Author Topic: altinator life  (Read 2504 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
altinator life
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:00:34 AM »
An altinator running 24/7 totals up alot of hours in a couple of years. The size and speed  used may take it's toll quickly on the bearings. Say 21,000 hours (3yrs est) does anyone have a place I get could a list of a bearings est. life either roller or ball bearings. Just for small bearings for things as altinators and cross flow turbines. I will be in an isolated area and wish to have a spare parts cabinet. Sometimes 112 miles round trip for parts will be out of the question. Just looking ahead.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:00:34 AM by (unknown) »
MntMnROY 13

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
Re: altinator life
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
most sealed ball brgs such as used in motors and alternators

have a 5k hour lifespan, some a bit more and it depends on various factors

heat, humidity, dirt, loading, shock loading, etc.

i would plan on having spares and changing them annually in any machine that turns

1800rpm or more, maybe a longer at reduced speeds.

probably longer at reduced speeds

my opinion based on what i have read somewhere in a brg book long ago while working

as a millwright.

now if you have tapered rollers and an oil bath, they can run for a very long time

at lower rpms such as those in a windturbine.

bob g

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:07:13 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
let me add this for contrast

a screw type compressor with circulating ATF lubrication will have brg life in

excess of 100k hours running at 3000rpm plus, i haven't been around one that went that far, mainly because i left before they got to half that,, and they are still doing what they do best.

so i guess what is it exactly you are using the brgs in?

if it is in a hydro with an automotive alternator even if modified, i would put up a spare set (they are cheap) and check them annually till you get a sense of lifespan.

bob g

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:11:33 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

electrak

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:10:20 AM »
It's a matter of usage, where I work we have convyor bearings we replace every six months, they are used minutes an hour but with high loading in grit, we have pumps that run 24/7 going 10 years at 3400rpm lightly loaded someplace clean,

If your turbine is always turning that is better,

Will you be able to get mail? most bearing can get shipped quickly.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:10:20 AM by electrak »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
The mail at this time during the winter is about once every three weeks unless you snowmobile out. They do not have a system that works yet but there is a drop mailbox that they put in this year about 6 miles from my house. they will pick it up once every 14 days but that also denpends on the weather. You can get out in the winter but it is an all day relay of snowmobiles 4X4's then down to the highway then to town. No cell service unless you go to the top of the mountains they also put a relay station in so now there is four radio stations I can get in the after noon. The nieghbor below me has a satilite system but because of the steep mountians he only gets reception 3-8 every twelves. I would like it to stay that way but it will not.

As for your bearings 6 years ago they made a bearing with tripple metal seals for use in water. We went from every 4-6 months to once evry 2 years on their life. This was in a slurry system. Might ask about them. Just some ideas.Thanks for yours.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:01:45 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

ruddycrazy

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:44:30 AM »
Just an idea to throw around.... If you say machine up your alternator in the lathe and get everything aligned within 0.001" then bronze bush's will give a good life long service. Just consider the turbines power plants use, they use white metal bush's and run for years at 20,000 rpm +. Just remember alignment is the key to long life using bronze, brass or any other industry standard bush. In water condtions where moisture can leak past seals bush's are the go but the unit must take in design considerations to accomadate bushs.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:44:30 AM by ruddycrazy »