Author Topic: Why we respect Neodymium Magnets!  (Read 3862 times)

brokengun

Why we respect Neodymium Magnets!
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »
I found this today while doing some browsing. Poor guy pretty much lost his finger tip to a pair of N45 magnets. Granted, these are stronger and larger than the ones most people will come in contact with while building a small wind turbine, but still ouch...

Warning: contains some nasty images!

http://www.magnetnerd.com/Neodymium%20Magnets/Dirks%20Accident.htm

Reminds me of those auto crash videos they showed in drivers Ed. Gross but drive home the point. Big NEOs are Dangerous

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:21:15 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Why we respect Neodymium Magnets!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
The only way to separate those now is to heat them until they degauss. They should have been sold with keepers. I'm suprised he didn't get a face full of scrapnel. I guess the finger kept them from shattering from the collision.

You could pull a car from a canal with those.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:01:08 PM by dnix71 »

Airstream

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
I'm not e v e n going to look.  Thanks for the warning(s).

Something about magnets defy human evolutionary good sense, it unfortunately can be Darwin's Law in action. Where I found myself getting into trouble with larger magnets was casual experimenting with the designated 'extra' I bought to avoid damaging the real 'set' ... somehow I kept getting painfully intercepted by hand tools & hardware that never had moved before. I set up a clean new workbench in a room without metal just to work with them!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:41:52 PM by Airstream »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »
good grief, what a wussy!! :)

try getting an index finger between the body and chuck of a saber saw sometime

when you pull the trigger the same thing happens as did with the magnets, only about 50times before you can get your other index finger off the trigger!

you just mash it back into reasonable shape, tape it up with black tape, crack open a beer and go right back to work!

surgery?

ya, right

obviously this guy has not lived in the mechanical world long.

1. weeks after the saber saw accident, i ran a cutting torch over the now beginning to heal finger,, really made a mess of it,, more water, more black tape
  2. months later, starting to be able to use it again to pick my nose, and smacked it hard with a 28oz framing hammer,, splat!

more black tape and back to work, after reforming the end to look like it was reasonable round again instead of flat and the size of a silver dollar in diameter.

figured if i had another problem with that finger i would just take a pair of side cutters and finish the damn thing.

as a mechanic if i went in for every smashed finger, well lets just say i would have had a dr. on permanent retainer.

of course if i had my choice i surely would be careful with neo's

bob g

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:18:33 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
I have the same sawsall. Nearly twisted my thumb off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:36:29 PM by TheCasualTraveler »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
its a mean little sonofagun ain't it?

its hard to imagine how bad it can mangle a finger in less than a second

now nearly 40 years later my finger works fine, has all the nerves firing as normal, even has a normal looking fingernail (only have to trim it every 3rd time i trim the others, but it is there), and because it is on the hand i don't write with it does its job very well,, that being what it was designed primarily to do.. (bugger pickin)

lol

bob g

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:44:08 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

BigBreaker

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
It is a bit of a digression but I learned a bit about safety from Nethack, a rogue-like computer game.  It's a dungeon crawler with very basic text graphics but the complexity of the problem solving and strategy is amazing.  That's not the point though of my digression though.

In Nethack there is no saving, no continuing and until much later in the game, no second chances.  A game can take dozens of hours and so the time investment is huge while the game can end in a single wrong keystroke.  Maddening but surprisingly fun too and very satisfying if you beat it - something that can take years of patience.

A rookie to the game dies all the time.  Even knowing all the tricks and secrets you die all the time.  The only way to win the game is to change your mindset.  Slow down, be cautious, think first - act second, because you may not get a second chance.  Many times our instinct in to rush during an emergency but the more dangerous things get the more you need to slow down.

That's really the lesson.  Be careful, plan, slow down, be sensitive to danger and then slow WAY down.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:50:37 AM by BigBreaker »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »
And be very careful about putting magnets in your pants pockets . . .

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/12/23/182013/54

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:56:05 AM by wooferhound »

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »
Double ouch.

Besides, ouch.. first thing that comes to my mind is why didn't one or both of the magnets shatter?

I think that this link/post would be something "everyone" should take a moment and view.

Maybe move it from the newbie section to the everything page?

Not for the weak stomachs but for anyone/everyone that plans on playing with neos.

Mark

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:32:54 PM by 12AX7 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »
Mark;

It is already set to display on both Everything [Front Page] or Newbies. Stories roll off the FP as time goes on.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:58:08 PM by TomW »

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 08:35:17 AM »
Tom;

Don't know why but when I'm logged on here this story doesn't appear either under the front page or everything page. The only way to view it is to look at the newbies page.  However it does show up when I look at these paged before I log on.

I'm running firefox, don't know if it's a bug with me or the board?

Mark

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:35:17 AM by 12AX7 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
Mark;

I can't say because logged in I get different pages than anyone else. I only use the "recent Activity" page myself. A LOT of user story display issues would go away if they used the Recent Activity.

Try going a bit deeper into the pages. It just fell off the first page I suspect. With 12,500+ users things move off the pages fairly fast.

Anyway, its "old" as far as stories go here.

Lots of silly little bugs in this software that will never get fixed so you probably just need to accept that.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:01:58 AM by TomW »

kurt

• website
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »
it is a settings thing most people who have been around a long time have there preferences set so that when they are logged in the everything and the front page appear to be the same page. you can change that if you want it is in one of the preferences menus. links are over to the right of the page in the box with your nick at the top when you are logged in. i forget exactly what one it is in but it is there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 01:19:07 PM by kurt »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
To see the front page properly when logged in . . .

Find the Box on the righthand side of any page that has your UserName on it

Click "Display Preferences" in that box

Click the Pull Down Box next to the "Start Page" heading

Inside that box select "Front Page"

Lastly click the box at the bottom of the page "Save Preferences"

That ought to fix ya ?!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:08:21 AM by wooferhound »

warpsta

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 05:51:10 AM »
Perhaps a little bit of health and safety would have helped ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:51:10 AM by warpsta »