Author Topic: my otherpower design 17ft pictures  (Read 6710 times)

Roger Stafford

Re: my otherpower design 17ft pictures
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »
Hi Brain

Thanks      

The wind gen is in Arkansas, at my daughters house. Thats my problem I can't be there to fine tune it or just set and watch it while I drink a beer.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:06:54 AM by Roger Stafford »

defed

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
Dave, i'm also in WNY and my power is about $.12kWh.  my supply is 5 cents and the delivery is about 7 cents.  now, they have this wonderful 'just to be attached to the grid fee' of $16/mo whether you use anything or not.  if i divide my total bill by the kWh, it costs me about $.19kWh total.  my monthly bill is only $45-$50, 1/3 of that is just for the privilege of having the grid at my house.

i believe NY is a net metering state, but am not sure.  but either way, i will never get a payback for the amount i use by buying wind or solar stuff.  so i try to make my own equipment and get out of it what i can.  for me, it's a hobby, and an emergency power system, not a money making venture.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:52:26 PM by defed »

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »
Defed,

Now take it a step further and this is for prices only as of today.

You (we) would have to produce at least 1/3 more power than we use to get back even with what it costs us to purchase electric from the grid (you have to include ALL the charges) as you are very much aware to get the cost of buying power from the grid.

The grid gets your extra 1/3 power, does not own your equipment and can and will decide how much more to charge you for their power and all the extras that make up that charge. This will continue for as long as any of us are connected to the grid.

How long to payback a grid tied system ? The power companies are deciding this for us every day.

Dave B.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:43:37 PM by Dave B »
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

defed

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
unfortunately, unless i had a MASSIVE system, i can never really be off grid.  i have some hobbies that require up to 10kW/h at close to 50 amps!  also, i have an electric stove and well pump, which are pretty heavy loads.

my plan is to get my 4' test mill up, see what i get, then if all goes well, make a 10'.  i would have a separate breaker box w/ a transfer switch (like would be used for standby generator) and run all my light duty loads...lighting, tv, computer.  the rest would remain on grid and the transfer switch would allow me to go back to full grid if needed.  at least it works out in my mind and would maybe take $5 - $10 a month off of my bill.

so no matter what...i'll always be a slave to the grids $16 fee for being hooked up.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:55:16 PM by defed »