Author Topic: Fiberglass Cloth subtitute on stator  (Read 2687 times)

zack wanambwa

Fiberglass Cloth subtitute on stator
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:41:48 PM »
Hallo

I believe i am now ready to start building my first windmill.I have really really learnt alot from this site and the "google search" tool is just amazing. However, i need a substitute that i can use in place of the fiberglass cloth in the stator. Fiberglass cloth is just not available in this country (Kenya)or rather, i cant seem to get my hands on any! Is there any one out there who has used a different material? please advice
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:41:48 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: Fiberglass Cloth subtitute on stator
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
 If you can't locate any fiberglass cloth locally it is really just used for extra reinforcement and not a requirement in building a stator. However i am sure you could find a company on the Internet that would ship to just about any location. It could easily be shipped by regular mail. I am surprised, however that you could find the resin and can't get the fiberglass. These two products usually go hand in hand.

The only real substitutes would most likely be harder to find than fiberglass, those being Kevlar cloth (expensive and requires possibly a different resin than what you have found), and carbon fiber cloth, also expensive and less likely to be found locally than fiberglass.

http://www.uscomposites.com/cloth.html is just one example (no I don't necessarily recommend this business personally) but doing a search in google will find you a long list of suppliers, from large companies to little hobby suppliers.

Surely you could find one that will ship to you.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:23:49 AM by zeusmorg »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »
If you can locate some glass thermal insulating material this has loose glass fibres that you could work into the surface of the resin with a brush. It would be awkward and messy but would still give strength. In fact with that material you could add it to the bulk resin and the extra strength would probably make the surface cloth unnecessary.

There may be other forms of glass fibre that you can get such as chopped strand mat if you know where to look. Try boat builders or car repair places if you have any in

the area.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:35:06 AM by Flux »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:35:07 AM »
bug screen

polyester fabric

chopped fiber type automobile body repair/ filler

boat repair industry
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:35:07 AM by electrondady1 »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
Here there has been quite lot of research about using linen cloth. They say that it is very good inside the resin, but unfortunately I don't know about the resin, which was used.

- hv

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:54:35 AM by hvirtane »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
I thought about linen but it has a low temperature rating. It should be fine in a low wind area but some of these windings are pushing the temperature limits close to class H at full power. Linen is class A and will be really struggling with temperatures over 100C. Beyond 120C I suspect the life will be very short.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:36:43 AM by Flux »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
Window screen material is good non metallic Also gauze joint tape.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:21:54 PM by tecker »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:19:44 PM »
Fiber glass cloth is used to form auto body filler and to make boats.

http://www.yellowpageskenya.com/?yp=2&mode=15&business=&clid=328&ct=Fibre%20glass&am
p;town=%

http://www.yellowpageskenya.com/?yp=2&mode=15&business=&clid=82&ct=Boat%20Repairs%20
&%20Maintenance&town=%

These two pages have addresses and contact numbers for boat repair and companies that make signs and other items out of fiberglass.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:19:44 PM by dnix71 »

clflyguy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
Zack,

Newspaper... Tear into strips to determine grain direction, wet out with

whatever resin you have and laminate using a 90 degree change in orientation

with each sucessive layer. Very strong and safe to about 451^F.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:10:29 PM by clflyguy »

zack wanambwa

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:50:53 AM »
Thanks everyone, I think i will use the newspaper, it sounds the easiest, though i might try the glass thermal insulating material. I will tell you how it works out. thanks.

Zack

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:50:53 AM by zack wanambwa »