Author Topic: Fabric for Solar air collector  (Read 2377 times)

carlb23

Fabric for Solar air collector
« on: October 27, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
I built a small (55 sq/ft) solar hot air panel last year using 2x4 metal studs affixed directly to my home ( i removed the siding first) so no insulation on  the back was necessary I then used 3" corrougrated thin wall alum tubing for the collector (25 lenghts in all) I baffeled it so that the air would flow through 5 tubes then go back through another 5 tubes this is done several times.  I used .020 lexan for the glazing. This heater worked out very well using a 165cfm blower in full midday sun the inlet temp is aprox 68 degrees F with an outlet temp of 140 to 145 Degrees F.

I am now working on a new one for this winter  the new collector will be 36" high and 36.5' long (aprox 110 sq/ft).  Using the alum tubing is not practical on this design.  I was wondering if anyone has ever used a medium weight black woven polyester fabric for the collector and blown the air through the fabric extracting the heat as it passes through the fibers of the fabric.  I put a piece of this fabric in the sun and it gets very warm ( aboout 160 degrees).  I was planning on using a 465 cfm blower. I also have a 265 Cfm blower if the 465 is too large.

Thanks Carl

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:31:31 PM by (unknown) »

kitno455

Re: Fabric for Solar air collector
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:31:22 PM »
i have used two layers of black fiberglass window screen that works pretty well. i also built a small one with a sort of synthetic felt. it faded pretty quickly, and blocked the airflow quite a bit more than the screen. the two were not the same size, so i cant really compare performance.

i plan to build another one this winter, i will use the window screen again, it requires less of a fan, so is less noisy.

allan

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:31:22 PM by kitno455 »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 03:03:46 PM »
Hi Carl,

Bill Kreamer's collector design uses polyester felt for the absorber.  The plans for his collector can be downloaded here:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Space_Heating.htm#Active

Just search down the page for "Kreamer".

A number of these have been built, and I belive that the design is efficient.  One thing that you need to be careful about is that you don't overheat the felt to the point where it melts.  I believe that Bill does not recommend using the felt absorber on tilted collectors -- only on vertical ones where the summer stagnation temperatures are lower.

On my air collector, I used 2 layers of black alum bug screen.  I tried 1, 2, and 3 layers, the result being that 2 and 3 layers performed very nearly the same, and both better than one layer.  This is a thermosyphon collector (no fan), so the flow resistance of the absorber must be low.  So, a fan with less pressure head capability could be used with this type of absorber.  I've also heard of using expanded metal lath, and furnace filter media (painted black).  Unfortunately, no one (to my knowledge) has done side by side tests to see which actually performs best, or (as is my prejudice) that there is little difference between them.  This is my collector:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/solar_barn_project.htm

Its going to be on the cover of Mother Earth News next month -- yahooo!

You, of course, want to organize the flow such that the air has to flow through the absorber, and so that the air starts on the glazing side, and exits on the "back" (north) side of the collector -- this keeps the hottest air away from the glazing and reduces heat loss out the glazing.

It sounds like your current collector is working well, but I think that it might do even better with more airflow to reduce the output temperature a bit.  140F is kind of high, and will result in higher losses.  You can get a pretty good idea how well its working with this procedure:

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Measurements/CollectorPerformance.htm

This is not so important if you are using an established design, but it sounds like you will be experimenting some, and this procedure will tell whether a change you made hurt or helped performance.  Getting a gain in output temperature does not necessarily (or even usually) mean that the collector is performing better -- its the product of airflow time temperature rise that says how well a collector is doing.  To use it, you will need a way to measure outlet vent air velocity -- I use a little Kestrel wind meter, which is fairly cheap, and works well.

Good luck on your project -- please post the rsults.

Gary

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:03:46 PM by GaryGary »

carlb23

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:56:30 PM »
I am going to use a polyester fabric that is uv stable and will not fade quickly in sunlight. The collector is vertical.  I will post some pics when I am done.  If the weather is good i should get it finished this weekend. I will put the inlet air to the glazing side and have it filter through the fabric to the north side.  I was really surprised by the heater i built last year with very low restriction and a 165 cfm blower that it produced so much heat from only 54 sq/ft.

Thanks for the links and info.

Carl

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:56:30 PM by carlb23 »