Author Topic: Did I make the right choice for motor?  (Read 1030 times)

Turgorunner

Did I make the right choice for motor?
« on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:39 AM »
 need help to determine if the motor I have just ordered will be applicable for a small wind turbine. I hope to produce just over 12 volts to charge my battery bank. All of my previous experience is with microhydro = an AC/Delco industrial alt direct coupled to a 4" turgorunner. I have moved from my site with water to a very windy place, and am eager to try a small wind project. My waterwheel's alt. required a field charge and Im told this motor does not and would be more than adequate for my application. I hope someone can confirm this, as Im second guessing my purchase. Until it gets here and I can throw chuck it into my drill, Ill be pulling my hair out wondering.

These are the specs of the motor, a permag with brushes.

1. and a half at 130 VDC int HP
  2. and a half HP at 95 VDC cont.
  3. to 130 VDC 18 and a half Amps
  4. to 6750 RPM Rotation reversible

Am I correct in thinking that I can reduce the rpm and still generate power with this motor, and if I wanted to get it around 15 volts, I could just reduce the speed until I get it right? Also, would blade length be the determining factor to achieve the desired RPM? There is more than enough wind here! Any help would be greatly appreciated! If anyone needs a used 4 inch turgorunner and base (the delco alt. finally died) with nozzles, perhaps we can work something out.

Duplicate more or less.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:12:39 AM by (unknown) »