Author Topic: Another Micro Hydro Question(s)  (Read 2108 times)

peter nap

Another Micro Hydro Question(s)
« on: September 25, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
I'm building. Currently I have a small solar system but I want something that is more weather friendly.

I have two springs. One about 500 yards away and another 100 yards. Of course the furthest has the most output.

On the closest one I have 20 feet of head and 20 GPM (we're in a drought now so I assume it is heavier in normal years)

The length of the pipe to achieve the head is 200 feet.

I want to produce at least 2 amps and would like a little more. This is a weekend place so it has all week to charge the battery banks.

In another post, Nando posted this link:

www.h-hdro.com

It does not work for me.

As you have already noticed, I know nothing about hydro, enough about wind to have made one generator, and a fair amount about electricity.

I'd like some direction about turgo units and how to build the housing, where to get the units and how many mistakes I'll make in the process.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:11:52 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: Another Micro Hydro Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:28:13 PM »
I am an inexperienced newbie, but several of the experienced hydro posters will probably want to know the voltage of your battery pack, in order to be able to give you more specific advice.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:28:13 PM by spinningmagnets »

peter nap

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 06:37:21 PM »
12 Volts
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:37:21 PM by peter nap »

dpshort218

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:41:13 PM »
I'm not a hydro person, but my curiosity makes me look for answers. I saw a formula on the Dept of Energy website of "net head [(feet) × flow (gpm)] ÷ 10 = Watts". It also states that 53% is a typical efficiency for microhydro. I'm not sure if this helps you or not.

David
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:41:13 PM by dpshort218 »

juddley

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »
     "In another post, Nando posted this link:

www.h-hdro.com"

Correct link is:

http://www.h-hydro.com/

They supply turbine spoons....

Juddley

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:46:58 PM by juddley »

peter nap

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 01:21:37 AM »
Thanks Juddley.

Now I can figure out how to make the housing!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:21:37 AM by peter nap »

peter nap

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 02:38:07 AM »
OK....now I have the idea. A couple more questions though. In the picture here:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/jrh2big.jpg

the angle of the nozzles appears to be about 22 degrees. I assume (that word again) that angle corresponds to the angle of the spoons. That's understandable but....why are the nozzles so far from the runner?

Also, is the bottom (outflow) completely open or is it enclosed with a "splash bottom" type of arrangement?

To my very uneducated eye, there appears to be a lot of wasted water pressure.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:38:07 AM by peter nap »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »
why are the nozzles so far from the runner?

Doesn't matter how far they are from the rotor as long as the stream hits it right.  If the stream falls a bit that energy from that head is still added to the water.  (Air friction may be less than pipe friction, too, depending on geometry of the stream and the pipe.)

Having said that:  Yes, the usual practice is to have the nozzles closer to the runner.  That way if the head varies the stream still hits it right.

To my very uneducated eye, there appears to be a lot of wasted water pressure.

Where?

The water emerges from the nozzle at a speed dependent solely on the pressure at the opening.  As long as there isn't some nasty discontinuity in the plumbing to create turbulence, or a narrow enough pipe that the friction with the water is significant, the pressure is proportional to the head.

Neglecting such losses the water emerges at the same speed as if it had fallen the distance from the upper surface of the water at the inlet - the same speed necessary for the jet, if it were directed straight up, to rise back to that previous surface level before falling back down.

The amount of power in each unit mass of the water is the same regardless of the nozzle size and flow rate.  So adjustments to the nozzle size (or number of nozzles working) control the flow rate and thus the rate the water is consumed and its energy harvested, without wasting any of it.

At least to the first approximation.

Using large pipes with these small nozzles is better than using small ones.  It reduces the pipe friction.  (It WOULD be a little better to taper the nozzles from the full pipe diameter down to the jet diameter.  But with the jet so much smaller than the pipe the flow rate should be small enough that I don't think there'd be a lot of loss at the discontinuity near the entrance to the nozzle.)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:57:02 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

peter nap

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 04:39:23 AM »
Thanks! That was a very good explanation.

I constructed the frame yesterday but only tack welded the arms so I could do a final adjustment after I get the runner.

I will start doing the pipe work this weekend using 8" PVC.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:39:23 AM by peter nap »