Author Topic: Which PMA is best?  (Read 1257 times)

mariasman

Which PMA is best?
« on: October 24, 2007, 02:48:38 AM »
What sort of PMA would be best to charge a large 12 volt traction battery at a charging rate of about 70 amps (roughly one KW), yet keep a moderately low speed (preferably less than 1000 rpm) AND see a relatively high efficiency (preferably 75% or better)?

I've noticed the SC and SCS series PMA's avaiable on a few sites. Which of these, if any, would be suitable? My intention is to use an engine to drive the PMA for charging a battery system. Knowing the (approximate) PMA speeds associated with the charging rates (assuming 12 volt battery system) would help to answer a lot of questions. Please help if you can ;-).

Assuming we know what "the SC and SCS series PMA's avaiable on a few sites" means without other detail is just not sensible. You need to provide more information including details.

Moved to Newbies. TW

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 02:48:38 AM by (unknown) »

mariasman

Re: Which PMA is best?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »
While I do appreciate the sarcasm, I must note that I have searched the board for the information. There are many references to closed circuit charging voltages vs. rpm and other information that, while useful, do not provide what I'm looking for.  (... and "keep in mind that sarcastic and cynical comments that you might make in person"... well, you know the rest ;-).

If there is anyone reading my post who can draw on their own personal experience in answering the question, then please do so. Once again I'm inquiring on the relationship between speed, power, and efficiency in commercially available PMA's used in charging 12 volt battery systems.

Also, if there are posts that already answer my question then please direct me. Thank you!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:19:38 PM by mariasman »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:33:57 PM »
Ok, you neglected to answer the main question related to what  you seemed to ask:

Are we expected to know what this means?:

the SC and SCS series PMA's avaiable on a few sites

And, it is NOT sarcasm, it is frustration with half thought out questions getting dumped here with sketchy details. I could have just let it slide down the tubes, too, but didn't. Don't waste your time being outraged, provide the details so folks can help. Or not. Its up to you.

T

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:33:57 PM by TomW »

mariasman

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:51:53 PM »
Outrage? Not at all. But it's probably best that you just delete my post. I'll go elsewhere where hopefully the moderators are more helpful and courteous.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:51:53 PM by mariasman »