Author Topic: Connecting 2 turbines together  (Read 2189 times)

scallywagard

Connecting 2 turbines together
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »
I want to build a VAWT with two seperate turbines,both on the shaft. Each stator will be wired the same in a 3 phase ac wireing. Can they both be connected together and then sent to the rectifiers? or ??? how would one go about conecting the two turbines together?

Thanks

Greg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:50:45 PM by (unknown) »

DanS

Re: Connecting 2 turbines together
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »
You mean like a top and bottom set of stators/rotors, giving 2 coil discs and 4 magnet discs total?

If you line up the coils and magnets between top and bottom of the VAWT, you can wire the top set of coils in series with the corresponding bottom set - the phases will be in sync with each other and you'll see double the output (well, extra drag aside).

Just make sure the top and bottom are identically made in terms of magnet polarity and coil directions, and installed in line with each other, and you'll be fine.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:28:05 PM by DanS »

la7qz

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »
... but if you rectified them seperately, you could let one stator freewheel in low wind situations to keep the turbine spinning and still produce from the other stator?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:14:41 PM by la7qz »

vawtman

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
 Hi Greg

If they are both sharing the same driveshaft then why not just one alt.?Maybe i missed something with your design.

Let me know where i screwed up.

Thanks

Mark

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:19:57 PM by vawtman »

scallywagard

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »
Hi DanS; Thanks for your help,If I understand you right I would make both turbines exactly the same and stack them on top of each other orentated exactly the same. Then I would connect the first wire on the bottom turbine with the first wire on the top turbine, and the second to second, and third to the third for the 3 phase setup. Then on to the rectifier with 3 single wires.

I hope I understand you

Thank You

Greg
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:19:53 PM by scallywagard »

scallywagard

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50:35 PM »
Good point la7qz, Do you think that could be done automaticaly threw a machanical/ electrical switch?

But the reason I am doing this is because, I am living on the edge, and the two ed lenz turbines that I built just don't seem to stand up to the winds in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska where I live. They are great little machines for down south I figure, But put them up in 20 to 50 MPH winds for three or four weeks where they only sat still for maybe 2 twelve hour periods.  Really puts a turbine to the test.

After I fried them both on the first good blow, I rebuilt one and set the magnets further apart. It didn't fry. It just wore some of the parts down to where it was making noise. So I took it down and here I am.

Thanks

Greg      BTW it blowing 35-40 MPH S.E. right now

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:50:35 PM by scallywagard »

scallywagard

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »
You are right Mark, I just have the parts for two smaller ones. Might as well use them it one application of some thing I would like to do. VAWT

Thanks got to go to dinner

Greg

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:58:26 PM by scallywagard »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
I figure it would fall under the same rules as the "2 stators" ideas.

Meaning the same parts in a single PMA can make 4X the power.

G-
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:18:51 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller