Author Topic: Wanted DIY kaplan powerpal type of plans  (Read 3252 times)

oregoncreek

Wanted DIY kaplan powerpal type of plans
« on: February 21, 2006, 08:13:48 AM »
I wanting to build kaplan / powerpal type of pico hydro.

My striat down shot kaplan only makes 20 watts at 12 volts instead of 150 like the others.

so I'm wondering if there any DIY plans or other who have bulit some thing like this.

Ieady to weld n cut.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:13:48 AM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Wanted DIY kaplan powerpal type of plans
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 02:25:10 PM »
WHAT IS : "My striat down shot kaplan" , please detail what you have.

Also, detail the water source, volume, head, RPM of the turbine and the generator characteristics plus the connection to the battery bank, etc to see what the problem can be.

Nando

« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:25:10 PM by Nando »

oregoncreek

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:50:19 PM »
my kaplan is a 6" pipe with holes on the side for the water to down past the blade.

power pal makes 200 watts for this same head. so I looking to better my generator.

My dam has 4-5 drop and a 6" inch runing thru it. with volume to supply that pipe

many times over.

So I'm looking to build my own powerpal type kaplan , but need plans to do this.

so I'm looking for plans or photos etc..

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 11:50:19 PM by oregoncreek »

GaryGary

• Build-It-Solar
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:11:08 PM »
Hi,

This probably does not help much, but there are plans here for a Michell turbine, which is suitable for the head you have, and looks reasonable to make:

http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/3wdev/VITAHTML/SUBLEV/EN1/BANKITUR.HTM

If you go up a level from this doc, there is more stuff on hydro, including more detailed plans, but did not check to see if there was a Kaplan amoung them.  

Gary

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:11:08 PM by GaryGary »

Nando

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »
I can not follow your description of your Kaplan, so I can not give suggestions and "whys" the turbine is just producing a low % of what you expect.

If you have photographs, it may help a lot.

This low power could be caused by early heavy loading that stalls the turbine, common with people without much experience with Hydros.

It seems that the generator is not allowed to develop its normal and expected RPM.

Can you describe in detail what you have, generator voltage ( unloaded) what type of load and how you are connecting it.

Do know how to weld ( Tig or Mig) and cut 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick stainless for a possible fabrication of a propeller.

Nando.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 11:04:09 PM by Nando »