Author Topic: The Infamous Perpetual Motion Machine...  (Read 923 times)

jissjass

The Infamous Perpetual Motion Machine...
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »
So, here's the thought. Is it possible to have a gravity driven ball descend a large collection of ramps zigzagging back and forth (like on the mechanically designed gumball dispensers) passing paddle wheels hooked up as turbines and have all this motion captured and turned into enough voltage to power a motor at the bottom of the ramps that could then lift the ball back to the top of the ramps?   The lengths of the ramps would be, say, triple the height of the lift to the top. If an equal force is released by the ball going either up or down (Newton), then in theory, by increasing the distance it goes done, one could create a surplus amount of energy beyond carrying the ball upwards.  If, in this perfect world, the equipment were available to convert the energy efficiently enough.  

I know only a little about physics, and even less of mechanics and materials, so any pros out there who want to consider this, please let me know if this is at all feasible or if I am just dreaming.  If it even is remotely possible, I'd like to try build this as a science geek experiment/art installation.  If you know it won't work, please let me know and save me lotsa time and money.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:35:56 PM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: The Infamous Perpetual Motion Machine...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:44:36 AM »
Understanding little about physics doesn't get you off the hook.

Perpetual motion in any way shape or form DOES NOT WORK.

My poor brother's task at the European Patent Office was to break the news as gently as possible to every applicant.

Would you start skydiving without learning the basics?

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:44:36 AM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social