Author Topic: Ram Pump Help  (Read 2070 times)

cvo

Ram Pump Help
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:15:15 PM »
I built the Mother Earth News PVC ram pump and it will only work for about 5-10 minutes before failing.

Numbers:

18" head

Inlet water - 12gal./minute

Outlet water - 1gal./4 minutes

I plan on increasing the head.

Oulet hose - about 24" above pump and has a loop in it. I read somewhere this would help contain air pressure.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:15:15 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Ram Pump Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 07:41:16 AM »
I am not familiar with the design, but 18" is about the minimum drive head and at that head you may need a valve that is spring or weight biased to open.

Your outlet head at 24 " is incredibly low. normally the delivery head needs to be a minimum of 4 times the drive head. If your output of 1 gal/ minute with an input of 12 gal/ min is at 24" then you are doing very badly.

With a good ram and a delivery head of 4 times the drive head you should manage about 70%.

First thing try increasing the delivery head and if that works and you only need 24" then you could use a restrictor to artificicaly increase the delivery head.

I don't like the loop in the delivery pipe unless you have a small hole at the top of the loop to prevent syphon. With the hole you could use this to increase the delivery head.

If by increase head you mean drive head then you will need to increase delivery head in proportion.

It would help if you made it clear which head you mean and what delivery head you need.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:41:16 AM by Flux »