Author Topic: Would This be appropriate use??  (Read 3489 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Would This be appropriate use??
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:51 AM »
As a supplemental source of income I have started listing items on Ebay for a nearby industrial and commercial surplus outlet. I basically list stuff from their inventory that is unlikely to be sought by walk in customers and list it in my Ebay store or as auctions that fall into the store when the auction expires.

I just started a few weeks ago so still working out the bugs. Now I know why it is called "FeeBay" Heh.

To the point:

I have cracked down on a LOT of folks here pimping commercial sites. I am struggling with whether or not me posting occasional links and photos in the classifieds would create a conflict of interest or make me more of a hypocrite than many already think I am?

As a fer instance I currently have these possibly quite useful 500MCM to 3/8 inch stud 3 phase terminal blocks that could be quite useful in an RE system:

Stuff you don't find at Lowes or Home Depot

I can also look for specific items and sell them directly. Never know what may show up in inventory. Pneumatics, Hydraulics, motors, refrigeration, Electrical, hand tools and machine tools flow like water through the place.

So, folks is this appropriate or not?

Opinions appreciated.

Tom

Just trying to do what is right.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:50:51 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Would This be appropriate use??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »
Here's my thoughts:

In this forum, as it exists, it would be rather annoying to see the same guy posting in classifieds every 5-7 days. Especially if was the same old stuff every time. I say this mainly because it is mostly impossible to cruise the site without getting hit in the face with a classified ad.

If they migrate to a new forum, It would probably be less obtrusive to post in classifieds on a regular basis because there is generally a list of categories, and if I was not looking to by stuff, I would just not click on the "classified" section.

Now if you just want to tell us the name of your Ebay store, or even put it in your sig line, I see no problems with that. Might want to check with the guys on the mountain first though.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:46:26 AM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »
Go with it  I wanted a pdb the other day and had to dig for quit a while .If cool stuf was offered here I would frequent the classified .
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:19:41 AM by tecker »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:22:53 AM »
VF;

After posting this I thought of the .sig line with a link to my store.

I realize now I put this in classifieds by mistake, too.

As an indirect pimp my ebay ID is tw_surplus and a quick search there will kick out the link to me on ebay, for anyone interested.

Moving this to newbies after I post this.

Hoping one of the folks from the Home Office chimes in here, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:22:53 AM by TomW »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »
when we set up our microcogen forum we established two boards

one is for posting the wares of dealers and the other is stuff for sale by

members

and we avidly promote posting in both area's

its nice to have them located within these two seperate boards so you can go there

to not only check on stuff for sale, but also contact information.

my personal belief is anyone selling anything that is useful to the membership should be granted space to advertize those items, its of mutual benefit as some folks live in area's where finding surplus items is near impossible and just knowing something exists is sometime of high value on its own.

having those two boards down toward the bottom of our forum makes them not at all obnoxious or obtrusive, you have to pan down the page to find them.

so far no one is bitchin so it must be working

bob g

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:47:18 AM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Fused

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
I'd give ya $2 for that block with free shipping! :)

Actually, I'd rather buy from someone here on the board myself. It has to be better than lining the pockets of others I wouldn't know from tin buck two. Might even help the "attitude" when sales are at risk, hehe.

Good luck Tom.

Fused

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:52:48 AM by Fused »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
I agree with everybody
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:46:45 AM by wooferhound »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 01:08:56 PM »
Woooooof
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:08:56 PM by tecker »

Rover

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
TomW

I'm actually more jealous that you have found and avenue for more income.

I'm not upet by it being in classifieds if it has a bearing on RE.

Pink Frilly dresses showing up, probably not a good idea

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:06:49 PM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Rover

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 02:12:25 PM »
Another 2 cents...

1. You may want to think about condensing multiple items into one post and posting periodically

2. Heheh I'd be worried about somone buying one of the listed items and not being happy with it. Feedback, probably won't be as nice as Ebay in here.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:12:25 PM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

Fused

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
Id also be wondering about the next guy selling here in the same manor but undercutting your prices. Might be a whole new war.

Still, good luck.

Fused

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:41:40 PM by Fused »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »
Geez I have no problem with it.  I think it's great if this board can help put folks in touch with the stuff they need... be it 'stuff' or... just information.

I also agree with Volvo Farmer ~ it could get annoying if it comes up all the time to the same store.  I know TomW would never abuse the place though so I'm not worried in the least - I say go for it Tom, and... I'm glad somebody can put me in touch with all the cool stuff at that surplus store that I never seem to have time to drop by at when I'm in Iowa.

I've always used this place to promote my own ebay ads too (depending).

I'm just curious how everyone is going to feel when I start using the classifieds section to sell all our spare volvo parts ;-)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:24:10 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »
personally I think its great. there are items that I can't seem to find and wish someone had a hand on them. plus  how about bartering items. ( in the clasifieds or in a barter section). I'm doing that with the ECM's that I have been lucky enough to have found a company that likes what I am doing in RE. But If you have a large inventory it maybe more favorable to use linking to a store or web site easer than spending hours typing lists in clasifieds just to move 4 pages down never to be seen. ( the land of apples and pine cones my wife says ).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:12:21 PM by divemaster1963 »

hayfarmer

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
I think if there was a list of surplus R.E. stuff members had that could be found by a search that it would benefit everyone who could buy or sell or barter to expedite more R.E. to make POWER.may get that second mill going,sooner than never.

a swap meet of R.E.

JMHO
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:58:53 PM by hayfarmer »

FishbonzWV

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 03:13:28 AM »
Tom,

I think the link in the sig line is the way to go.

But, if you have RE items that you are going to offer to the members without ebay that would be appropriate in the classifieds.

I have some small motor conversions done and offered them here after ebay sales were over. But, I kind of feel bad about reposting on FL every month. If I could bump the thread to the top I would do that though.

Bonz
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:13:28 AM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
Thanks to all who responded. From my [rather biased] perspective I see approval of the idea in general at least.

Rest assured I would approach this with some tact. Certainly not a daily thing but just make a classy fried ad post when I get an item or 2 that would be of interest here as RE components. Post a photo and or link so folks could click thru if interested.

Not sure if I can actually direct sell here because of my agreement with the surplus place and I would rather not do that for several other reasons including the fact that stuff drifts off into the depths of history fast here and therefore are generally "gone forever" unless you are motivated to find it.

I am actually interested in passing on good deals more than making any real money. So far I am in deeper on expense than I have brought in but I fully expected that in the beginning.

Again, if there is anything you are actively looking for I will put it on our "watch for" list.

Not much of specific RE interest now other than those terminal blocks and some interesting miscellaneous controls breakers, etc. Have a look if interested:

http://stores.ebay.com/tw-surplus-World

Thanks.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:32:53 AM by TomW »

erne

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:46:23 AM »
tom

how would I go about putting somthing on the watch for list. I live kind of rural and dont get out much. I need a dual disconect that will handle 4 ought cavling.. thanks erne
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:46:23 AM by erne »

valterra

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 06:57:07 AM »
HERE is a direct link to the eBay Store.  :-)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:57:07 AM by valterra »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 07:58:49 AM »
erne;

You mean a 2 pole manual switch?

And for what voltage / current range?

Currently I don't know of anything that beefy in a disconnect in stock but will ask them when I get a chance to talk to them. They are 50 miles from me so I only get there a few times a month.  4/0 is pretty big I guess that is about half inch rod size for quick sorting?

Hopefully soon we will have a modern board software that will allow Private Messages between users on the board. Until then, I have not come up with a plan on contacting me other than going to Ebay and sending a message through there. Or simply posting here to one of my comments or stories.

Sorry, I do not publish my email address online at all.  Kind of winging it here as I go along.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:58:49 AM by TomW »

bj

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
   Tom--IF you have a hypocrite bone in your body, I'll bet it's lonely.

Answer to your question--Appropriate.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:37:33 AM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

erne

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »
I have16,  L-16's and want to split them into 2 battery banks that have independent solar sources. I want the ability to switch from one to the other. It is a 24 volt  Outback system. My cabling is 4-ought  to the inverter. The rural fire dept wants me to put a outside disconnect on the outside of the house. When I checked for a dual transfer switch that would do the job the electrical outlet wanted $900 for one. There was a transfer switch on your site but I couldn't find any specs on wire size. I figure that if I have to put the disconnect in I might as well try to improve my battery system. Every thing says it would be better to have fewer strings and that would do the job and still give me the storage.   erne
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:55:20 PM by erne »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
erne;

That Square D 3 phase transfer switch you mentioned is rated at 60 amps AC or DC but it has kind of wimpy terminals only good for like #2 or something. I think you could change that as the terminations are bolted to the buss bar and they even mention  other terminations are available on the label. Its not cheap but its not $900 either.

You could add a pair of those big terminal blocks I have to step down to smaller short jumpers, too.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:57:59 PM by TomW »

erne

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 06:11:23 AM »
got it on order thanks tom. erne
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:11:23 AM by erne »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 07:12:20 AM »
Thanks, erne. It will ship either Saturday or by Monday for sure.

Thanks again.

Tom

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:12:20 AM by TomW »