Author Topic: Wind powered immersion Hot Tank heating  (Read 1022 times)

JDRYNNE

Wind powered immersion Hot Tank heating
« on: January 09, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
The vast majority of homes in the British Isles have an immersion hot water tank containing 90 to 200ltrs of water. Most tanks have one or two mains powered (circa 230volt) water heating elements in the tank.

I measured the elements in my tank at 19ohms and 27ohms respectively, or yielding 2.7kW and 2kW of power respectively. This makes sense as the first, longer element is on when the the immersion is set to "Bath" and the shorter element is on when the switch is set to "Sink". (The elements enter the tank from above and hot water is drawn off from the top). I am told the the 19ohm, 2.7kW, element is typical in tanks with one element or those that are fed with an in-line water heating element.

I have a 3 phase, nominally 192v, wind turbine, max power 1.5kW. I would like to have it drive one or other heating element but preferably the 19ohm element.

I am aware of the difficulty of presenting a large load to a wind turbine in that it will act as a very effective brake. I have read most, I think, of what has been said here over the years on the subject of resistive heating. The view seems to be that Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) and/or Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) controllers are required to get the most effective transfer of wind energy into water thermal energy. There is also the problem that the elements have safety heat sensors which switch out the element when a preset temperature is reached meaning that turbine power must then go to a dump load.

Are there any suitable commercial controllers or drawings/schematics of same

available? Any one done this already?

TIA.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:54:34 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Wind powere
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:29:23 AM »
You could check with Proven Wind Turbines, they may have done some heating controls, but I think you are going to be on your own.

With the single heater, your best option does seem to be a pwm controller or a thristor / diode mixed bridge if your turbine permits and you can solve several issues with the firing circuit.

As you say, you will need to divert power to something else when the thermostat opens, but that is the least of the issues.

Flux

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:29:23 AM by Flux »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Wind powered immersion Hot Tank heating
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:15:06 PM »
Here is a story by a guy that was hooking up heating elements to his turbine to slow it down in high winds

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/1/9/51358/71572

If others are having trouble commenting to this story. then remove the "Quotes" from the subject line when writing your comment. The software that runs this message board does not like "quotes" in the Subject Line...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 04:15:06 PM by wooferhound »

matthie

Re: Wind powered immersion Hot Tank heating
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:28 AM »
Hi TIA,

Have you made any progress on a solution to heating an immersion without stalling the

turbine? I want to avoid using batteries and a grid tie-inverter, but I'm not sure about using a PWM regulator to control the load across a heating element.

Regards,

Matthie..

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:44:28 AM by matthie »