Author Topic: The Zero Energy Home  (Read 6623 times)

wdyasq

The Zero Energy Home
« on: July 29, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
I have always been interested in the off-grid home. If mine is ever achieved, it will be done with lot of research first. My view of standard grid-tie is very low. A good, modern sine wave inverter produces cleaner, more stable electricity than the electric company provides. This product is traded to the electric company with the understanding  you get equal quantity back when you need it. When the grid goes down, the standard grid-tied system goes down also. To me, this is like having a "hot", fun to be with wife and leasing her to the local pimp. If you want to be with her, you have to check with the pimp first.

Well, the research on homes is going on with "Zero Energy Home". The idea is to build a home with added Photovoltaic panels, use the grid as a battery and over the year the electricity your PV panels supply equal the electricity you bought from the pimp... oops, make that electric utility.

Several government agencies are researching the ZEH  (your money taken under threat). Many universities are doing research also (ignorant conscripted labor). One of the neat things is a lot of this information is published. As one has already paid for this research by just consuming things and therefor paying taxes along the way, it would be stupid to not take advantage of the benefit of the research.

Well, the following link has a lot of information and a lot of good thoughts that went into The University of Nevada - Las Vegas ZEH. For those who have the tendency to look and analyze, here it is:

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/CaseStudies/TucsonZEH1Report.pdf

This should give the curious the terms and part of the information to research things. Those to lazy to do the research may remain blissfully ignorant or stupid as desired.

I learned a bit from the data tables. UNLV (University of Nevada - Las Vegas) published this stuff. I have no doubt it is as near correct as any guess. Here are a few of the numbers in kWh/y (kilowatt Hours a year):

Coffee Maker - 94.2

Door Bell- 44.2

Computer - 101

Television - 157

Telephone (2 Phones with answering machine) - 61.3

By using energy efficient appliances they went from 10.1kWh/day to 8.4kWh/day. All of the projected savings in appliances were in four appliances, dryer, refrigerator, clothes washer and dishwasher. It doesn't take a genius to figure out if one just eliminated some of the 'luxuries' or, killed the 'wall warts', that figure might be cut in half.

Well, that's enough for today. Those curious will find more. Those less than curious will find something to complain about or may be busy creating new entries for the 'Museum of Unworkable Devices'.

Ron

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:53:44 PM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Stonebrain

Re: The Zero Energy Home
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 02:51:24 PM »
Hi ron,

I spent a couple of years on university.

This might make you think i'm stupid,well

it's not as bad as that:I didn't make it to my grade.

A lot of taxmoney wasted on me.

Nearly make me feel like whore who makes her pimp (gouvernment)rip the

clients(hard working citizen)of,under threat(of the tax collector).

What the heck,it was fun!

I didn't get the document uploaded.My connection sucks.

The ciphers you got from the document are probably

wild guesses.

They should have done a year round metering in a representative

sample of a few hundred households but wild guesses are a lot

cheaper...

cheers,

stonebrain

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 02:51:24 PM by Stonebrain »

wdyasq

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:04:54 PM »
Stonebrain,

I have nothing against folks going to a university to cure ignorance. That is one of the reasons one reads. While I agree the ciphers are guesses, the guesses are SWAGS - Sophisticated Wild Arse GuesseS. A year round metering program would have cost more but would have kept 'Grant Receivers' better paid for a while.

I have uploaded the file to otherpower's servers:

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/284/TucsonZEH1Report.pdf

Sorry to hear you have such a connection.

Ron

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 05:04:54 PM by wdyasq »

nanotech

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 07:01:27 PM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:01:27 PM by nanotech »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:21:57 PM »
LOL...

JW

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 03:21:57 PM by JW »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:31:14 PM »
Hi Ron,

Thats a great report -- thanks -- looking forward reading it it detail.

Hot climates seem like a tough place to do zero energy homes.

I've been going through my house trying to reduce electrical loads -- found a couple things that surprised me:

PCs  -- we have a couple PCs with related printers, routers, ...

One uses 175watts and the other 96watts when running.  I've found that by putting them on a powerstrip, and shutting them down at night + setting the computers to hibrinate after 15 minutes of inactivity during the day that I can save 1620 KWH per year! -- that just amazed me.  Its a better saving than we got from buying a new Energy Star Frig, and it cost all of 15 bucks for two power strips.

Also found that our fancy Dish receiver and recorder burns 58 watts whether its on or off.  Apparently turning off just turns off the little LED in on the front -- power consumption stays the same.  Right now its (60 watts)(24hrs/day)(365 day/yr) = 526 KWH per year -- yikes.  Not sure what to do about it.  If you unplug it or put it on a powerstip, it takes forever to boot up when you want it, and (obviously) you can't set to record programs when its off at night.

I'd like to see a regulation that required electric device producers to say on the product how much power it uses when its "off".

Still not sure what to do in the laundry.  Dryers use 900+ KWH per year plus pulling in lots of cold air from outside as makeup air for the air that goes out the dryer vent.  I figure that heating the makeup air alone is worth another 200+ KWH.

I am wondering if its worthwhile to get one of the very high speed spin type water extractors?  

I've found the Kill-A-Watt meter to be a great help in trying to make sense of this.

Gary

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 07:31:14 PM by GaryGary »

Volvo farmer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:52:40 PM »
Gary,

I'm apt to disagree about hot climates and zero-energy. Now I don't know much about humidity, but I used to live in Phoenix, where it was awfuly hot, and I survived all summer by drinking lots of water and I only had a fan over my bed at night, no A/C at all. Probably would have survived withou the fan, but it felt good.

I think a climate that ranges from -10F to +30F during the day is going to reqire a lot more energy to keep from freezing to death than a daily swing from 80F to 110F is from heat-stroke.

If you're still not sure what to do with the laundry, I'll tell you a clothesline uses 0Kwh, and even works in the winter in a lot of climates if you're patient enough. Modern front-loading washers also spin the heck out of clothes and lighten the load on the dryer, should you choose to use one.

As for television... I've only been off grid for a month but what seems to work for us is to leave the damn thing off most of the time and rent a few DVDs per week. I agree that manufacturers of these devices could design them to be more efficient, but anyway you look at it, television is a luxury.

The Kill-a-watt is a nifty tool indeed. I recently figured out that my cellphone charger doesn't even register one watt when plugged in and idle. I heard all these horror stories about "phantom loads" and "wall warts" as the bane of efficiency, yet I have found that not to be the case if my measurements are accurate. Heck, this laptop I'm typing on is using about 20 watts per hour, including the wireless EVDO internet card that's plugged into it and is relaying this message.

So.. not trying to start an argument, but that's the things I've experienced in my short lifetime so far.

-VF

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 11:52:40 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

jimjjnn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 03:22:42 AM »
Wall warts come into play when on an inverter instead of being at idle mode , the inverter is on using more precious battery power.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 03:22:42 AM by jimjjnn »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 08:08:46 AM »
Hi VF,

All I was getting at with the hot climate vs cold climate is that you can use passive and active solar space heating in a cold climate, and its pretty efficient and not so expensive.  For cooling in hot humid climates you are kind stuck with PV powered AC, which is not so efficient and are very expensive (e.g. the 4 KW PV rig in the ZEH report above).  Not many people are willing to tough out the hot weather these days without AC, but I see your point.   I thought this was a pretty interesting idea for AC on a budget:

http://www.sunfrost.com/sleep_genie.html

I've tried the cloths line routine on my wife and she threatened to hang me with it :)

On going around with the Kill-A-Watt, I found pretty much the same as you -- most things don't use much.  But, I did find a couple that were fairly high: the chargers for my battery powered tools (drill etc.)altogether use about 10 watts even after they have completely finished charging the battery, and a small TV we had just left plugged all the time but used rarely was using 9 watts just sitting there switched off.  Does not sound like a lot, but 20 watts is 175 KWH in a year.

Gary

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:08:46 AM by GaryGary »

wdyasq

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 10:47:09 AM »
Gary,

I haven't "Scoured" the report yet either. But, I have decided it will take a massive spreadsheet to do so. I am going to have to figure some way to incorporate energy mass into the equations. I want to be able to use the spreadsheet as a universal tool so it is going to take some thinking and probably will eliminate the casual user if it doesn't inspire them to think on their own.

It seems to me Lost Wages Nevada would be the ideal spot for a "cooling tower". In those water is pumped to the top and the wind and additional weight of the cooled, damp air causes an airflow. In dry climates this seems to work well.

Here, with enough hot, humid days (most years) I think one will need to rely on super insulation and refrigeration cooling. One of the "Ductless split units" will be considered although I will provide for a ducted unit if that doesn't work properly. I see no reason to build such a set of plans that one will be restricted to one supplier for any one part or service.

I do plan on lots of insulated functioning shutters. There is also be a lot of possibilities for the use of micro-controllers. It seems foolish to not use them for the multitude of decisions that might be manually implemented each time certain conditions exist. When no one is at home, and it is in the 'cooling mode' the shutters may automatically cover the windows. Not only would it conserve energy, it would also keep drapes and carpets from fading.

PV panels will be a 'must' as normally there is little wind in the highest cooling season. Calculations on how much thermal mass is desired may help lower the need for air-conditioning and heating a few months of the year if properly implemented.

I have an "Equator" brand clothes processor. It has the lowest water consumption of any  washer or washer/dryer and mine is non-vented. It does consume electricity when drying but, as I am 'on grid' now I don't care too much. It does not hold as full of a load of clothes as a standard American washer. As I am single and live alone that hasn't been a problem. I'll have to employ my 'watts up? Pro' to verify the use of that device.

I haven't watched TV since 1972 so power consumption of that device is not in question here. I do plan on building a low power consumption computer to serve as my browser and main surfing computer. I will have it on 12V power and vent the little heat there is outside in the summer.  

I also plan on having the refrigerator and freezer in a separately vented enclosure with the ability to vent outside or inside depending on season and temperature. I will probably also build a chest type refrigerator as the one at Mt. Best.

I will have solar water heating. It will either be a 'bread box' design similar to Baer's work or one of the parabolic reflector batch types.

Well, that is a rough idea of things. After one cuts consumption, proper power production and auxillary power must be considered as well as water source and disposal of wastes. But, that is a topic for another post.

Thanks for your input. It helps me to verify thinking.

Ron

« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:47:09 AM by wdyasq »

dboller

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »
Interesting discussion.  I live in the southwest.  It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, lots of sun, some wind.  I have a waterpumping windmill that I have yet to put up, some solar water panels I that I may yet get it together to put up for DHW and space heat, but I have grid power and it's just so easy and cheap, really, too cheap, I know.

My dream, since we're dreaming, is to build a solar concentrator/heat engine/heat source since by far the most energy I actually use (in the form of wood in the stove) is for heat, followed by electricity for swamp cooler and water pumping.  Some kind of adsorption cooling seems do-able as well.  Has anyone here actually done such a thing?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:16:02 PM by dboller »

DANO

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »
Yo Gary...say it ain't so...the Dish reciever comment about it still using the 60 watts even when "off"...I have three of them and will be unplugging the beasties in a momment.  Another tip I'm sure all are aware of is the CFL's...I switched out all of my main lighting to these and my KWH/month dropped just over 17% by this alone. I would never have believed it, but in one month of savings I'd paid for the cost of the bulbs.  I don't keep a spread sheet as such, but do monitor the monthly bills and keep them...luckily with AEP you can go online and view your last 36 months of useage...I'm not offgrid yet obviously, but am taking tiny steps in the right direction...DANO out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 10:25:45 AM by DANO »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 09:40:36 PM »
Hi Dano,

Well it may not be so for your Dish receivers -- they make a lot of models.

I checked the one we have for several days, and the power usage was always between 57 and 61 watts -- it did not make any difference whether it was off or on, or what it was doing.

The one we have was the first DISH version to do HDTV and to record HD shows.  They have replaced it with a new model, but I don't know if the new one uses less standby power.

I sure wish that the manufacturers had to state on the label how much power the device uses when its "off".  I think that manufacturers would get serious about reducing the "phantom" electrical use if they had to put it on the label.

Gary

« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:40:36 PM by GaryGary »

Clifford

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 01:48:41 AM »
Interesting energy consumptions.

I wonder how much of that is transformer loss.

For example,

If one would connect the doorbell directly to a 12V battery...

the energy consumption would be virtually ZERO.

I'm not sure how much would be saved by running the phone directly off the battery bank.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:48:41 AM by Clifford »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 07:26:42 PM »
My personal focus is on eventually retireing to a place that has cheap land and lots of water, so I'm looking at snow country (thanks, Gary, at "built-it-solar").

That being said, I had done a study of my alternative-cooling options if I decided on living in hot country.

If the humidity is low, I was very impressed by the mist-evaporation at the top of a cooling tower, like the visitors center at Zion national park. A small PV panel would be enough to run the small water pump.

After the initial heavy insulation on walls/ceiling, double paned windows, complete surround awnings to shade the outer walls, and a PV fan ventilating the attic to keep the ceiling cool...here's my favorite options from "build-it-solar" ideas.

A solar chimney is a narrow and wide masonry fixture with a row of clay pipes running up it. The wide side is painted black and facing the afternoon sun. When air heats in the tubes, the hot air rises, pulling air through the house. If the house is sealed well, the house air can be drawn from geothermal trenches (obviously, a PV fan would help). This is where a row of air tubes go straight down to a gravel condensate trap about 10 feet deep. Then the tubes run in trenches across the property at a slight up angle (so condensate runs away from the house) the tubes then are joined and a pipe is routed to the house. Even in the hot desert, the soil is lower than 60 degrees when its 10 feet down.

I was concerned about funky smelling air, so personally, I'd want to route the incoming air through a couple of 18-wheeler Diesel turbo intercoolers that are spliced into the (insulated) central air ducting. An intercooler is a large aluminum air-to-air heat exchanger. This would keep the cool air-flow that is coming from the ground and going up the solar chimney separate from the circulating house air. If it doesn't flow quite well enough, a small PV fan could boost it.

If additional cooling was needed to get the house down to 75 degrees (a small lot can only have a few geothermal tubes, and although deep-drilling them works, it is very expensive) one option is to make up a couple of ammonia-absorption refrigeration units from junk. Set them side-by-side, and rig it so they alternate cycles. A small PV motor can rotate a shade that alternates putting one heater in the sun, and the other in the shade, with a linkage operating routing valves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigeration

Basically, its an aluminum radiator set in the back yard in the sun with reflectors, and is filled 3/4ths with half water/half ammonia. The ammonia boils out into a vapor (at a barely warm temp) and is routed through an insulated pipe into the top of the intercooler that is set above the central air ducting. A valve shuts, trapping the warm vapor, which is cooled by a PV fan. Then another valve opens, allowing the condensing vapor to pass down into the A/C intercooler that's inside the ducting. As the ammonia condenses it gets very cold, then trickles downhill to the bottom of the heater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icyball

Shaft seals wearing out in the valves and pumps, which can lead to ammonia leaks, can be avoided by using reciprocating magnets outside stainless steel pipes to actuate internal devices (Einstein patented this in the 1930's).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

If you are still concerned, a small part of the central air ducting can be routed outside the house to cool the ducted air, and it would be easy to custom braze an aluminum tube condenser where the ammonia seals are on the tube ends and the ducting seals are slightly nearer the center of the turbes so ammonia leaks couldn't get into the ducting, but would vent to the outside air.

Also, the big "Watt-hog" in an A/C system is the Freon compressor. A "Butane-vapor" engine can be made from two radiators, one sitting in the sun with reflectors, and one up high in the shade, possibly with a fan. It operates like an unusually simple steam engine, using a one-piston A/C compressor. I know butane is flammable, but the system is small, completely sealed, the butane part doesn't use electricity, and I'm not concerned about having gasoline in the lawnmower in my garage either.

A central A/C condenser (the radiator with a fan in the back yard) can have the 110 VAC motor removed, and the shaft for fan extended up the side of the house to the roof (on the backside not visible from the street) and a combination VAWT and small PV panel powering a DC motor sharing the same vertical shaft. Or, you could just put the whole thing on the patio roof with a short fence around it to hide it. Just a few ideas to kick around. -Ron

"give a man a fish, and he'll be fed for a day,...but teach him to fish, and his wife will never see him again"

"build a politician a fire, and he'll be warm for a night,...but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:26:42 PM by spinningmagnets »

feral air

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:32:53 AM »
Disconnect and remove the doorbell altogether. Simple.

Their figure for the doorbell is a bit wild, imo. Even when I lived in the city my doorbell was rung once a month at most. More like 3 times a year, maybe. Maybe.

If you want real savings then use a clothes line instead of a dryer. Once you get the hang of it (heh), it really doesn't take much longer and can be a relaxing activity. Moral support goes a long way too. Even if you don't do anything but refill her ice tea and chat, just being out there with her can go a long way.

Just think; It takes heat to make your electricty (usually) and then you use the electricity to make heat to dry your clothes. And then you use electricity to run your AC because, man, it sure is hot these days...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:32:53 AM by feral air »

1drjulian

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 04:24:24 AM »
I research solar power continually,convinced concentraters most efficient.Mother earth news published plans years ago(30?) Pop science rated very highly,used mirror tile,black iron pipe. Good luck, Don J
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:24:24 AM by 1drjulian »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 04:38:12 AM »
Consider a laptop for your low-power 12V computer: they are designed to economise on power and the mine is serving this page running on solar PV as I write this:

http://www.earth.org.uk/low-power-laptop.html

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:38:12 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

1drjulian

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 04:49:16 AM »
Fairly sure ammonia-water HIGH PRESSURE! Best older book i read was "Direct use of the sun's energy"-f.Daniels  also pv power,heat storage. Luck
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:49:16 AM by 1drjulian »