Author Topic: Any energy in this creek?  (Read 5829 times)

Speo

Re: Any energy in this creek?
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »
It looks like you did something similar with what my neighbor did, and it looks like gearing up is wasting the power. That's unbelievable.

Another interesting thing is this: "MUCH POWER IS NEEDED TO RAISE THE BLADES OUT OF THE WATER". Maybe cups will work better from this point of view, because the water will be pushed in all directions not just forward.

Do you have any pictures of your wheels? any drawings? :)

I searched google yesterday night and I found something than worries me: http://www.british-hydro.org

Based on their formula P=100*A*V*V*V, is my paddles are 0.3m X 0.15m (1 foot X 0.5 foot), and my creeks speed is 0.5m/s, then: P=100*0.3*0.15*0.5*0.5*0.5=0.56W ? That's good for few LEDs :)

Thanks,

Speo

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 08:16:35 PM by Speo »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2005, 07:06:17 AM »
The photos look like the water speed is much more than 0.5 m/s to me, because of how it goes over the log and around peoples legs. I would guess it at more like 3 m/s (Just a guess). Was it measured at 0.5 m/s?

G-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 07:06:17 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Speo

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2005, 07:20:28 AM »
No, no, no. It was not measured at all.

I will meke the measurements this weekend: the profile (to get the area of a transversal section of the creek), and the speeds at different distances from the shores.

Speo.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 07:20:28 AM by Speo »

french town

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2005, 08:28:04 AM »
to the board, sorry for the caps. my comp is old, had a jammed key ( switch)
     speo, as the wheel turns the blade entering the water sets up turbulence, (stops the flow) that leaves the blades behind it(down stream)with no pressure on them, they must be pushed out of the water. cups or flat blades I think this remains true.
       Iam hoping that by hinging the blades at 90 deg. they will become neutral when comming out of the water.just the opposite is true in a stern wheeler boat, the more blades in the water the more power. over shot wheels work from the weight of the water in the buckets, the more buckets the better, under shot wheels are a differnt breed of cat.the fewer blades in the water the better, my first try 7ft dia. 6 blades, second try will be 6ft dia. 8 blades hinged. I think this near max. number of blades for this dia.
        you might try to move some rockes in the creek to form a channel, this would increase the flow and deepth, problem is flooding tends to move the rockes.
        there was a posting by hydro camper ,I think, that might be of interest. A number of his machines may work for you.
        as for the power in your creek, if it were only 1ft wide the numbers would be right,humm doese an 8ft blade mean 8 times the power?

I have been told many times, dont try to reinvent the wheel,
                        I say never stop trying(geter done)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 08:28:04 AM by french town »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2005, 11:37:46 AM »
I think that you have got

at least a couple of good possibilities.

1) You might try using the creek

more or less how it is by using

such a generators, which look

quite like electric outboard engines.

Someone already suggested that.

2) You might make a small dam and

a crossflow (Banki) turbine.

I can supply to you

drawings for a home made Banki,

if you'll contact by email.

- Hannu

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 11:37:46 AM by hvirtane »

Speo

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2005, 09:34:39 PM »
Thanks for the posting, I sent you an email.

Speo

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 09:34:39 PM by Speo »

srnoth

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2005, 01:25:24 PM »
Hey Speo, you might want to check out www.dyndns.com for this, they give you an address like yourname.dyndns.com, and you install their program and anytime your ISP changes your IP address, it registers with their servers and now points visitors to that new IP address. It works great, I use it to run my website from home.

Cheers,

Stephen.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 01:25:24 PM by srnoth »

Speo

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »
srnoth, I'll check that, thanks for the suggestion.

Speo

« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 06:08:13 PM by Speo »

TorchLitHill

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2005, 04:10:44 PM »
I had alot to say on this but it all just dissapeared, I hit upload for picture which I just made, after typing and it fricken expired on me, all is lost,except the picture,  damn that sucks!

When I cool off abit I'll try it again, but the jist of it was to use a sidewheel up against the wall.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:10:44 PM by TorchLitHill »

Speo

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »
Sometimes, by clicking "back" you can get your work back...or not.

The best thing is to select and copy it before clicking "post", and if it expires...paste it in a new window.

I'm waiting for your next try.

Speo

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 07:12:19 PM by Speo »

TorchLitHill

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2005, 11:16:33 PM »
I had tried going back, but it was lost, then I realised the picture wouldnt upload because it was done on Windows paint, and I guess it needed to be converted to JPEG, Bitmap would not go through, I even tried it through yahoo trying to send it to dan fink, (administrator)?, but it froze also, although I've got photoshop 7, I never installed it because I don't have the time to read the instructions, anyone know of a quick freeware converter?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 11:16:33 PM by TorchLitHill »

Speo

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2005, 06:28:54 PM »
Email it to me, I'll convert it and send it back to you

My email address: speoATrogersDOTcom

Speo

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 06:28:54 PM by Speo »

TorchLitHill

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2005, 08:41:57 PM »
I've tried to email it to myself, but it still won't work, a couple of days ago I had some strange stuff happen to my pc, I had paint open at the time,and quite a few other windows open, and it locked it up, gave me a bunch of duplicate files, and I'm still trying to figure out what has happened, I looked back at my other pictures I had done with paint and found that all the rest are in Jpeg, DAMN strange!

Since I've had so much trouble with it, I've been taking some down time reworking my first premise, and I believe that I might be wrong on the side wheel, I'm working with the same frame construct, but I think the one I'm working on now is better, let me have a day or two, and I'll try to submit this one, if I cant send it to the forum or you, I'll make a copy of it and then scan, then send, Like I said strange forces are at work here, and I've got my system pretty secure behind a myriad of defenses, whatever got in masked itself pretty good.

Well time to get back to work on my designs and yours..., by the way I'm not saying that my ideas are best, just my opinion of what I might do, in the same position.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 08:41:57 PM by TorchLitHill »

TorchLitHill

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2005, 08:22:15 AM »
To Speo, the link to your email, doesn't go through, send me an email at torchlithill@yahoo.com, and I'll send them by reply, you might want to check your email link.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:22:15 AM by TorchLitHill »

TorchLitHill

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2005, 09:43:38 AM »
Your email link is wrong because its not speo@rogers.com, you need to edit
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 09:43:38 AM by TorchLitHill »

TorchLitHill

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2005, 04:34:04 PM »
Speo, did you get the pictures?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 04:34:04 PM by TorchLitHill »