Author Topic: Banki turbine project help  (Read 4407 times)

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
Banki turbine project help
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:23:12 PM »
Hi all,

I found all the following in skips.

I am wanting to make a Banki style turbine made from a blower fan.

I have a rough idea as to the set up but just want to see if there are any other thoughts out there who have had experience.

I have attached a photo.  

The Pipe is 110mm pooh pipe.  

The angle it comes in at I believe 10 oclock and exits at 3 oclock.

I need to make some bearings, i have found some nylon which might do the job, any thoughts?

http://tiny.cc/XKonL

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Jonathan

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:23:12 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Banki turbine project help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
The fan is probably not ideal, the blades are small in relation to the diameter but it should work in some way.

The whole thing looks far too large for your water supply so again not ideal.

With that supply pipe, if you can get it to run full with full head you will only need a small nozzle area so don't expect to use much of the width. Your nozzle will also probably only span one blade if you want to keep the velocity up. I don't know how much energy you will reclaim on the second stage but with the large diameter you have a reasonable chance of it reaching the second stage at some sort of sensible angle.

I think the Banki is somewhat misunderstood and many things I have seen seem far too big for the volume of water supplied. With your little supply pipe I suspect something reasonably proportioned would use a rotor about 1/4 the width and diameter.

Your nozzle needs to be small enough to convert the pressure energy in the pipe into velocity so its throat area will be well below the supply pipe area.

Don't forget it is not a waterwheel, it is a turbine. Look at some of the pictures of the Ossberger ( spelling?) to get a realistic idea of the nozzle and how it conforms to the rotor surface.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:01:21 AM by Flux »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
Hi Flux,

Thanks for those comments.

I have had a look at Ossberger designs and see your point about sizing, it is defiantly to big for the supply I have!

I am only looking to generate 15 watts which I hope, even with a terrible efficiency, I should be able to archive.

With regard the nozzle, I am now thinking of making it from ply wood and hinging the top flap as to allow for adjustment.  Heating up the end of the supply pipe and flattening it and attaching it to the back of the nozzle.

Trying to keep costs down as low as possible is never a good recipe for a well engineered item, oh well, i am having fun with it!

Regards

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:35:25 AM by Jon Miller »

scottsAI

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »
Check out my very recent post on a Banki.

http://www.fieldlines.com/comments/2009/3/29/205523/911/3#3

Same applies to you.

Small dia PVC turbine can be built for the low power. Not cost much.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:18:02 PM by scottsAI »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:05:03 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA