Author Topic: ok heres a good ? !!!  (Read 1702 times)

mccoyxx

ok heres a good ? !!!
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:49:27 AM »
Ok ppl I'm new to the Otherpower world...but extremely interested in going off the grid and was reading a post about hydro ...well would this work and if so would it be sufficient to power a home??  ok lets say someone has a well in they're yard and just for argument sake lets say if they didn't they would get one dug out about 20-30 ft. deep ...and they decided to try to use that for electricity because its just sitting there...is it possible that they could get like 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 or 5 depending on how deep it is small hydro pumps and mount them in intervals in like an aluminum or pvc pipe (whatever size the diameter of the hydro generator would be or if not available find a way to seal the gap between the hydro and pipe so all available water flow goes through the generator)then get a biodiesel water pump or possibly an efficient electric one to pump the water up from the well and drop back into the pipe..if the generators are small enough thus the diameter of the pipe being small too it shouldn't take much flow to keep it full...the pressure of the water falling down the pipe would give like a waterfall effect and water following gravity downward would propell the hydros??? or even better couldn't you just connect the pump directly to the top of the pipe and make sure its sealed good to create a type of forced induction system??? ...this may be in no way possible to get more power out of that than you would put in...but it seems plausible to me !!naturally it would more than likely require quite a large battery bank to store enough electricity to power a home I know...but it could work all night while not much power is being consumed from the home and top the banks off...I know it would be somewhat troublesome to do if it was possible and probably a little on the expensive side to fabricate the entire thing(especially if you had to have a well dug)...but in the long run I just want to do my part in helping maintain the environment and something that doesn't cost me $110 - $130 a month like grid power is!! RSM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:49:27 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: ok heres a good ? !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 04:56:57 AM »
Well mcoyxx,

I suggest you spend some time in the library and learn a bit of what should have been taught in school, There is no such thing as a free lunch.

The "Hey I'm ignorant," works for one or two tries but by now you should be able to read and understand. There are hundreds of pages of information here and thousands other places that answer your questions.

You will find grid power is the cheapest power you can get. Solar cells, wind turbines and even a good water wheel where there is a hydro source will take years to recover the costs of the equiptment.

Have you taken all steps to reduce your consumption? There is the first step, and the most cost effective.

Good luck and please, spend some time to educate yourself before you wear out your welcome here.

Ron

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 04:56:57 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Titantornado

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 05:11:34 AM »
"...this may be in no way possible to get more power out of that than you would put in...but it seems plausible to me"

And to many others before you who don't understand the physics involved.  Your past few posts are all bordering on "Perpetual Motion" machines.  

There is no way possible to get more power than you put in.  Period.  

Using electric to make electric will never work.

Any transference of energy will have a loss.

Regardless of voltage or amperage transfers, a watt is a watt, and you'll always loose some in the transfer. (often a lot)

The goal is to make as few transfers as possible.

There is only so much energy (watts) in a given volume and velocity of wind or water.

Exploiting energy from solar, wind, and water is done only because it is free energy source.

You really need to do some reading before asking these questions.  I strongly encourage you to visit www.otherpower.com and do some serious reading.  I'm not trying to be discouraging to you, but you need to get some knowledge of what you're asking for first.  Otherwise, you'll find it increasingly disappointing every time your questions get shot down.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 05:11:34 AM by Titantornado »

veewee77

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 06:09:44 AM »
Ask questions, get answers.

But. . .

There is no such thing as getting more out than you put in. That is eretual motion and is retty much not welcome here.

It would require more energy to pump that water up to the top than you would ever get from it falling back down, even if you put multile alternators in the line back down.

Hydro systems work because the water is already falling due to some natural forces that we have no control of. Then we, as humans, figured out a way to capture that falling water and produce electricity from it.

Forget perpetual motion.

Doug

« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 06:09:44 AM by veewee77 »