Author Topic: Mixing Used Motor Oil With Home Heating Oil  (Read 21492 times)

weldingrodd

Mixing Used Motor Oil With Home Heating Oil
« on: December 13, 2004, 11:12:19 PM »
Has anyone tried mixing used motor oil with home heating oil?(To burn in furnace) If so what was maximum ratio that could be used before special adjustments had to be made? We have a large quanity of used oil available that is clean and just from our cars and trucks.

I was thinking about mixing it 75/25 Fuel oil being higher .

I would mix it then pump it through a strainer/filter and into my tank in a heated basement.

Please let me know what you seen done with this. Rodd
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 11:12:19 PM by (unknown) »

Snoprob

Re: Mixing Used Motor Oil With Home Heating Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:40:54 PM »
Ever seen an engine oil analysis? Lead, benzene, zinc, cadmium, and arsenic... Alot of metals dispersed in old crankcase oil plus remnants of all the gasoline blow-by additives and detergents that didn't boil off in the heat. I don't think I would want that burned on my property unless to not freeze before my next paycheck & oil delivery.  I'm in Minnesota suburb town and we hope the neighbors aren't using it...

State of Oregon has an opinion here - http://www.deq.state.or.us/wmc/hw/policy/2001-PO-002.pdf - note they talk about user generated used oil fuels and the ppm allowances.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 09:40:54 PM by Snoprob »

skravlinge

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:42:56 AM »
If you try it here you will be glad to not be put inside. This producing toxic smoke. The used motoroil have to be sent to special treatment. I know of one throw a few liters and got his wallet empty after trial.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:42:56 AM by skravlinge »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 09:46:52 AM »
My upwind neighbor used it to get his stove going.

Stinks to high hell. The smell hangs in my house for days.

Or maybe it was the partical board or treated lumber he was trying to get to burn.

Another neighbor (wife has breathing problems) stopped him, thank goodness.

G-
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 09:46:52 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

whatsnext

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 01:56:25 PM »
I agree with the other posters. Burning used motor oil is filthy. Try burning some and I'm sure your heat exchanger will be almost instantly coated with residue. I'm not sure if this would effect tranfer eff but I would guess that it will. This is what I love about WVO, no toxic metals. Hopefully.

John........
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 01:56:25 PM by whatsnext »

weldingrodd

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 04:35:49 PM »
I did not try it....guess I wont after all the facts put fourth....But several large trucking garages in the area burn nothing but used engine oil in a burner similar to a home oil burner. I am told a larger nozzel and compressed air is add to aid atomization and oil is preheated to get it to flow...but I must admitt a lot of smoke seems to come out the stack...I will stick with my woodstove   Rodd
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 04:35:49 PM by weldingrodd »

Snoprob

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
It's just a NIMBY thing - there are alot of waste oil heaters & most of them are used in commercial applications. I just couldn't recomend it in areas pregnent women, small children and seniors spend anytime. Just in general WVO is so much sexier, er, safer. For referance you might want to contact the recycler that services your area to see if there is a used-oil fuel produced by the refinery that buys their waste oil but I bet they want the same $$$ for it in small volume sales.

When it frosts heavily around here after it melts there is an oily smear all over vehicles from the home heat flue emissions getting trapped next to the ground. Regular Windex bounces off it when spring window cleaning time comes around and its' primarily heating oil mixed with wood smoke from the million people upwind from us.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 06:17:00 PM by Snoprob »

takeabeatingkeeponeating

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 04:20:27 AM »
According to that document: "It is the Department's experience that the vast majority of used oil generated in motor vehicles DOES meet specifications. When used oil exceed the specifications, it is likely because it is used oil other than automotive lubrication (drain oil) or hydraulic oil. Types of oil used that routinely do not meet specifications include metal working fluids and used oil that has been mixed with other waste."  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 04:20:27 AM by takeabeatingkeeponeating »

TERRYWGIPE

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 09:53:50 PM »
I AGREE ,FOR HOME HEATING I THINK THAT IT WOULD BE TOO DANGERIOUS. BUT I'VE GOT AN ARTICLE THAT TELLS YOU HOW MANUFACTURE TRANSESTERIFIED VEGEDBLE OIL IF THAT WILL HELP,THEY SAY THEY RUN ALL THEIR DIESEL EQUIPMENT AND IN PLACE OF HOME FUEL-OIL WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 09:53:50 PM by TERRYWGIPE »