Author Topic: Compact Florescent light bulb question  (Read 1795 times)

force9BOAT

Compact Florescent light bulb question
« on: May 09, 2006, 04:51:54 AM »
This question is a little bit similar to the one from cookgm.

I have two 15 watt (60 watt equivalent) CF light bulbs powered by a 400W inverter from 24V batteries.  I find they work fine when I flip the light switch on if the bulbs were cold.  But if the lights have been on for more than about ten minutes, time to warm up, then if I turn them off and then back on again they take down my inverter.  The inverter fan stops and everything goes dead.  As soon as I turn the light switch off the inverter starts up again.

The only thing I can think is happening is that the CF light bulbs must have a big startup load when they are hot.  If I give them time to cool down then when I turn them on everything works fine.  

Can anyone confirm this is the cause?  If so, how big is the startup load when the CF bulbs are hot?

Thank you,

Rob

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:51:54 AM by (unknown) »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Compact Florescent light bulb question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 06:45:51 AM »
Not a high current inrush problem w/ CFL's. The two CFL's are competing w/ each other trying to charge their capacitors with their cold-start ramp up circuitry bypassed.

A MSW inverter has problems with pure capacitance devices distorting the MSW controller waveform feedback loop... Try a little 7.5 to 15 watt incandescent night-light bulb added to circuit leg the CFL's are on - that extra resistance load gives waveform something "to push against" that capacitors are better able to charge off of...

-

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:45:51 AM by DanG »

force9BOAT

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 10:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Now I understand what's going on.  I'll try your suggestion.

Rob

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:07:26 AM by force9BOAT »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »
I've actually gone around my house with an ammeter and tested dozens of things starting up, running, hot, shutting down, etc.  The CFL's that I checked ran at exactly their rated power all the time.  I couldn't read fluctuations greater than 0.1Amp with the meter I used, but that satisfied me.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 02:14:20 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 03:11:40 PM »
What brand of inverter?

G-
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:11:40 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

scottsAI

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
I had the same problem, wanted to run the inverter during a power failure.

Loads were two 23 w CF and a laptop 42w.

Inverter shutdown on any load I tried. Broke? :-(

So plugged in a 100 w incandescent lamp, worked fine!

Then turned on the other loads, all work fine.

Turned off the 100w lamp. Still work...

Have fun,

Scott.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 06:20:29 PM by scottsAI »

DEM syndrome

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 07:01:24 AM »
it is a familar problem with any capacitance devices  

i resolved the problem with a current regulator (ref LM317 as current regulator configuration) however it is limited to 1 amp but sure resolved the overload inrush current problem

My aplication was charging up a 600,000 uf cap. to a 6 volt temp storage(and sure saved fuses on my regulated supply)

DEM sufferer

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 07:01:24 AM by DEM syndrome »