Author Topic: hydroscreen, or other wedge wire  (Read 1433 times)

dscheckman

hydroscreen, or other wedge wire
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:04:02 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for information on Hydroscreen or other coanda effect wedge wire screen for a microhydro project this summer. I've had no luck getting information from hydroscreen.com or their contact person. In particular, design criteria, cost and where and in what form it may be purchased. Thanks for any help.

David Scheckman

Plainfield, Vermont
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:04:02 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: hydroscreen, or other wedge wire
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:55:30 PM »
No idea where to get it but thanks for mentioning it and kicking me into looking it up on the web.

What a great device:  A screen and simple supporting structure, suitable for input to a headstock or other water diversion (such as irrigation) that trades away maybe 4 feet of head and a small fraction of the water flow for being self-cleaning, letting leaves, rocks, fish, fish EGGS, insect larva, etc. go on down the stream rather than clogging the intake.

(And a similar application for street drains that lets the water into the drain and dumps the debris into a vault - that doesn't need cleaning out until the vault is full.)

I like it.

Especially the way it's frictionless for the diversion flow, since the screen wires keep peeling off and diverting the boundary layer.  So the bypass flow maintains its speed (actually, accellerates as it slides down the screen) and the fish get a ski-jump rather than stuck to the screen.  B-)

(Assuming it doesn't act like a cheese grater and take off their slime coat on the way down the slide, making them more vulnerable to fungus infections.  B-(  Better than being sucked into a turbine, though, or becoming trapped in an irrigation ditch to end up as fertilizer.  B-)  )

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:55:30 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Rabrsniver

Re: hydroscreen, or other wedge wire
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:49:47 PM »
Hi,

I believe you can still get the hydroscreen at Realgoods.com.

As far as the requirements, I was told that you need about 10' of head (above the intake)to make the screen work properly. They also have a hydrotube, which can be used if you don't have your water "falling" over a spillway.

Hope this helps.

John

PS You can purchase directly from hydroscreen too. I think Robert Weir is the owner of the company, and you can email him from their site.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 01:49:47 PM by Rabrsniver »