Author Topic: CFLs in Every House, WalMarts new pledge  (Read 3347 times)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
CFLs in Every House, WalMarts new pledge
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »
WalMart has realized the energy savings that Compact Flourescent Lights provide. They are partnering with General Electric to bring the prices down and save it's customers money on the Bulbs and their Energy use. This will give everybody more money to spend at WalMart.

http://www.fastcompany.com/subscr/108/open_lightbulbs.html

W o o f -{(

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 03:44:56 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: CFLs in Every House, WalMarts new pledge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »
now if we can get habitat for humanity to stop using cheap standard bulbs we'll be all set.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:32:02 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »
The announcment may really mean out-of-date production lines with patent-expired technology even no 3rd world nation wants to purchase will be the sole-source wallyworld supplier. Yippee.

I humbly suggest it's an attempt to get some 'green' public relations spin, the items we will be seeing are not near the best items but simply cheap to manufactuor and distribute. Warranties actually honored from the couch potato class, wallyworlds secret ingredient, will be near zero - who keeps records on lightbuld puchases?

Now if they would offer ultra-modern premium devices for cost plus 10% it would be an accomplishment - high temperature capable (enclosed fixture rated) with low starting temperatures for cold weather use, include patented phosphors in a package thats nearly unbreakable with a 10 year warranty etc. would be something to announce!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 01:14:52 PM by DanG »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
I can buy them at the dollar store for a buck ($1)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:37:08 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
It's their bottom line that they care about, it's the 6$M they are looking at while having people "think" they're moving towards "greening" up.

BUT if it does help lower the cost, then good, except I can go to the lowe's/home depots and buy the GOOD ones for ~2.00USD

:--)

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 03:44:16 PM by Bruce S »

Gary D

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 08:08:14 AM »
 If you read the article (and you have), 100 million WERE sold last year alone in the U.S.! So a 1 million car equivalent greenhouse gas emmission was already avoided (supposedly)...

Very interesting that the Wally world people can't find candle arbra(sp?) cfl's. They are readily available, altho may be too expensive for them. Perhaps they should go to "another" store and buy some(gasp!).        ;-D  Gary D

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:08:14 AM by Gary D »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 08:34:07 AM »
You got that right!!

I needed some for the ceiling fan and they looked at me like I had spinach in my teeth or something. No problem for me went to the "other" store and found the 7 watters , :--) even came with adapters so I could use them in standard light sockets.

The only thing a would love to find would be an inexpensive dimmer switch that works without heating up.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:34:07 AM by Bruce S »

asheets

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 03:26:32 PM »
That may be a problem, since every contractor I know are dumping their incandesent supplies at H4H and installing cfls instead.

That having been said, I rather like my home, which was originally a H4H project.  Very easy on the utility bills, and even more so now that I've put in cfls.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:26:32 PM by asheets »

asheets

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 03:28:24 PM »
I found some of those on sale at Home Depot.  They work great once you burn them in a little (they were a bit dim at 1st).

I, too, wish I could find a dimmer for those things.  I would then replace the bulbs in the dining room chandelier with them...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:28:24 PM by asheets »

steviep101

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 06:55:11 PM »
Most flouresent compacts or regular will not work on a dimmer, you have to order special lamps for that purpose. They are avaiable but expensive. Some states even give a rebate for buying cfl or fixtures that use fluresents. Here in NH it is like 10.00 per fixture or 1.00 per multi-pack of lamps. I do know at HD they take the rebate off right at the register as long as you fill out the cuponds. As an electicianI m amazed how far these lamps have.

The biggest call I have for these fixtures are apartment buidings in the common areas , they are changing out fixtures to ones that only take the 2 pin plugin ones. They save money 2 ways, 1 on electricity,the 2nd on bulbs, when ever tenets blow bulbs they it seems to be cheaper to take the landlords.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:55:11 PM by steviep101 »