Author Topic: need more power for for solar garden light  (Read 4951 times)

xboxman

need more power for for solar garden light
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:49:10 PM »
Hi Guys

ok here's what i got i have 2 solar PL06 Solar 'Regency' Pillar / Column / Pedestal Light (Square Base) first one on this page

http://solarilluminations.com/acatalog/Solar_Post_Pillar_Column_Pole_Lanterns_Light_Fixtures.html

works up to 6 hours  which i want it to last all night about 13 hours in winter..it has 20 led's the company says the Output is approximately 15-20 watts  which looks about right ..each light has 8 AA size Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries  that are 1000 mah each which i charged up with a la crosse technology BC-900 charger which did a great job i got most of the batts up to 1700 mah and the lights work all night for 2 nights with not much sun of a day...the web site says that the lights need 12 full hours of sun each day to charge up the batts to last up to 6 hours at night ...

each light has Four high quality Siemens solar panels discretely built flush into the top of the fixture.

Each solar panel is 0.7w. Total 2.8w.

so my question is how many more watts would i need to hook up so that the batts will charge up full in about 7 hours  for winter use?

i was thinking of putting a solar panel on the post that the lights are on and hooking in to the batts

thanks
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:49:10 PM by (unknown) »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Re: need more power for for solar garden light
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
Gameman -

Look closely at the various models with identical LED configurations available and note that most of them specify 'equal to' when referring to light output, even though this one for some reason doesn't. Actual power input is much less; forget anything about 15-20 watts - it's irrelevant for this problem.

That being said, hopefully this little 'worksheet' can help you find your answer:

Typical 'regular' white LEDs are driven somewhere around 20mA each, sometimes as high as 30mA if the designer of the fixture was feeling froggy. A little math reveals that with 20 LEDs @ 20mA, the total is 400mA; @30, 600mA.

Unfortunately, just saying '8 NiMH batteries' doesnt describe how they are configured, so we have no way of knowing what the actual losses are to calculate your usable runtime.

At best, I can surmise a set of raw, ideal calculations based on general knowledge:

8 x 1000mAH =

8AH @ 1.2V =

9.6WH Maximum theoretical capacity.

And, I'm going to take a stab and assume that they are configured in series-parallel to provide 4.8V @ 2000mAH, based on the fact that there are 16 total solar cells: 4 in each 'panel', total of ~8V less the drop across the blocking diode = 7.3V in full sunlight. Plausible configuration to charge a 4.8V battery.

White LEDs of this nature hit saturation at about 3.2V. Power input to the LEDs @ 3.2V @ 400mA = 1.28W

Assuming they are using a dropping resistor to limit current (rather than a buck converter), the resistor will be dissipating (for argument's sake) an average of .8V @ 400mA = .32W (I base this on the idea that at full charge, it drops 1.6V, at 'past-dead' it is dropping negligible voltage as the LED array begins to fall out of saturation. Ignorantly using a linear discharge curve, the average over the cycle is .8).

Total notable power consumption = 1.28W + .32W = 1.6W

9.6WH / 1.6W = 6 Hours

This falls about into place for the 12 hour charge for 6 hour runtime, given the likely high charge inefficiencies and all.

I am curious however, to see exactly how you got 'most of the batts up to 1700 mah' from 1000mAH. Not gonna happen, I don't care what the charger manufacturer claims. :)

While your runtime increased, it is likely that you just got a very thorough charge in them, not something that 'plop-em-on-a-pole' solar lights are famous for. Also, as I kind of hinted to above, it depends on what you call 'dead'... When the light begins to dim (falling below saturation) or no longer visible at all... ?

It seems to me that you're going to need not only more solar input, but a higher capacity battery layout to store it in. I'm guessing something like 3 times the solar and twice the AH capacity should get you close.

Too many factors to speculate on here, but there's the general idea. Hope it helped.

Steve

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:25:20 PM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

xboxman

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »
Hey Steve

thanks for the info

i will need to take one of the lights apart and see how they have it wired up and stuff..

for the part about me getting the batts up to 1700mah this charger i have has a LCD screen that shows how many mah's each battery has charged up to now if it's working right or not i'm not sure but it shows that most of them were 1700 mah's or a bit over 1700mah so i'm not sure whats going on there. here's a link to the charger i have  

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00077AA5Q/themusicso0b3109-20

but i think i can make lights that will work alot better than what these do and a lot cheaper .. when the factory warranty runs out on these lights i will take them apart and get more info for yuo all

thanks

gameman aka xboxman
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:07:31 AM by gameman »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »
The rechargeable AA battteries sold locally as "Hampton Bay" brand for solar lights are NiCads, not NiMH's and they had lower capacities. AA's are rated 800 mah. But, AA NiMH no-name sold at the BigLots down the street are supposed to be 2000 mah.

And, the C cell NiMH's sold by Harbor Freight are rated 1500 mah.

I suspect a lot of BS on the mah ratings. All of these batteries were made in China, and if the makers lie what are you going to do about it? We don't have a choice since most of our manufacturing has been sent overseas.

NiCads in a solar light make sense only if the light is fully discharged each night. NiCads have more charge/discharge life cycles, but suffer from the 'memory effect' if not fully discharged.

The easiest way to get longer battery life is to disconnect 5 of the 20 LEDs. You get less sun in the winter and have longer nights. Adding extra batteries won't change that.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:57:39 PM by dnix71 »

xboxman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
ok i got around to taking one of the lights apart and it has the 8 AA batts divided up into 2 packs of 4 and it has a DC to DC converter ( they have 1 red but 2 black wires going to the LED's ?? )..........so i'm thinking can i just wire up an external solar panel maybe in the 6 volt range to help charge up the AA's ? or should i go all out and hook up a 12 volt batt about 9 AH to 15 AH range with a charge controller and all powered by about a 10 watt panel ??
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 02:33:20 PM by gameman »