Author Topic: Stator Pour  (Read 805 times)

oak leaf

Stator Pour
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »
I got brave and decided to pour the resin and set the coils. I had been looking at them for a week and worried about the type of resin to use, what the temp was that I would be working in and many other things.

Last night I did it. Learned some things, I did. It did not go as well as I had it in my head it would. The resin set up very fast, working time was less than was posted on the can.

I had a lot of trouble getting it out of the mold. There are some small hair line cracks. But thats ok, I made two sets of coils and I will try again. I think I know what went wrong and will adjust.

I do think I will try to run this set but need a back up.

Just an up date on my progress.

Harlon    

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:10:37 AM by (unknown) »

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
Re: Stator Pour
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
Harlon,

Next time try putting in 1/2 the amount of hardner into the resin.  The mix is temperature and humidity dependant, so goes off faster in warmer weather.  What they put on the can is mearly a guideline.

It's best to use less (but enough) as it keeps the heat down when the resin does go off.  Also make sure you put in chopped fibers or something into the resin to make it strong, you did not mention if you did or not.

They rarely just fall out of the mold, some persuasion may be necessary and often times the resin 'eats' any paint that you put onto the mold.

Tough lesson, keep learning.

Dan

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:16:33 AM by dlenox »