Author Topic: Weak Link  (Read 1645 times)

gregman900

Weak Link
« on: November 05, 2004, 07:23:21 AM »
Hi Guys

what's the weak link in your homebrewed Genny's, is it the blade attachment to the pmg ?

or is it the actual blades themselves. or is it another aspect

Thanks Greg

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 07:23:21 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Weak Link
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 07:39:06 AM »
Hi Greg -

There were some problems recently when a tail hit the blades which brought some doubt about the furling stops being strong enough (and in the future Ill make those stronger) - but I really believe the bending that happened there was due to collision with the blades, because I've not seen that problem on any other machines, even larger ones with smaller tail pivots (like mine).

The plywood blade hub, with 5 studs through it - and the wooden blades are not a problem yet.  Even in Scotts, after the tips hit the tail, the hub and the area where it attached to the alternator was fine.

We did an interesting experiment with Scotts last weekend.  He's working on a new 11' blade set to replace those that got wiped out by his tail, but in the mean time we decided to try sticking a 11' diameter 2 blade prop of an old wincharger on it.  Folks worry about wooden blades... this 2 blade prop is of cedar and it's around 60 -  70 years old!  Of course, the thing shakes rather violently in while yawing, as we'd expect from a 2 blade prop.. so it's gotta come off.  Otherwise, it works fine.

I think most homebrew systems have a weak link, most of those I've found have been posted here - usually simple mechanical things.  I don't think it's hard to build a fairly reliable system though.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 07:39:06 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

whatsnext

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 08:53:32 AM »
Dan, Why is it that you would expect a two blade prop to act as though it were out of balance?

John......
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 08:53:32 AM by whatsnext »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 10:47:21 AM »
The vibration is not caused by balance, it will run perfectly smoothly until it yaws.

With 2 blades the moment of inertia about the yaw axis is much greater with the prop horizontal than with it vertical. With 3 or more blades the average value is constant.

Imagine holding a ladder vertically and spinning yourself round, it's easy. Now hold the ladder horizontally and try it again.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 10:47:21 AM by Flux »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 11:34:07 AM »
Flux;

Great analogy and easy to try it and see!

T

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 11:34:07 AM by TomW »