Author Topic: Question about PVC blades...  (Read 1713 times)

ezee

Question about PVC blades...
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:26:06 PM »
I am replacing the blades on a VERY small generator (the one seen here http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/minigen.htm )

The plastic fan blades don't offer enough swept area to get the motor turning in the slow average winds here in Ohio.

However, I think if I mount some PVC blades on it...the motor chassis is very sturdy and I might get it to work in the low winds we have here.

Questions:

1.  What PVC blade template (there are at least 3-4 out there) is best for low wind /small motor.
  2.  How does diameter of the PVC effect performance?  My gut tells me that low wind wants a flatter blade...so maybe I should use larger diam PVC?  I dunno...
  3.  What blade length do you guys recommend (see generator specs on the link above, since my gut tells me "blade length depends on generator specs)
  4.  How many blades?  
  5.  Has anyone ever done any studying about heating and twisting these PVC blades to correct for relative wind?
  6.  All the designs I have seen just mount the blade to the hub with no thought for blade angle.  They just cut the blades and screw them to the hub close to the edge of the blade, using the back of the blade to establish the angle of attack.  Has anyone ever tried to test and adjust these PVC blades to optimize the angle?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:26:06 PM by (unknown) »