Author Topic: Kerosene heaters  (Read 1355 times)

bigdan

Kerosene heaters
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:37:18 PM »
Has anyone tryed to operate a Kerosene wick type heater on vegtable oil? Is it possible to convert one? I am able to get at least 10 maybe 15 gallons a week.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 05:37:18 PM by (unknown) »

Nothing40

Re: Kerosene heaters
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 02:26:35 PM »
In a pinch,I've used veggie oil for simple candles,and kerosene lanterns before..works fine.I'd assume it would be okay in a kerosene heater,but don't quote me on that.

If not,you could always use a mix of kerosene/veggie oil. I'm sure that would work okay,once you've worked out a good mixture to use.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:26:35 PM by Nothing40 »

Devo

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 04:53:46 PM »
I have made biodesel & wouldn't climb the wick in a heater or in a lamp , not sure about raw veggy oil though.

Devin

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:53:46 PM by Devo »

Clifford

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:31:22 PM »
Be careful when using "unvented" heaters...  I.E.  No outside chimney.

I would encouage using a carbon monixide (CO) detector, as well as doing some experimenting outside or in the garage (you don't want soot buildup in the house).

As I understand it, there are two methods for feeding.

Capiliary / Wick.

Pressure / Gravity.

If you look at many of the liquid fueled camp stoves (including multi-fuel stoves), most of them use a pressurized tank (same effect could be created with gravity feed).  They also have a pre-heater as part of the vaporizer.

Hmmm...

Another thought,

Many LP/NG heaters (and some white gas heaters) also use a non flaming catalyst type burner.  

You could experiment with a coleman-style white gas camp heater.  I believe that you turn them upside-down to prime, then light, and they are supposed to briefly flame up, then lower with a catalytic heating flame.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 11:31:22 PM by Clifford »