Author Topic: Inverter options [OFF TOPIC CLOSED]  (Read 986 times)

B Bodish

Inverter options [OFF TOPIC CLOSED]
« on: April 01, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
OK, sorry in advance for the super long post!

I am converting my old jeep Cherokee into an  "efficiency RV' : )

I want to install a Vector MAXX 2500 mod sin wave inverter, { www.donrowe.com/inverters/vector_2500.html  } and a bank of either 2 or 4 Trojan Batteries (I may do four because they charge for shipping 18 whether you get 1 or 18. . . anyone in the PA area wanna go in on an order?) here's the batteries:

http://store.altenergystore.com/Batteries/Batteries-Flooded-Lead-Acid/Trojan-T-105-6V-225Ah-20Hr-Flo

oded-Lead-Acid/p1771/?source=froogle

I am going to run a 48 watt 40 qt Coleman thermo electric cooler, a tappan space saver microwave 650 watt [ 1500watt 3 wire ac ] -

* by the way this model was manufactured in 1986!!  It came into my possession (free!) in 1994 and has been running for at least 15 minutes a day since then and makes not hint at quitting yet!!  (boils two cups of water in 2.5 min) who knows how much it was operated before that. If this thing quits I will certainly buy tappan again **

- many small devices like a usb transmitter that transmits MP3s from a player to the radio of my car stereo.  a GPS navigator, and occasionally the laptop and external HD.

I was told I need the 2500 watt inverter to kick over the microwave even though it only pulls 650.  That is the only reason why the inverter is so big.

I wanted a battery bank mostly just for the cooler, in case the engine goes and I need to keep some food until I get "off road recovered!".  

I am now wondering if I should get either a UPS or mini True Sine Inverter to run the laptop (brand new) and the HD.  I fear for my investments and in the case of the HD, I heard square waves speed up motors so I am wondering if that would cause corruption in data writing by this device.

Question, can you plug a UPS right into a square wave inverter, or will it get fried being that it is a "charger" similar device.

if a mini TruSin inverter is used in tandem with the square wave, where in the circuit is best for the TruSin?  right after the battery bank?

Do you think the square wave will eventually fry the cooler fan motor?

If the cooler comes with a car lighter plug as the primary plug (12vdc), could it simply be hard wired to a 12v section of the battery bank, bypassing the square wave altogether?

The power supply on laptops and external hard drives have a transformer built into their plug, then this feeds a battery, then the machine (I think).  Question:

does the transformer and battery "cushion" the spikes of the square wave, making the final juice safe for the machine?

Sorry bout all the questions but here's some more!  : )

Inverter/charger combos are (seemingly) twice as expensive as if you assemble multiple devices, separately.  Is their really that much of a benefit or is one simply paying for convenience and space savings.

If I am generating this power with my in line 6 engine, do I need to upgrade the alternator?

If I get a inverter/charger, they have no AC outlets!  where (and how) in the circuit does one wire in a strip of outlets?

Could the starter battery and battery charger be taken out of the loop altogether, and the battery bank be directly charged by the alternator?  (would this also eliminate the need for an isolator)

Thanks for your time!!  

Brian Bodish

Ellwood City PA

Not RE, not even interesting.
BYE.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 02:57:37 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Inverter options
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:50 AM »
Think Sam's Club for the batteries!

Can buy the batteries cheaper than the freight.

Take batteries for trade-in if possible.

Those coolers are mostly a novelty.  Don't expect them to do much.

G-

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:45:50 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller