Author Topic: While on the subject of heat from wind......  (Read 1500 times)

Titantornado

While on the subject of heat from wind......
« on: December 09, 2006, 08:37:27 PM »
Going on what rossw said on another post of using the windmill to run a refrigerant compressor, it got me to thinking a bit.  Wondering how one could install a pump on a HAWT, and deal with the refigerant lines during yawing, it got me curious to a thought I had some time ago. (stemming from the eddy current heater idea)

What would happen if I had two identical three phase axial flux alternators connected together, (maybe the one having a few more turns on the coils than the other for losses) one up on the tower, the other inside.  Will the one on the tower drive the one inside with nearly equal torque, so the compressor could be located within the home and have it located closer to the condensor coil and eliminat the refirgerant line issues?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 08:37:27 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: While on the subject of heat from wind......
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:16:16 PM »
Small electrical machines have a low efficiency, it is bad enough with the inevitable loss of one conversion when you want electricity. If you convert back to mechanical energy the losses make it a doubtful proposition.

Yes in theory the second machine would follow as a synchronous motor, but with high losses and no control of excitation ( hence power factor). Big sync motors are not very good natured and a small one would probably fall out of step very easily with gusting and compressor loading.

These things work best at fixed voltage and frequency, with raw ac performance would be poor. You would probably do better rectifying to dc and using an ECM dc motor, but matching the speed and load would still be a big issue.

Not impossible but a lot of work with many snags and only viable with a large set up.

You can't make up for losses with a few extra turns. I think you would be hard pushed to get 40% overall efficiency.

If you want to do it on a small scale you would be better off using wind to charge a battery to drive one of the Danfoss dc units, they are very effective for fridges, probably could be adapted to a heat pump. Probably a small battery would drive the pump and any excess power could be used for direct heat or as base heat for the heat pump.

Flux

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 02:16:16 PM by Flux »

thefinis

Re: While on the subject of heat from wind......
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 08:36:40 AM »
While not a great solution to the problem of hoses running up the tower a differential(90 degree gearbox) top and bottom with a drive shaft to the ground(or anywhere below the pivot point) is better I think than hoses. Kind of like this but without the auto drive shafts just a solid bar or a pipe that can handle the load.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/1/9/103933/9137

I wonder if this is still flying. I admired his attitude of build it big enough to get-r-done without worrying about efficiency. His self propelled do it all welder the AmpTramp is amazing.

Finis

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:36:40 AM by thefinis »