Author Topic: camper power  (Read 2889 times)

fishpa

camper power
« on: December 04, 2004, 05:21:53 PM »
I have been reading the discussions and have realized that most of it is about very large systems. I am wanting to create a water powered generator to power my camper at the site so I do not have to run my generator (antique Sears 1250 watts yard sale special) once a day. Do any of you have experience with this or tips?

Bob
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 05:21:53 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: camper power
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 10:26:13 AM »
Not as hard as it sounds. Some are downright easy.

Search this board, and also look under hydro at the top.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 10:26:13 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

troy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 11:04:04 AM »
It depends on what water source you have available.  Specifically, how many gallons per minute are falling (flow), and how many feet does it drop (head).  There are setups for high flow low head (eg big fast river), or high head low flow(small waterfall, but 50 ft drop), or high head high flow (big high waterfall).  It also depends on how much electricity you need per day in kilowatt hours or watthours if your needs are small.

volts x amps = watts

watts x hours = watthours

But if you have low flow and low head, you're in trouble.

Good luck and have fun!

troy

« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:04:04 AM by troy »

BurksFallsMan

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 10:38:55 AM »
Give us an idea of what your water flow rate is (for example galons/sec or any other units) and the water drop from the higher posible point to the lowest (water HEAD). The you can have an idea. Check my diary, I have a small creek and I am building a small hydro-generator to utilize next spring. If you are where lots if sun is available you may want to consider a solar cell also, I purchased one this summer (123 watts) that took care of all my lighting and computer needs + all day music (radio). It is high inital cost but almost zero maintenance.

Good luck, Wilson
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 10:38:55 AM by BurksFallsMan »

JeroenH

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 01:57:53 AM »
Lots of info about hydro in the current issue of Homepower. See www.homepower.com.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 01:57:53 AM by JeroenH »

skravlinge

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 04:01:33 AM »
If the water is real streamy and you dont need much, you can simply use one of the small generators they use to pull after ship. It is easy to install, and I think it is not needed to ask as its always a "temporary situation".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 04:01:33 AM by skravlinge »

kenneth keen

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 04:24:59 PM »
Yes "simply" is a good word but I have been researching for the past several months to try and find someone who has even heard of this device. "A generator which is thrown in behind the yacht when the wind is strong" has not got me a single tip as to where these things are available. I have looked in ebay, written to various second-hand places where they have "everything" with no success.

If you know where these things are made and what they cost I would also like to know!

Thank you.

Kenneth Keen

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 04:24:59 PM by kenneth keen »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Aquair brand
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 07:49:25 PM »
I think they call it 'towed'. They are used on sail boats.

But these things are expensive, like $1000. And aren't too powerful. 100w comes to mind...

Search 'aquair water generator', it is a name brand but there must be others.

A TDM and a furnace blower could make more power for under $100. And less trouble.

G-

« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 07:49:25 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

skravlinge

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 01:57:20 AM »
 I have seen them here  on yachs, but never thought where to buy.

Its basic a propeller attached to a generator. I think it can be built with onshelf stuff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 01:57:20 AM by skravlinge »

skravlinge

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 02:03:53 AM »
http://www.poweriseverything.com/product/uw-tech.html

Here is a rough drawing on a system, and the sell also.

I got a few hits on yahoo with  ""towed generator" aqua."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:03:53 AM by skravlinge »

Nando

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 06:28:20 PM »
fishpa:

Please detail your water availability, like the water volume in hard summer and winter the change in height from the entrance to your site to the exit

I have installed many small hydroelectric systems from 30 watts to many KW.

You can email directly to me

Regards

Nando

« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 06:28:20 PM by Nando »

kenneth keen

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 12:55:18 PM »
Thanks for your help on this but it looks like way too expensive. These on-tow things are made for rich boys who do not care if it costs money. I want something real. Found that electrical motors up to 5kW are going for as little as 12€ or 20US$ (in Ebay). I could buy a book on how to convert this to a generator for the same price but if it is indeed as complicated as two friends advise then I am no further on.

I looked at prices of propellers but they are few and far between so I could return to the tried and tested method, from local resources: a locally made water wheel, with a belt leading to....a generator whose motor has given up. Looking for a year (in the wrong places) and not seen one yet.

Kenneth Keen
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 12:55:18 PM by kenneth keen »