"
DO NOT POST LINKS THAT ADVERTISE
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:48:42 AM by Bruce S »

Watt

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:14 PM »
Solar heat is very popular today, for it is environmental and its recyclability, we can protect the earth at the same time.

Wow, that's diggin' up old threads.  An inverter link?
Watt sorry I took the night off for face to face time with the wife  8),
I removed the link.
Cheers
Bruce S
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:49:44 AM by Bruce S »