Author Topic: Battery free hydro-electric system?  (Read 1654 times)

Farmer

Battery free hydro-electric system?
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:03:25 AM »
Is it reasonable to attempt to build a battery free hydro-electric system?

It seems to me that it should be possible to have a governor control the rpm of a turbine which is connected to a small ST generator head.  I would appreciate any links to systems of this type.

I have a vacation property with >50 feet of head and hundreds of gallons of water per minute even in the driest part of the year.  

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:03:25 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Battery free hydro-electric system?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:08:57 AM »
If you have sufficient water to supply your maximum demand at any time then it would be crazy to include batteries. The only need for batteries is to average the power if it is sufficient to meet peak demand.

The ideal scheme is to use a turbine with a governor to hold speed reasonably constant and to use an AVR to hold volts constant.

For small schemes this is a tall order unless you are skilled in designing turbine speed regulators.

The more common scheme for small hydro is to load the turbine constantly to something above your peak power demand into some form of dump load ( ideal heating in winter). You use a controller that shares your load with the dump such that the turbine load stays constant. This regulates the speed and voltage as neither the turbine or alternator see the change in load. The scheme often uses induction generators as they are cheaper than alternators and their problems of regulation of voltage with load are not a problem here.

Your initial cost for turbine, alternator and installation may be higher than for a battery system but you will not be burdened by the cost of batteries for eternity.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:08:57 AM by Flux »

joshimate

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:56:55 AM »
very sense!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:56:55 AM by joshimate »

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »
That is a very helpful response.

Yes the dump load and induction generator does seem pretty easy and straight forward.  

What kind of charge controller would you look at?

For a dump load an electric hot water heater makes sense.  If I put an automotive thermostat on an overflow it would never overheat.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:50:59 AM by Farmer »