Author Topic: solar water heater  (Read 1386 times)

steviep101

solar water heater
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:52:05 PM »
I have a chance to get a couple of used Andersen non opener sky windows I am wondering if anyone has ever made a solar water heater out of one before. Has anyone got a good design for one. At the present time I would like to try heating my water for hot water only, maybe down the road hook up one to heat my boiler water. I went to the fair yesterday and the guy selling systems there gave me a price of 7 to 10 grand installed. It would take a long time to get any payback.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:52:05 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: solar water heater
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:30 PM »
A solar hot-water pre-heater is often listed as one of the most cost-effective projects. The parts can usually be scrounged for a very low cost, put in a little time and effort, and your water heating bill will go down. By using the city water pressure, you don't need a pump to move water through the system, and by positioning it as a pre-heater, your stock heater will ensure control over the final water temperature. By supplying very warm water to the heater instead of the common 60F temp water from the underground city water pipe, you can cut out the majority of energy used to reach the final temp. The best site for a dozen different great ideas is:

www.builditsolar.com

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:52:30 PM by spinningmagnets »